NEED HELP /ADVICE

Carp Catcher

Got my new Roomie in July, 1.6 tdi 105. Fuel consumption up to 1700 miles great, on average 55mpg, couldn't wait for engine to loosen up. Now 2200 I have to drive like Miss Daisy to get 43mpg. I managed to achieve 46mpg this morning taking it to the garage for them to check and guess what they found nothing wrong. Twice on journeys in a fortnight the tick over has reached 1000rpm and not because the fan was running. Did the same tonight when I pulled in to the drive and was accompanied by a burning 'plastic type' smell from under the car. If this was the DPF clearing itself, there was no warning light activated. Other people with Fabias with the same engines are able to regularly achieve 55 - 65mpg on journeys. I'm not heavy footed, I used to get 50+mpg for a 3 mile journey to and from work. So is it me or could something be wrong? Do I need to take it back to garage? Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks for that, would the 'Miss Daisy' driving contribute to the frequency of the regen?

One thing I forgot to ask is do the new Roomsters have a rev limiter while in neutral, 2500rpm is the maximum I can reach?

Mine is 1.2 Tsi and yes she has a rev limiter, at about 2.700 rpm. The limiter is there to protect turbo and engine.

As about 'Miss Daisy' driving. A friend of mine is a Nissan Pathfinder 2.5 turbo diesel owner. Every time his DPF check light appears he gets his monster out of the city and drives it for about 10 minutes in 2nd - 3rd - 4rth gear and in high revs. Then his light goes off. But of course his engine is about twice ours.

Thanks for that, would the 'Miss Daisy' driving contribute to the frequency of the regen?

One thing I forgot to ask is do the new Roomsters have a rev limiter while in neutral, 2500rpm is the maximum I can reach?

Unfortunately if your mainly doing short trips you probably would have been better going petrol, as diesels with a DPF need regular long runs to keep the system clear. Noticed with our Yeti even on the 36 mile commute to work, that more regens occur if I drive for economy (which can reach 60 mpg on the Maxidot in ideal conditions B) ). So I tend vary the journeys with a mix of economy runs and holding lower gears for longer and pushing her on a bit where possible; the latter being the engines preferred driving style :giggle:

TP

DPF regens aside diesels like to be "cleaned" by running in higher revs every now and then. I imagine seing a definite increase in MPG of our old 1.9 TDI Roomie after driving hard for a couple of miles. I have a good stretch of highway next to were we live and every now and then I used to accelerate hard up to the red mark and then drive for a couple of miles in fairly high revs. Between those "cleaning" runs my driving style was more "miss daisy" with a good overall fuel ecomony as a result. There seems to be some truth to the "floor it in third" fix :)