Octavia 4x4 or Scout

pete5

Hi All

Posted this on new member area as well!

Just found this site. I run a 2001 Fabia 1.9td as a runabout but also currently own and tow with a 07 Kia Sorento auto diesel but as I'm changing to a smaller less heavy van I don't need such a big thirsty 4x4. I'm considering changing to a Automatic Octavia estate 4x4 possibly a Scout for towing my next caravan. Does anyone on here tow a van with theirs and if so what's it like? What weight van do you tow and what sort of MPG do you get out of it towing & solo. Is there anything I should be looking out for when I eventually find one?

Thanks for any help

Pete

I don't tow but I have a Scout (08 TDi 140 pd) and get 45 mpg average (real figure, not indicated, and standard). The scout has updated suspension over the 4x4 and therefore I think a better tow rating, otherwise the only difference I believe is that the scout has more standard equipment and a bit of under body protection. I like it, especially traversing the Pennines through the Peak District on back roads throughout winter.

Note there was an engine change from 2010 (I think) to a common rail diesel from the VAG PD system. This dropped the CO2 on the Scout from 173 to 155 g/km and a corresponding decrease in fuel consumption. Mine is the mew engine and it returns 50mpg + or - 3mpg depending on conditions according to the trip computer. Mine dropped to the low end of that range fully loaded plus roofbox which I think is fine.

The Scout looks more like a 4x4 due to its beefier bumpers, bigger wheels and silver 'pretend' bumper inserts, and as above gets more under-body protection. It also has a nice standard specification.

A few Scout owners on here tow caravans and seem very pleased with performance, handling and economy.

The problem is lead times on new Scouts and 4x4's means used values are very high on what is already a rare care. A new order will see a minimum 8 month leadtime unless you are lucky and can find a cancelled or dealer stock order.

Not sure about the 4x4 but automatic (DSG) was only made available on the Scout very recently (so only on the face lifted versions). A quick look at used Scouts (Skoda UK, Autotrader and eBay Motors) will reveal that you won't get a DSG equipped one for less than £20K. Infact there are currently no used DSG equipped 4x4's or Scout's on Skoda's used car search.

Even 4 year old high mileage pre-FL manual Scouts often achieve £12-15K.

Don't be put off though, the reason they are hard to come by is because they are a great car and owners like me are keen to hang on to them!

Even 4 year old high mileage pre-FL manual Scouts often achieve £12-15K.

I'm always amazed at this as I bought a scout 18 months ago which was 18 months old with 30k miles and lots of extras like xenons and mfst\maxidot and Bluetooth for £12k. I can't believe that 18 months later with an extra 30k miles on it is still worth the same!!

I'm always amazed at this as I bought a scout 18 months ago which was 18 months old with 30k miles and lots of extras like xenons and mfst\maxidot and Bluetooth for £12k. I can't believe that 18 months later with an extra 30k miles on it is still worth the same!!

Me too, bought my 18 month old 8,000 mile Scout with xenon's 2 years ago for £14K.

Similar Scout's are now £16K!

Just back from a weekend in sunny Coventry with my Scout and Xplore 452 caravan. Manual petrol 24 mpg. Same journey without van it will do about 39 mpg.

We also have a Subaru forester automatic petrol which does about 21 and 32 for similar journey.

We don't do enough miles to justify a diesel, but I wouldn't change anyway. You really will love Scout, it's almost as good as my old Subaru turbo L series (aka suicide due to lack of stopping power).

The auto can never make up it's mind which gear to use and the manual Scout has cruise control to help keep to 60 mph in 5th gear (6th would be pushing even a Scout).

Good luck with you decision.

I tow a lightweight Elddis 350/2 with my 1.8 TSI petrol manual. I average about 25mpg towing on urban roads and can get up to 30mpg towing on a motorway. Solo, I get about 30mpg in short trips around hilly, busy Brighton and can just squeak 40mpg on a long run in the countryside.

Check out my Spirit Monitor below in my sig.

Hi All

Posted this on new member area as well!

Just found this site. I run a 2001 Fabia 1.9td as a runabout but also currently own and tow with a 07 Kia Sorento auto diesel but as I'm changing to a smaller less heavy van I don't need such a big thirsty 4x4. I'm considering changing to a Automatic Octavia estate 4x4 possibly a Scout for towing my next caravan. Does anyone on here tow a van with theirs and if so what's it like? What weight van do you tow and what sort of MPG do you get out of it towing & solo. Is there anything I should be looking out for when I eventually find one?

Thanks for any help

Pete

The other option is a Yeti 4x4 DSG CR140TDI. smaller boot, smaller car, amazingly big and more versatile on the inside.

Mike

edit: tows very well too.

When I sold my old Octavia (2.0TDI Elegance) I was dead keen on getting a Yeti, but after a test drive my wife commented that it seemed to be less car for more money - particularly the luggage space.

We couldn't see how family camping holidays would work given the boot space especially with a spare wheel specified. The roofbox would also be less accessible.

We went for a Scout and haven't regretted it - it's also more economical on motorway runs.