High miler?

marge

Hi folks. I'm looking to buy a mk 1 Octavia. I drove a couple of cars last weekend and was quite impressed. Both were 04 plate 1.9TDI's and were up for around £4000 and had 70k miles on.

I've seen some high mileage cars advertised(110-130k) which are obviously much cheaper, around £2500. I'm wondering if buying a high miler makes financial sense(i'm trying to save some money), or whether it'd just be a whole world of hassle. Any advice?

Regards

Marge

Mmm, well there's a fair difference between 70k and 130k. To give you some idea, I bought mine at 110k and in the subsequent 25k miles, it's needed cambelt, waterpump, turbo, clutch and wishbone bushes. Obviously not all cars are the same and some will last better than others, but it's around the 100-120k mark that bits and pieces start to need attention.

Hi folks. I'm looking to buy a mk 1 Octavia. I drove a couple of cars last weekend and was quite impressed. Both were 04 plate 1.9TDI's and were up for around £4000 and had 70k miles on.

I've seen some high mileage cars advertised(110-130k) which are obviously much cheaper, around £2500. I'm wondering if buying a high miler makes financial sense(i'm trying to save some money), or whether it'd just be a whole world of hassle. Any advice?

Regards

Marge

As long as it's in good mechanical condition and has plenty of service history and a recent cam belt change you'll be fine, I would look around though as I bought a 03 plate one with 80k tdi 110 elegance, two months ago for £2500 have a look and you'll find one cheap enough.

my car feels nearly the same as it did when i got new 3 years ago still pulls like a train as it should do 1.9 tdi pd old shape and i have got 110000 miles

Edited by racing boy

• 4 weeks later...

I was very lucky to be given a 'W' plate Octavia 1.9 diesel 5 door hatchback (non turbo) through freecycle.org. The car was a bit tatty (so what) but, had been regularly serviced and had 124K on the clock. After just over two years of ownership I've increased the mileage to over 160K. Other than two new alternators and new tyres, it's behaved really well and delivered 50+ mpg. I'm a real convert to both Skodas and diesels.

P.S. The lady and her husband who very kindly gave me the car have become great friends so it was a real 'win win' situation!

Thanks for all the useful info. In the end i borrowed some cash and got a 53 plate Elegance TDI estate with the 130bhp engine and 88k on the clock. It's a fantastic car. Does 50mpg, is much quicker than my Legacy and costs half as much to tax.

High miller over here! There not bad with high miles, just unfortunately you do get the brunt of certain things. Like things going rotten and if the previous owner hasn't changed it then it will be you who has too, but that is the same with all cars.