Hybrid or Not?

Hi guys,

My fabia vrs has nearly 100k on it now, just wanted some opinion on whether to get a hybrid turbo or not. Will this add some value to my car? Also what power is the Hybrid MD376 turbo good for with a FMIC, Milltek sports cat and exhaust and a egr delete pipe.

Opinions welcome

Thanks for looking

Up grading will attract some buyers, but may ask themselves has the guts been driven out of it.

Adding, the car insurance for the youngsters would be crippled by an upgraded vehicle.

So yes and no to question.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Shark perfomance state that a Hybrid will not get over 210bhpish.

They have not ran a Hybridised Fabia over 205bhp yet.

Niether has John SLeath racing on their dyno.

They had one at 215bhp with an Allard VT2 hybrid over the weekend. Not sure what spec that is as I can find very little about them, but I'm guessing it's a similar deal to TD, GT17 housing with GT20 compressor wheels or something?

Most mods are likely to devalue the car, if your wanting to sell it soon then leave it. Otherwise mod it then put it back to standard when you sell.

Putting a hybrid in will need a clutch also.. Does it matter hw much the cars been used??

Theres a few people running a standard clutch and a decent smooth map, but if your going to be giving it some stick a clutch is needed for sure. Mines on 156,000 miles on a hybrid turbo, so long as the car has been looked after it`ll be fine.

How reliable is the turbo?? Nd what does the warranty cover?

They are very popular, not heard of many issues. Warranty covers the same as any other one would, manufacturing defects.

Shark perfomance state that a Hybrid will not get over 210bhpish.

They have not ran a Hybridised Fabia over 205bhp yet.

I was under the impression that it was the injectors that was the limiting factor not the turbo?

Matt

Most mods are likely to devalue the car, if your wanting to sell it soon then leave it. Otherwise mod it then put it back to standard when you sell.

Theres a few people running a standard clutch and a decent smooth map, but if your going to be giving it some stick a clutch is needed for sure. Mines on 156,000 miles on a hybrid turbo, so long as the car has been looked after it`ll be fine.

They are very popular, not heard of many issues. Warranty covers the same as any other one would, manufacturing defects.

I was under the impression that it was the injectors that was the limiting factor not the turbo?

Matt

How long have you had your Hybrid matt? When you changed your turbo did you put a new oil feed in or did you keep the old one? how much are the uprated clutches going for? and which would you recomend sachs or helix?

Sorry about questioning so much.

Guest BigJase88

/\ for either clutch your going to need around £1000

Best getting a nice new oil line too

my preference is the helix and smf

My hybrid ran 200bhp maxxed out on the stock nozzles at 1.9bar

You do get some funny quoted figure on here

I'm sure that's another pop at Luke's figures. His car gets RR'd at 240bhp literally straight after a standard vRS ran 132bhp on AmD's rollers - what more can the guy do???

Also, this was on a day when some of the Octy owners were moaning of low readings and my remapped Fabia ran 166bhp, having run 180bhp on other RRs.

We're going to JKM in a couple of weeks time with the mk5 boys, so we'll see how a couple of hybrid Fabias do on a Dyno Dynamics RR then :)

Guest BigJase88

woah chilleth out.... theres a few i can think of.....

standard injectors at ferrari bhp figures, stock tubbys at 195bhp

at the end of the day, id personally prefer to say to someone yes its 200bhp, and pull out a few surprises at rr / track days etc, not go around on cloud nine, knocking out my cars such and such a bhp....

just my 2p

to be fair, it ran 240bhp on the same RR that a PD130 with Revo stage 1 software and a jetex filter got like 200bhp & 340lbft which does seem a little OTT

Evidence of this? That's more torque than I made on there so that would be interesting...

to be fair, it ran 240bhp on the same RR that a PD130 with Revo stage 1 software and a jetex filter got like 200bhp & 340lbft which does seem a little OTT

When? - can't recall this being on the same day.

I'm fully aware that AmD have had some 'odd' results in recent years, but Luke's car ran straight after a standard car - same day, same conditions, same dyno.

Even if AmD were to tweak the dyno for a better result, I really can't see the point in them enhancing another tuners work - they've had no involvement in Luke's engine work at all....

This is getting boring now. The bloke is asking about turbos and it get turned into yet another argument over figures.

Luke is happy with his car, he has 2 RR print outs, the second I know is a pretty fair set of rollers, everyone local uses them because they don't come up with figures that are rediculous. Both RR's say wellover 200bhp so that disproved the injectors can't do more than 200 Thoery.

Sooo, any chance we can just go back to this chaps questions?

Matt

This is getting boring now. The bloke is asking about turbos and it get turned into yet another argument over figures.

Luke is happy with his car, he has 2 RR print outs, the second I know is a pretty fair set of rollers, everyone local uses them because they don't come up with figures that are rediculous. Both RR's say wellover 200bhp so that disproved the injectors can't do more than 200 Thoery.

Sooo, any chance we can just go back to this chaps questions?

Matt

I feel the point is relevant as the OP has ask about the power output of the md376.

Some people claim that you cannot get more than 200 (ish) bhp and this could influence a decision to go hybrid - if you're only looking at a 20bhp increase over a vRS with remap, TBE, pd160 etc, it raises the question as to whether it's actually worth the extra outlay.

IMO the difference between hybrid and non hybrid is night and day - my vRS could not keep anywhere near to Ross' 'low power' hybrid running a standard clutch. Even my mk5 gti (RR'd twice at 250bhp+) struggles to get passed.

I just want to stress to the OP that imo a hybrid pd is more than the paper '20bhp' increase. It's like a mapped vRS on steroids, and allows the humble Fabia to stick with cars that it really shouldn't be able to. I'd suggest that he keeps his standard turbo and when the time comes to sell up, he can recoup some of his costs by selling the hybrid on.

Just beware the slippery slope - you will stress other components, and these may well need upgrading in the future. As Jase always recommends, the SMF and helix is probably the best off the shelf item available.

Personally I'd prefer to buy a standard car to a modified car. If I did I wouldnt expect to pay any extra.

As for the whole power debate. Wouldnt it be easy enough for people with hybrid to log their fuel durations using VCDS. This alone should be able to give a good idea on how much power they should be running or how badly overfueled they are depending on their start of injection.