Octavia Mk2 Front Driver Side Wind Noise

Hello,

Over the last couple of months I have been trying to solve 2 areas of wind noise on my 2006 Octavia Vrs. First of all a big thanks to AdamR who put together a few pictures regarding his rear interior window seal and the application of silicone sealant - Wind Noise.

Now that the rear noise has been fixed I am still pondering how to fix the wind noise that I have located down to the drivers door. Now my first action when I heard both wind noises was to purchase 2 sets of door seals (One for driver and the other for the rear left door), this did not solve any of the noise.

I was just wondering if anyone else with the Octavia has experienced wind noise from the drivers door and know of any exact locations that may be the culprit. I am a little hesitant at the moment to start applying the silicone as I am still unsure where the noise is coming from. At a very rough location i would say its close to the area where the Window Blower is situated.

Cheers

David

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Same problem when a lorry passes its like I have the windows open and also at the speed of 80mph...very annoying but I do like the car... I've booked in at the dealers this wed will see what they can do.....

Edited by k2wok

• 2 months later...

have the same problem on summer to , also the noise is comming everytime above speed 60 km/h

Probably not the source of the problem then.  Has the door seal been changed?

Has the car ever been damaged?  Could it be the door doesn't fit correctly?

no i dont think the door seal has ben changed, no the car hasn,t been damaged i think, i can close the door good but the seal is a little bit worn, maybe time to change the door seals. when closing the front door you can hear verry loud smash noise inside but not loud smash outside the car , hope it is not priceley to change the door seals

Probably not the source of the problem then.  Has the door seal been changed?

Has the car ever been damaged?  Could it be the door doesn't fit correctly?

Try applying masking tape to different areas (door edges, mirrors etc) then taking the car a run to see if you can pinpoint the area causing the noise.

Edited by FatblokeVRS

• 1 month later...

Ok i had the same issue with my 2010 Octavia 1.6TDI . I took it back to the dealers and even went on a test drive with a mechanic. We taped up the driver door and made no difference and the mechanic stated it was normal ???. However insisted this was wrong and had a new door seal fitted under warrantly. This made no difference , even attepted to tight the door latch to make the door sit tighter on the seal - No difference. I can only put the noise down to the wing mirrors which are slighly larger than my last car Seat Leon. There is no accident damage on the dealers file.

I was begining to think maybe it was just me but glad it is not.

Edited by skaterboy

I remember reading about a fix to the front grille but lost it. It was a Techical doc from VAG I think so someone should be able to remember it.

The fix I think involved putting some foam along a part of the grille.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

The noise on mine is from the upped side of the windows on both front doors. The car is much quieter in the back. I can even feel the some wind in the hand if I move around that area (the drivers door was damaged in the past but the wind noise is also coming from the passenger door..) could it be the pads the windows are resting on when closed?

• 4 months later...

I have actually installed a 3rd door seal to both my front doors, thinking it might fill the spate between the 2 factory door sills but .... disappointingly, it makes no difference whatsoever... :(

I am wondering if the wind is coming from under the front fenders and then in between the door seals? There is quite a lot of empty space behind the front fender and if you look closely when opening the bonnet, you can see through...

Earlier this morning I took a thick piece of door seal and stuffed it so the entire area around the top side of door is completely sealed and no air can pass in between the door seals.... Still no difference.... As I drove though, I rolled down the window every now and then and apparently the noise is still there even if windows are up or down... I tried shutting the mirrors for a while and I got a slight hint of change in tonality of the wind noise.... however the noise is still there and its just as loud...

I will try to further investigate the mirrors...

Edited by Inex