Wobbly wing mirror glass

Hello.

I have a 2006 octavia vrs and yesterday I noticed that my drivers side wing mirror glass has started vibrating and wobbling when driving. I assume it's due to the wind/air when driving but is now very annoying. The passenger side is fine.

Does anyone know of a quick fix for this or how do I get the mirror out of the housing without breaking it? It's definately the glass moving independently of the actual housing as I've checked that. Glass feels likes it's not stuck down very firmly if you press it.

Also if the clips are damaged, roughly how much is new mirror from skoda (it's heated)

Thanks

Will

Hey, I had this. It's just that the adhesive has degraded. Pull the glass off gently and reattach using some double sided foam licence plate tape. 2 minute job, best doing now instead of having to buy a new glass when this one falls off.

Hey, I had this. It's just that the adhesive has degraded. Pull the glass off gently and reattach using some double sided foam licence plate tape. 2 minute job, best doing now instead of having to buy a new glass when this one falls off.

Thanks,

That's what I suspected. Did you just prise off from the side?

If you can be bothered to search there's a number of threads about the mirror glass peeling off. If using double side number plate tape make sure you get all the old residue off and degrease, or the tape will only peel again. Another option is something like Serious Glue, this is heat and cold resistant, @-35c - +80c.

Wobbly mirror syndrome should be added as a regular quick fix guide!

If you can conquer your initial trepidation about snapping expensive bits of glass/plastic it's a pretty simple fix - just keep an eye out for the delicate wires/spade connectors which attach to the back of the moveable mirror mount when pulling things about (carefully).

I was advised to use double-sided heavy-duty carpet tape to reattach it & so far it's been absolutely rock solid (touch wood, etc).

And yes, do it now before the glass drops off - I gaffer-taped the glass in until I had a chance to sort it - just in case..

Good luck! :)

• 8 months later...

Sorry to bring an old topic back up. Mine has been wobbling since January and has eventually fallen off :( would something like this be covered under warranty from Skoda?

Thanks

Sorry to bring an old topic back up. Mine has been wobbling since January and has eventually fallen off :( would something like this be covered under warranty from Skoda?

Thanks

I'd very much doubt it, but you never know.

Mine started doing this a couple of weeks ago and I just pushed it back on. Been fine since and the car's getting traded in next week so I plan to leave it......

Me too, some months ago. Got to it before it kissed the road, and refixed it with 5 small blobs of Devcon 5 minute epoxy, holding glass in correct place with masking tape till set. No trouble since.

I recently had this happen again. I noticed that the mirror glass was loose when wiping water drops off after washing it.

Seems that the only thing holding the mirror on to the backing plate was the surface tension of the water as I could slide it around all over the place!

Bit of carpet tape as per my previous Octavia & it's rock solid again - touch wood..

As a matter of interest, does the FL Octavia suffer from this too or is it only a problem the older style mirrors?

This must be happening all over the place - should be the subject of a recall.

Not everyone would fancy trying to cement them back themselves.

At the very least, if they fall off and break before being caught, new mirror glasses should be provided free (with a new type of adhesive medium.)

My NS one started to come off, so back into town into pound land and a small tube of bathroom sealant apply around the edge about 2 centimeters in, and a cross in the centre put mirror back in place, press and hold for about a min and bobs your auntie.

Is there a how to anywhere to replace the mirrors, as I like them to heat up in winter or when it raining to have a clear rear view

Just one point -- if trying a DIY fix, DO NOT try to use superglue. The heat produced when superglue cures can and probably will crack or shatter the glass. I've seen windscreens go this way after folks have tried to reattach interior mirrors instead of spending a couple of quid on the proper adhesive pad.

Also note that if you have a heated glass, you will not get the heating element anywhere near enough to the glass to be of any use. The glass needs to sit flush to the backing plate which contains the heating element.

Mike

That's interesting. I used, as mentioned a few small, thin blobs of 5 minute epoxy and it did no harm to the glass, nor has it prevented the heating function from clearing moisture.

I use a lot of superglue for hobby work, but only in Loctite Gel form - I wonder if that would have caused trouble if I'd used it instead of the Devcon.