Occasional missing at idle and sound of water flowing !

pdsuperb

Sorry people, these are the last two concerns i have, everything else is fine, I did a search but couldnt find much..

Occasionally when cold my car has seemd to miss at idle, as if its "missed a beat" maybe once every 30 seconds from a cold start in the morning, does this a few times then its ok? Any suggestions, also when i prime the fuel pump in the morning, i can hear it, it sounds like there is air in it, i do it again and it sounds good.. I suppose this is normal..

Secondly i can hear what seems to be the coolant flowing whilst driving, like flowing water, consistent with revs, just behind the dash, i assume its the heater matrix but is it normal to hear it flowing? Out of all my cars ive only heard this once and that was on a range rover p38 diesel and that had a leaky matrix..

Apart from that the Skodas ok and i have just realised its an ex taxi whilst cleaning out the drivers footwell..

Cheers people.

Edited by pdsuperb

Sorry people, these are the last two concerns i have, everything else is fine, I did a search but couldnt find much..

Occasionally when cold my car has seemd to miss at idle, as if its "missed a beat" maybe once every 30 seconds from a cold start in the morning, does this a few times then its ok? Any suggestions, also when i prime the fuel pump in the morning, i can hear it, it sounds like there is air in it, i do it again and it sounds good.. I suppose this is normal..

Secondly i can hear what seems to be the coolant flowing whilst driving, like flowing water, consistent with revs, just behind the dash, i assume its the heater matrix but is it normal to hear it flowing? Out of all my cars ive only heard this once and that was on a range rover p38 diesel and that had a leaky matrix..

Apart from that the Skodas ok and i have just realised its an ex taxi whilst cleaning out the drivers footwell..

Cheers people.

regarding it being a taxi, i shouldnt worry about it really as from my experience (being a taxi driver with the same car), a taxi has to be in check all the time, and are maintained alot more than a non taxi due to the strict mot tests ect.

regarding it being a taxi, i shouldnt worry about it really as from my experience (being a taxi driver with the same car), a taxi has to be in check all the time, and are maintained alot more than a non taxi due to the strict mot tests ect.

Thats one way of looking at it ! :)

Regarding the sound of the flowing water, I would check under the battery. I had the very same problem last time. Started up the car and started to hear that noise at each turn. Went home, opened up the hood, there was water under the battery, all the way up to the bottom of it. Removed the battery, cleaned the drain and all the water disappeared. No flowing water noise anymore.

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

sorry to dig up this old post, but unfortunatly i have exact the same problem.

Though i am not losint coolent yet.

Secondly i can hear what seems to be the coolant flowing whilst driving, like flowing water, consistent with revs, just behind the dash, i assume its the heater matrix but is it normal to hear it flowing?

I see this post has not ended with the solution - did anyone had something similar or is familiar with this?

Thank you for any reply.

I am new owner of Superb I 1.9 85kw  BPZ engine

Thanks bigjohn for a quick reply.

When i pull back the hose, do i need to start the car or not and if, do i stop the engine and then put back the hose or do i do this while the engine is still running?

Still an open question:

Occasionally when cold my car has seems to miss at idle, as if its "missed a beat" maybe once every 30 seconds or less from a cold start in the morning, does this until reaches the temperature, than its gone

AS well, only when the car is cold there is an occasional rattle every few seconds) coming from the clutch or similar. When i press the clutch it stops (maybe a clutch bearing? - but again this would be doing on the warm car as well but it doesn't)

Any suggestions, also when i prime the fuel pump in the morning, i can hear , it sounds like there is air in it, i do it again and it sounds good.. Is this normal?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks bigjohn for a quick reply.

When i pull back the hose, do i need to start the car or not and if, do i stop the engine and then put back the hose or do i do this while the engine is still running?

Still an open question:

Occasionally when cold my car has seems to miss at idle, as if its "missed a beat" maybe once every 30 seconds or less from a cold start in the morning, does this until reaches the temperature, than its gone

AS well, only when the car is cold there is an occasional rattle every few seconds) coming from the clutch or similar. When i press the clutch it stops (maybe a clutch bearing? - but again this would be doing on the warm car as well but it doesn't)

Any suggestions, also when i prime the fuel pump in the morning, i can hear , it sounds like there is air in it, i do it again and it sounds good.. Is this normal?

Sorry missed the reply

Any bleed valves on the heater hoses near the bulkhead

Rattle may be the Dual Mass Flywheen

ok
i did the bleeding but i guess i did it wrong.

Does need to be car running at idle? (or even rev it in the process?)during bleeding or should be done with the engine off.
and does the cap from the cooling container need to be off during the process?
I have been reading posts here and on the passat forum - but i see mixed messages. Some say engine off, some running, some raving, some cap off and some with cap on ...i am confused to be honest...

i have exposed the breathing hole and raised the container (cap on) then started the car ...almost immediately i got the coolant out - stop it put the hose back .... before i could hear water swooshing in the dash until engine was cold -- now i could hear water swooshing all the time (almost) .. so i guess i did even worse. Help please!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

to recap this ...in  this time i did several bleeding's with no result. Yesterday i did a core flush and there were a lot of rust cruds came out.

no it finally seams i have cured the swoosh sound it the dash.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 1.06.2016 at 11:39, pinstripe said:

to recap this ...in  this time i did several bleeding's with no result. Yesterday i did a core flush and there were a lot of rust cruds came out.

no it finally seams i have cured the swoosh sound it the dash.

If I were you I would change the heater matrix for a new one. It might be a matter of time until it starts to leak, or it might not, it's just my opinion. And bleeding the cooling system isn't always helping. I had the same problem and changing the heater matrix eliminated the swooshing sound and fixed problem with loosing coolant. If the heater matrix is dirty, rusted or blocked in any other way, the pressure of coolant is rising and the fluid is thrown out by the hole on the bottom of expansion tank.

I'm sorry for digging up that old post, just wanted to share my experience with you :)