Vrs Gearbox upgrade?

Costash

Hi guys!I have a friend of mine with a vrs not stock running about 240hp, and his got problems with his gearbox.It can 't select gears it is stuck in 4th.I think the gear selector is gonne and this is second time for him an wondering if it is any upgrade to be made like S3 gear selector or something??For any info much appreciated! :thumbup:

When was last time box oil was flushed and change,

I looked into a 6 speed upgrade from a leon but there is no single mass flywheel conversion for 6 speeds unless you have really deep pockets

i doubt it was bad from factory !! where did he buy the second one from and how does he drive it ???

for it to break at 240bhp is somewhat strange and isnt due to the amount of power he is running imo.

Q. did he replace the gearbox last time or just the gear selctor unit????? bit confused reading it a second time?? has he tried to align the cables again??? nothing trapping cables???

Edited by missingmyvrs

Hi guys!I have a friend of mine with a vrs not stock running about 240hp, and his got problems with his gearbox.It can 't select gears it is stuck in 4th.I think the gear selector is gonne and this is second time for him an wondering if it is any upgrade to be made like S3 gear selector or something??For any info much appreciated! :thumbup:

Is the clutch still working?

Any gearbox can break. My old corsa chewed it's way through 2 of them. As people have said, the RS gearbox is very strong and will easily cope with 240bhp.

Has your friend tried re-aligning the linkage cables? There's a video on youtube how to do it. You need a 5mm drill bit.

Ad as demonufo said, does the clutch still work?

Edited by rk696

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, i am the friend with the problem at the gearbox. as my friend said i was stuck in 4th gear. This happened to me twice in 3 month. A mechanic opened my gearbox an he did not see a problem . He got out the selectors and put them back, the gearbox is working but when i give full throttle after 4 000 RPM it remains stuck till the rpm goes down..so i can not make a quick change of gear :| I saw the video and i go try to make that, maybe it will help. Thank you for help.

Hi Noroc, that extra description is sort of revealing. How a synchromesh gearbox works is explained here and this makes me wonder if your clutch is maybe dragging slightly, so I'd suggest bleeding the clutch hydraulics before trying anything else.

Hi Noroc, that extra description is sort of revealing. How a synchromesh gearbox works is explained here and this makes me wonder if your clutch is maybe dragging slightly, so I'd suggest bleeding the clutch hydraulics before trying anything else.

Ty Ken, tomorrow i will go to the garage were i repair the car and I will tell them to try to take a look at the clutch. I remember when i took the car back form service there was a NASTY smell of clutch, but i said in my mind maybe they drop some oil on engine...who knows.

I did shift linkage adjustment like it is showed in the video but the problem persists, when i go over 4000 RPM the shift gear is stuck like 1 sec , then is release and i can change next gear.

Engine or gearbox mounts weak? The reason there is a problem changing after revving to the limit is you're waiting for the engine / transmission to return to a position where the lever and cables can select the next gear?

Engine or gearbox mounts weak? The reason there is a problem changing after revving to the limit is you're waiting for the engine / transmission to return to a position where the lever and cables can select the next gear?

Yes Dox is something like this : Lets say that i am in second gear going 5500 rpm , when i hit the clutch the shift gear is stuck [the clutch is down to the floor 100 %] , after 1 sec maybe less the rpm goes like 3000 and then the shift gear is released and i can change 3rd gear. I must say that the engine works fine and pulls very well and the problem persists in every gear only in big RPM`s , so i believe is a clutch or gearbox problem. [sorry if my English is pour ] Best regards.

Yes Dox is something like this : Lets say that i am in second gear going 5500 rpm , when i hit the clutch the shift gear is stuck [the clutch is down to the floor 100 %] , after 1 sec maybe less the rpm goes like 3000 and then the shift gear is released and i can change 3rd gear. I must say that the engine works fine and pulls very well and the problem persists in every gear only in big RPM`s , so i believe is a clutch or gearbox problem. [sorry if my English is pour ] Best regards.

My link

Too much engine movement causing gear change problems?

Sorry i do not quite understand that...you say that maybe the engine is physical moving ?

Yes :) and until it returns to its usual position the next gear is difficult to engage.

dogbone mount

Thats the cheapest I've found for a polly bush.

Good thought mate; it's entirely possible for it to be "engine shunt" too.