1.2 tsi service action (just short of recall) by skoda and vw

rc__46

skoda and vw dealers are instructed to replace timing chain on early 1.2 tsi engines. it is not an official recall yet so they are doing it on a vehicles scheduled for regular service first or ones already affected (engine noise/rattle on cold start up).

Thanks and interesting; our September 2010 Fabia TSI 85 had it's first service 2 weeks ago but nothing was mentioned then.

Will enquire.

Regards,

TP

Well just given our local dealer a quick call, their currently not aware of any such bulletins and they could not find anything on their system on checking.

TP

Well just given our local dealer a quick call, their currently not aware of any such bulletins and they could not find anything on their system on checking.

TP

hi,

i am not sure because the details are fuzzy and only vin check by the dealer will tell for sure. but i guess it's only the early models - up to week 22/ 2010

Just off the phone with John from Skoda Customer Service.

Currently, there is no recall or service action in the UK. However, they would be informing individual customers by mail if this happens.

If anyone has received such letter or notification, do keep us updated!

Thanks!

It isn't a recall it's just information for the dealers. Skoda are just saying that this is a possible scenario with some vehicles in the UK. There are some 220 possibly affected vehicles in the UK spread over Fabia, Fabia Estate, Roomster, Octavia Hatchback, Octavia Estate and Yeti so it isn't especially wide spread or anything.

If you do get the problem you may experience a rattling noise and possible running problems, also the engine warning light should illuminate.

Also worth noting that only 10 of the possibly affected 220 vehicles have actually been registered, the other 210 are on the way to dealers and will have the timing chain replaced, as well as the oil and oil filter, plus the chain tensioner and the lower control housing.

It really isn't a problem but if you're worried because you picked up a 1.2TSi very recently then it would be best to ring your dealer and ask them or email me the chassis number and I can check if it is one of the possibly affected.

I think they've done well to detect this so quickly and get the information out so that the dealers can make the changes to the chain system.

In short, don't worry about it.

:thumbup:

Edited by Allams Skoda

• 1 year later...

My June 2010 1.2 yeti has just had the timing chain replaced after 30,000 miles. I have complained since new that occasionally on start up it sounded like a diesel! I almost gave up, but eventually skoda fareham admitted that it was a recall issue!! I am convinced that nothing would have happened had i not made a complaint every time i went in. It took 3 attempts for them to do the job and i shall not be using them out of warranty. It purrs now and made me realise how loud the noise used to be. I highly recommend the work being doneif you can get Skoda to pull their finger out.

• 2 years later...
  • Hi all, Don't ignore your rattle! - 4 weeks ago our rattle noise worsened and the warning light came on drove it to our nearest garage (not Skoda) as we are 30 mins away from a dealer and I was worried about the car's drivability. On reaching the garage car died completely. Garage looked and found chain had messed up engine - called Skoda Uk who advised us that nothing could be talked about until a Skoda dealer had diagnosed the problem and that we should take the car there - paid to have it transported 50 miles(!!!) to garage where we had bought it (on SUK's advice!). 4 weeks later with no vehicle we have been told that because the Skoda dealer (who agreed with the independent garage that it was a timing chain issue) where not the first to look at it SUK will do NOTHING in terms of goodwill and as good as said they do not care if we take them to court! Beware and try to get this sorted asap if you are in any doubt about your chain. I will be shifting from Skoda as soon as I can because I am so frustrated by their lack of responsibility to loyal customers. This is an outrageous situation where they have messed up on the quality of a part and yet refuse to do anything about it. 

I do not know quite how to move forward from here and now face a minimum £3000 bill!!! But if others can learn from this more the better. I used to tell all I knew to buy Skoda as I was so pleased now I feel a right Chump!

Is he a troll, maybe or maybe not. I think the post does strike a chord with owners of earlier 1.2 engine vehicles. I get an occasional rattle on start up with mine and took the car in to my main dealer a couple of months before the warranty expired to check it out. The dealer told me that Skoda had issued a service bulletin stating that the rattle was quite normal and was caused by valve (waste gate?) in turbo. I fear this was a bit of a fob off but made sure they made a record of my initial query and hope that if the chain is found to be the fault (my belief) that Skoda will do the decent thing :sweat:  I really like my Yeti but this is the one thing that worries me about the car and hope it doesn't get any worse before trade in time.

He was/is a troll in the sense that he cut'n'pasted the same message 10 times when just once or as a new thread would have been just as effective.

He also hasn't given enough information, such as was the Service Bulletin actioned, for anyone to make a fair assessment.