Daylight Running on new Octavia

I'm told I need the Skoda dealer to turn on the DRLs on my new Octavia Elegance and, presumably if needed to turn them off again!

How are these lights protected in the fuse box? If the dealer turns them on can I turn them off by removing a fuse?

Sorry if this is a simple problem but I could use the fuse method on the DRLs on my old SAAB.

The dealer needs to activate them, once activated you can turn them on and off as you like from within the car using the stalk. I believe the feature is on your car now because if i remember from next year all new cars need DRL's

My Elegance (built December 2010) just needed to have them activated. After that there is an option in Maxidot to turn them on/off.

The handbook details how to turn them on/off using the stalk for those without Maxidot, but they need activating 1st by a dealer or someone with a VCDS cable.

I believe the feature is on your car now because if i remember from next year all new cars need DRL's

This is not the case, only new models (eg. Octavia MK3) being launched will require them. Existing models still being sold are not required to have them. Some non EU countries (eg. Austria) have banned their use following trials where accident rates increased, so you there will be a way to switch them on/off manually.

Bulgaria: Contrary to the theoretical academic meta analysis reports (i.e. reports on reports) used by the EC to justify DRL, real world figures prove DRL have caused 8.1% more deaths.

Austria: since Daytime Running Lights were banned on 1 January 2008, less accidents for road users have been reported.

(When DRL were introduced into Austria during 2006/07 accidents increased by 12.2%)

Poland: DRL have caused 6% more fatalities

The dealer needs to activate them, once activated you can turn them on and off as you like from within the car using the stalk. I believe the feature is on your car now because if i remember from next year all new cars need DRL's

Thanks for that - the dealer told me that the EU requires new cars from this year sometime to have DLRs fitted, but individual

states need not put them into their own legislation.

This is not the case, only new models (eg. Octavia MK3) being launched will require them. Existing models still being sold are not required to have them. Some non EU countries (eg. Austria) have banned their use following trials where accident rates increased, so you there will be a way to switch them on/off manually.

[/b][/color][/font][/size]

Some non EU countries (eg. Austria) have banned their use following trials where accident rates increased, so you there will be a way to switch them on/off manually.

There are as many if not more statistics that prove DRL's reduce accidents than there are that prove they cause accidents.

As mentioned above because the MkII (current) Octavia was available prior to the legislation (February 2011) being introduced it does not by law have to have them fitted. DRL's are now as much of a marketable feature than any other option hence the reason most manufacturers are retro fitting them to their current models.

Once your dealer (or friendly member with VCDS) activates them for you then you are able to turn them on and off at will using the indicator stalk as described in your manual.

Bulgaria: Contrary to the theoretical academic meta analysis reports (i.e. reports on reports) used by the EC to justify DRL, real world figures prove DRL have caused 8.1% more deaths.

Austria: since Daytime Running Lights were banned on 1 January 2008, less accidents for road users have been reported.

(When DRL were introduced into Austria during 2006/07 accidents increased by 12.2%)

Poland: DRL have caused 6% more fatalities

Stats can be used to prove anything. I downloaded a report which showed an increase of 8% in accidents since DRLs had been introduced and then found the actual figures they pulled the stats from, and in the same period of time there was a 20% increase in cars on the road so the number of accidents per thousand vehicles on the road had actually reduced... But that figure didn't suit the anti-DRL brigade that were shouting about the increased number of accidents so they just didn't point that fact out...

The only way to check everything out is to ignire the headlines that people are shouting about and actually analyse all the figures before coming to any conclusion.

In my opinion DRLs are a good thing, before the vRS I used to drive everywhere with dipped headlights on to make the car more visible as I found that when I didn't, the silver car blended into the background too much and the less observant drivers on the roads just didn't see the car. I had far fewer people pull out in fornt of me when using the headlights as DRLs than when no lights were on...

It was the same with "chip & pin".

Search around and you'll find numerous reports that say it doesn't help in car fraud at all.

But at the same time there are plenty of reports that say the opposit.

I think they are a good thing, higher visibility the better. Since I got my Vrs in May, in white, I find people are very wary of me, maybe they think I am undercover police trafic officers. But I AM given plenty of room & people especially taxi drivers do not pull out in front of me.