Just driven from Devon to the Midlands at 50mph.....

Robjon

.....much to the annoyance of me and everybody else. Thank you Skoda for the optional spare tyre that is half-an-inch narrower than the tyres on the car and subject to a maximum speed of 50mph.

I suppose it could have been worse - I could have been stranded in Devon with a potholed sidewall and a useless goo can.....

Full-sized alloy spare on order. Rant over. Thanks for reading. Rob

.....much to the annoyance of me and everybody else. Thank you Skoda for the optional spare tyre that is half-an-inch narrower than the tyres on the car and subject to a maximum speed of 50mph...

...and 100 miles. The function of the space saver is to get you to a tyre dealer, not to make a long motorway trip!

I still don't understand why the Furby vRS has a full sized spare wheel, which is the same as the other 4, but mounted on a steel wheel, has a 80kph/50mph speed restriction on it.

Yep - i have a 205/55 16 inch wheel which to all intents is 'full size' but is a space saver in the respect that it is not an 18 inch wheel. This has (had) a sticker on saying 50mph. It has the same rolling radius as the 18's and is only 20mm narrower so normal speeds are perfectly safe on this......as i have proved twice now :'(

Update.

Sorry - I didn't make it clear in OP that I had potholed the tyre just before 6 o'clock. By the time I had put on the spare, I didn't rate my chances of finding a tyre place in Devon that was open and had a Scout low-profile tyre in stock. Hence the 50mph drive home :(

Engage rant mode again.....The full-size alloy wheel fits the spare bay perfectly. The existing polystyrene insert and jack fit the alloy wheel perfectly. The existing hold-down bolt and insert strap fit the wheel perfectly. I see no obvious reason why Skoda cannot list a full-size alloy spare wheel as an option to the goo can. Another rant over :)

Cheers everyone. Rob

Will the full size fit the spare bay though?

Been there and done that on the works car. Never shat myself so much in all my life. The M40 for 60 miles in rush hour was quite scary!

Yes the full sized spare to fit in the tyre well.

We have a spare 18" Neptune for the TSI VRS, which is 225/40-18 and full sized matching alloy for the 1.8 TSI the 225/45-17 fits fine in the tyre well, no problem.

Edited by lol

Update.

Sorry - I didn't make it clear in OP that I had potholed the tyre just before 6 o'clock. By the time I had put on the spare, I didn't rate my chances of finding a tyre place in Devon that was open and had a Scout low-profile tyre in stock. Hence the 50mph drive home :(

Engage rant mode again.....The full-size alloy wheel fits the spare bay perfectly. The existing polystyrene insert and jack fit the alloy wheel perfectly. The existing hold-down bolt and insert strap fit the wheel perfectly. I see no obvious reason why Skoda cannot list a full-size alloy spare wheel as an option to the goo can. Another rant over :)

Cheers everyone. Rob

It is first of all to do with CO2 emissions as no spare (standard) saves quite a bit of weight and every gram counts when being measured for CO2. A 'space saver' is a term that comes from when cars used to have a smaller wheel well and you get the narrow wheels. Space saver should be changed to cost saving and weight saving wheel.

Either way a 16inch wheel with a 205 tyre on can be driven at full speed B)