Fitted Winter Tyres to the mk2

Wibb

Booked the car in to Hayselden Skoda of Doncaster for a saturday morning rubber swap.

Tyres Off: Conti Sport Contact 2 205/40 R17

Tyres On: Pirelli Sotto Zero 204/40 R17 (£125/ea from camskill)

Arrived at just after 8, greeted by the nice lady at the reception who gave me a complementry hot drink from the machine.

They took the car into the workshop 08:30hrs where they did their thing.

I had a set of Alloygators fitted which i wanted to take off when they changed the tyre which they did without a problem.

I got bored sitting in the lounge so i wandered out to the shop floor door outside and took a few pictures.

I watched them refit the wheels, everything by the book, torqued up the bolts using a torque wrench as opposed to an air ratchet.

Driving home by 10:30hrs.

£57.50 for fitting, new valves & balancing.

They even gave the wheels a wash down afterwards which is nice.

I gota say the winters are definately quieter on road noise and harshness compared to the Conti SC2s

photo1841024x576.th.jpg

photo1861024x576.th.jpg

photo1881024x576.th.jpg

photo1891024x576.th.jpg

photo1901024x576.th.jpg

photo1911024x576.th.jpg

photo1921024x576.th.jpg

photo1931024x576.th.jpg

photo1941024x576.th.jpg

photo1951024x576.th.jpg

photo1961024x576.th.jpg

photo1971024x576.th.jpg

photo1981024x576.th.jpg

photo1991024x576.th.jpg

photo2001024x576.th.jpg

photo2021024x576.th.jpg

Hang on a minute.... you chose (possibly) the hottest day of the year to fit WINTER tyres? :giggle:

Hope there is something left on them when the temperature drops low enough for them to 'work'.

wanted a chance to see how these behave in mild temps before the cold hits :p

My experience of running in temps above say 10deg is they feel very floaty and actually loose grip just like a summer tyre in the cold and wet.

The wear can be pretty rapid too, I ran a set of Nokian's on my 1st Stilo multiwagon through the spring and summer and they were shot after 5000 miles... that was an expensive experiment!

Thats interestingly diffrent to what I was told by the same insurance company.

Though my factory option black alloys are listed in my insurance and they said as I had alloys declaired it didn't matter.

All UK Insurers must class winter tyres with steel wheels as standard fitment as long as you fit a size approved by the manufacturer for your vehicle. This situation was clarified last year when some insurers were charging extra for fitting winter tyres.

So it's worth checking with Skoda what's recommended for the vRS.

For my Passat the standard alloys are 235/45X17's but VW allow 16" steels with 205/55X16's or 215/55x16's winter tyres. I have 205/55X16 Pirelli Sottozero's.

For my wifes Fabia 2 the standard alloys are 195/55x15's but Skoda allow 14" wheels with 165/70x14's or 185/60x14's winter tyres. I have yet to order some steel wheels and 185/60X14's for the Fabia.

You also have to comply with the Load rating but are allowed to fit a lower speed rating, again this is in VW and Skoda hand books and some VAG protucts allow you to select winter tyres on the MFD and program in a lower speed. Again UK insurers must not class this as a modification as the ABI (Association of British Insurers) ruled last year. The ABI says the issue is down to call centre staff wrongly classing wheel changes as a modification when you are actually fitting approved wheel/tyre combinations.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee