Removing wires from an ISO connector

Recently got a new becker mexico pro head unit and after installation I've got the old "remote locking doesn't work" problem. After a quick search I've found that this is because the perm live and ign live need to be switched, sounds easy enough says I.

I don't have or even need a wiring adapter as the ISO from the standard Fab loom fits into the back of the HU (as expected). I now just want to switch the wires on the loom but have a bit of a problem. How the hell do you remove the wires from the ISO block itself?!

I don't want to pull to hard incase I pull the wire out of the crimped connector! I have a feeling I need to prise something before I pull the wire but have no idea.

Can anyone help?

Cheers.

You need to put something like a narrow flat-headed screwdriver into the front of the ISO unit and press down on the connector. There is a little bit of metal on the connector that is bent upwards, which stops it going back through the block when you hook it up to the stereo. Flatten this down and the connector will just pull out.

When you need to put the connector back in, just bend the little bit of metal upwards just over a millimetre and push it back into the block - hey presto, it will clip into position.

HTH

But first if its got one remove the terminal locking bar out from the connector, its usually a bright bit of plastic (sometimes pinky purple or yellow in colour) at one end, hook it out then procede as above.

If the CDL has stopped working you sure you have just blown the S contact fuse?

@ Cheekymonkey, thanks. Willl have a look at this tomorrow, too dark to be trying it now!

@ Lummox. I'll look for that too. Nah it's not the fuse, as when I disconnect the HU the remote CL starts working again. Also the stereo is always powered even with the ignition off and keys out.

Thanks all for the replys.

There's no 'extra' wiring between the head unit and the car's wiring. i.e. the ISO connector plugs straight in to the back of the head unit, therefore no way of doing it like I have done in the past, like you say, with the bullet connectors on the 'extra' wiring.

Ahh I get ya, so in one way handy as you aint gotta cram loads of wiring down but means you have to pin out terminals.

Ive got the propper terminal tool thats releases the clips on the terminals, but a small headed screw driver should to the trick, just dont stab urself :)

That right, no birds nest of wires behind the HU to try and tidy up!

I eventually managed to switch the wires round in the ISO block. After try for ages with a small screw driver I decided it was a non starter. Instead I fabricate a handy tool using two paperclips and an elastic band which worked in seconds!

Getting the HU in is a bit of an effort though! Very tight and have to remove the cubby hole beneath it to get it in, now I can't get the cubby hole back it! I realise it has to go in before I put the head unit back but im not gonna **** around with it till I get a facisa to go around the head unit. Thanks for the help all.

I'll post a review on the Becker Mexico Pro when I get round to it, cos IMO it is superb!

• 10 years later...

That right, no birds nest of wires behind the HU to try and tidy up!

I eventually managed to switch the wires round in the ISO block. After try for ages with a small screw driver I decided it was a non starter. Instead I fabricate a handy tool using two paperclips and an elastic band which worked in seconds!

Getting the HU in is a bit of an effort though! Very tight and have to remove the cubby hole beneath it to get it in, now I can't get the cubby hole back it! I realise it has to go in before I put the head unit back but im not gonna **** around with it till I get a facisa to go around the head unit. Thanks for the help all.

I'll post a review on the Becker Mexico Pro when I get round to it, cos IMO it is superb!

Wondered if you might be able to help me out by describing your paperclip tool in a bit more detail?

Wondered if you might be able to help me out by describing your paperclip tool in a bit more detail?

Helpful this lot aren't they?

I've used a paperclip to release pins before, but only ever by straightening and pushing in to the front of the connector (the back being where the wires come out). You'll see one side of the plastic around the terminal is flat, and the other has a U shape indentation. Push the paperclip in there. The trick is to make sure the clip is in far enough. Sometimes you'll feel resistance and then the paper clip will go in further. From memory i think it's about 8 mm.

It's then a "wiggle the clip while gently pulling the wire" job. The main problem is normally if the clip is too thick to go in. You're actually better with a clip that is thinner so you can bend the end up slightly so the retainer on the terminal is pushed up further. It also helps to push the terminal forward (using the wire) while inserting the clip. If you don;t, you can trap the reatiner against the plastic which just makes life more difficult.

Good luck and hope you find this response amongst the barrage of laughter

Instead I fabricate a handy tool using two paperclips and an elastic band

Although lets face it. Its probably just an unfolded paperclip..

Apparently not. HTH :notme:

• Like 1

Helpful this lot aren't they?

<Snip>

Good luck and hope you find this response amongst the barrage of laughter

I supose there'd be more sympathy if the threads and last logins were more recent....

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/199540-how-to-get-speaker-cable-out-of-iso-photo-guide/

...the question had already been answered in a post from 2011, by someone who last logged-in in 2014. ;) ;)

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi All... 

Sorry to re-open this topic after such a long period of time but I am having trouble with my new Sony stereo which has a bullet connector on the yellow and red wire. 

I need to swap the red and yellow over but I have no idea how to open the bullet connector! Do I yank the wires and hope they come out and then swap them over? I can get the rubber casing away on the red wire but not the yellow one.

I've spent so much time researching and yet I've found nothing... Decided I'd create an account here and hope for the best! 

Please see the image of my ISO adapter which came with the stereo. Just a heads up I am a massive newbie with electronics so be gentle! Thanks

ISO.jpg

Thanks for replying John.

It might be worth mentioning that the yellow cable has a double bullet connector and I am unable to peel back the rubber cover which protects it. I have however managed to move the rubber off the single red wire and bullet connector. 

When I removed the rubber from the red I was pulled with a great deal of force and there was very very little movement. Do you still advise to pull? Should I grab by the metal or by the wire and pull? 

Thanks! 

19 hours ago, john999boy said:

It might be that the connectors are covered in shrink wrap so just cut that off first. You can use electricians tape to insulate after reattaching both cables. :thumbup:

Thanks for your help John, I managed to pull the cables apart last night and switch the red and yellow over. The memory sticks now when I turn off the ignition. :thumbup:

Edited by TitanLoose
  • Like 1