Skoda Octavia or Seat Altea XL

Baseon your criteria, why not try for a VRS? I'd have one over an Elegance any time and you can easily pick a 170PD up for that money. 50mpg is also achievable - ask anybody on here. The road presence is superior, ride is still excellent and its a darn site sportier than an Altea. Live a little :thumbup:

I was ready to dismiss your idea straight away. I'd love a vRS but when checking there were never any around with 40,000 miles on for less than £10K.

A quick check on Autotrader revealed these two, one even has xenon's which I assumed I'd never be able to find on a used car.

Now you've gone and done it, I'd pretty much convinced myself that the Altea was the one.

I'll do a search on here to understand mpg a little more. Hopefully a manual PD vRS will still manage 50mpg at around 70mph...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201136414693592/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/fuel-type/diesel/model/octavia/make/skoda/postcode/yo325zs/page/1/keywords/vrs/radius/1500?logcode=p

I reckon the number plate is worth a few quid on this one too...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201137415670495/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/fuel-type/diesel/model/octavia/make/skoda/postcode/yo325zs/radius/1500/keywords/vrs/page/1?logcode=p

Edited by silver1011

Given the distances involved and the cars suggested I'd have thought that the best way to save money on fuel would be to make

60-80, 60-70.

Just a thought.....

You are right, a 10mph drop in speed reduces fuel consumption dramatically. Keep it around 60mph and I would be laughing all the way to the bank.

I've managed it before too, for a day or two. It doesn't matter how hard I try my speed creeps up again. It's just so much easier to keep up with the flow of traffic which is generally between 70 and 80mph.

I was ready to dismiss your idea straight away. I'd love a vRS but when checking there were never any around with 40,000 miles on for less than £10K.

A quick check on Autotrader revealed these two, one even has xenon's which I assumed I'd never be able to find on a used car.

Now you've gone and done it, I'd pretty much convinced myself that the Altea was the one.

I'll do a search on here to understand mpg a little more. Hopefully a manual PD vRS will still manage 50mpg at around 70mph...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201136414693592/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/fuel-type/diesel/model/octavia/make/skoda/postcode/yo325zs/page/1/keywords/vrs/radius/1500?logcode=p

I reckon the number plate is worth a few quid on this one too...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201137415670495/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/fuel-type/diesel/model/octavia/make/skoda/postcode/yo325zs/radius/1500/keywords/vrs/page/1?logcode=p

The first one is cat D. Did you spot that? Does it matter to you? Second has cruise control which could be handy with your mileage.

No I didn't spot that, thanks. To be honest Cat D wouldn't bother me as long as I could see photo's of the damage and receipts to prove the repair. It's often the smaller details that make me nervous, the incorrect position of the vRS badge on the grill and the additional badges on the front door rubbing strips.

The second one is older but as you say gets some nice extra's including Maxidot, cruise, xenon's and rear sensors - and of course it's straight.

I reckon a couple of hundred quid off the screen price and £500 for the trusty Peugeot means £9K over 5 years equals approx. £180 / month. Hmmm!

Yes, I think I would still choose the Altea XL over a pre-FL Octavia Elegance.

The obvious benefits of the Skoda (listed below) don't quite overcome the fact that I prefer the look of the Altea and the extra toys it has as standard.

Plus the wife says it would look silly having two Octavia's parked together on the drive :D

Seat Altea XL 1.9 TDi Stylance 5dr / Skoda Octavia Hatchback 1.9 TDi Elegance 5dr

Length - 4467mm / 4572mm

Width - 1768mm / 1973mm

Height - 1581mm / 1462mm

Weight - 1444kg / 1500kg

Wheelbase - 2578mm / 2578mm

0-60mph - 11.9secs / 11.4secs

Top Speed - 114mph / 119mph

MPG - 52mpg / 57mpg

CO2 - 146g/km / 130g/km

VED Band - F / D

When collecting the above data I was shocked to discover that my Peugeot 306 D L only has 70bhp and a claimed combined mpg of 44. Despite having to drive it hard to keep up with traffic I regularly acheive 48-50mpg.

I'm guessing I should even see a cost saving in terms of fuel consumption by swapping to either of the above. Even the 2.0TDi 170 vRS claims 49mpg - an impressive 5mpg more than my current car!

I hope to test drive both cars in the near future (together with a vRS for balance) which I guess will be the final decider. That and which dealer is preparred to offer the most discount :smirk:

Thanks to everyone on here for your help. It was far more balanced than I expected :thumbup:

Edited by silver1011

Yes, I think I would still choose the Altea XL over a pre-FL Octavia Elegance.

The obvious benefits of the Skoda (listed below) don't quite overcome the fact that I prefer the look of the Altea and the extra toys it has as standard.

Plus the wife says it would look silly having two Octavia's parked together on the drive :D

Seat Altea XL 1.9 TDi Stylance 5dr / Skoda Octavia Hatchback 1.9 TDi Elegance 5dr

Length - 4467mm / 4572mm

Width - 1768mm / 1973mm

Height - 1581mm / 1462mm

Weight - 1444kg / 1500kg

Wheelbase - 2578mm / 2578mm

0-60mph - 11.9secs / 11.4secs

Top Speed - 114mph / 119mph

MPG - 52mpg / 57mpg

CO2 - 146g/km / 130g/km

VED Band - F / D

When collecting the above data I was shocked to discover that my Peugeot 306 D L only has 70bhp and a claimed combined mpg of 44. Despite having to drive it hard to keep up with traffic I regularly acheive 48-50mpg.

I'm guessing I should even see a cost saving in terms of fuel consumption by swapping to either of the above. Even the 2.0TDi 170 vRS claims 49mpg - an impressive 5mpg more than my current car!

I hope to test drive both cars in the near future (together with a vRS for balance) which I guess will be the final decider. That and which dealer is preparred to offer the most discount :smirk:

Thanks to everyone on here for your help. It was far more balanced than I expected :thumbup:

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but specs are meaningless to most people - it's how the car feels and drives and of course looks. One of my neighbours has a black Altea XL and seriously, I see the arse-end of that car each and every day I get into mine and I thank the man above that I drive the Octy. Also comparing the Altea and the Octy is not apples for apples - they are quite different cars, specs be dammed. The pre-FL octy also looks great IMHO - I know because I had one and while I think the FL looks better in some respects, i do think they got the preFL just right and it certainly looks up to date. Compared to an Altea there is no contest - the Altea is just plain boxy and a prime case of function over form. It just looks like so many other boxes on the road with increased headroom (for what one has to ask - my head doesn't come anywhere near the rooflining and I'm a big bugger!). Also I'll guarantee that the build quality of the Skud is superior to the Seat, who seem to revel in the use of cheap nasty and hard plastic everywhere they can. Another neigbour has a hot Leon and while it does look nice and goes like stink, it looks and feels cheap as chips inside and is not wearing particularly well at all.

At the end of the day its you decision but unless you have a real need for the particular shape of the Altea, I would personally consider the Octy (and possibly a VRS!) a much better prospect.

Good Luck!!

Just a piece of advice regarding your option of picking up a vRS.

If you have a wandering foot on the 'go faster 'pedal now, once you experience the torque in the vRS, it will be impossible to restrain that wandering right foot emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

If you have a wandering foot on the 'go faster 'pedal now, once you experience the torque in the vRS, it will be impossible to restrain that wandering right foot emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

If the wife is feeling generous she lets me drive when we are out together in our 140bhp Scout.

It too is a PD and the torque is addictive, I have noticed that it is also possible to make good progress without gunning it which is nice.

I actually experienced my funniest moment of my motoring career at the weekend when I picked up my Dad to drop him in town. Happily chomping on a banana whilst we were waiting to pull out onto a main road I spotted a gap and went for it. He ended up with banana up his nose and I got an ear full of expletives. Classic PD punch! :rofl:

The official combined mpg on the PD vRS is 49mpg.

If I can achieve that (with a few fast sprints) I'd be chuffed, especially considering that is what I am currently getting in my 306.

Just filled it up at lunch today. 480 miles, 45.69 litres @ £1.357 = 47.76 MPG or 12.92p/mile.

Got test drives arranged this weekend in a vRS, 1.9 Octavia and a 1.9 Altea XL.

Will keep you posted :giggle:

Edited by silver1011

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but specs are meaningless to most people - it's how the car feels and drives and of course looks.

Couldn't agree more. The problem I have is once I'm at a point of test driving a car I find it very difficult not to be impressed by it.

You'll laugh but I once had a Hyundai Getz as a hire car through work. Drove it all the way from Heathrow to York. I was so impressed I was down at the Hyundai main dealer the following weekend pricing one up. :doh:

That was a while ago now and I vowed then to be more sensible. All was going well until the salesman got the wife and I into a Scout!

One of my neighbours has a black Altea XL and seriously, I see the arse-end of that car each and every day I get into mine and I thank the man above that I drive the Octy.

Haha :rofl:

AlteaMarmite.jpg

Silver1011 Have you tried the Seatcupra.net forum, you might find it also helps you make a decision! :)

Yes I have spent quite a bit of time on there over the last few months. Lots of good people on there too.

Unfortunately it’s just not as busy / popular as Briskoda. You can ask a question and not get any replies for quite a while.

It was great for reading into the common / niggly faults on the Altea though (but not great to hear how bad Seat dealers seem to be!)

My original question was around the 1.9 TDi 105 engine which I was pretty sure was the same engine as in the Octavia so I thought I'd be cheeky and ask a Seat related question here :giggle:

As a result I have a test drive of a vRS arranged at the weekend!

Edited by silver1011