NTL Upgrade! Now on 2 meg - 250k/sec downloads!

boyced

I'm with plus.net too.... All lines will be upgraded to the maximum speed they can support (up to 8mb), but they haven't said if that will happen to everyone from April, or if it's a phased roll-out. I suspect if you're not on a major exchange, you'll be waiting a while...

Shame really, as I'm less than 1/2 mile from my exchange...

Thanks for that. This is certainly a good upgrade. I think I was upped to 1MB recently anyway as the download speed was higher than normal but I'll gladly take the full 2Mb.

As an aside a colleague had the BT automatic upgrade earlier this week and had to call BT out to put it right. Wish I knew the people she did as she got an engineer out very quickly.

I'll have a look at it when I get home. Can't do the NTL upgrade from here ;)

But WRT ADSL, I've heard that although everone's being upgraded to the max speed foc, they'll be enforcing bandwidth limits. So the initial "subscription charge" is the same regardless of speed, but you end up paying by the MB. Not sure as I'm on ntl.

I'll have a look at it when I get home. Can't do the NTL upgrade from here ;)

But WRT ADSL' date=' I've heard that although everone's being upgraded to the max speed foc, they'll be enforcing bandwidth limits. So the initial "subscription charge" is the same regardless of speed, but you end up paying by the MB. Not sure as I'm on ntl.[/quote']

NTL has a 1 Gb per day limit for most customers but I think there's a higher limit for their top speed customers.

I'm with plus.net too.... All lines will be upgraded to the maximum speed they can support (up to 8mb)' date=' but they haven't said if that will happen to everyone from April, or if it's a phased roll-out. I suspect if you're not on a major exchange, you'll be waiting a while...

Shame really, as I'm less than 1/2 mile from my exchange...[/quote']

Stimps, spoke to plus.net about this today actually and what they are doing is focusing on the quantity of the download, another words instead of paying for example £20 for a 2mb line with a 5gb limit everyone gets an 8mb line technology willing and they pay for a limit eg. 10gb limit which is a good idea for people like me who don't use alot of bandwidth but want a fast line.

:thumbup:

##edit## just spoke to them again for prices.

I am currently on there premier package = 1/2mb line and no download limit for £21.99

There new scheme will mean I will get the fastest line I can (poss 8mb) and a limit of 30gb a month download, which is great as I am only currently using about 1gb per month max, this upgarde is going to be for free and I will still be charged £21.99 a month :D:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

NTL has a 1 Gb per day limit for most customers but I think there's a higher limit for their top speed customers.

According to the website, the "new" 1Mb package has a limit of 3Gb per month, whereas the 2Mb and 3Mb ones have limits of 1Gb a day.

I'm currently on 300kb "uncapped", which for some bizarre reason has been getting slower and slower (hmm...) - quite tempted to switch to 1Mb with the 3Gb cap, but if I'm honest I really don't know how much data I transfer a month. Can anyone recommend a free little Windows utility which would monitor the traffic on my router to let me know how much data I'm typically transferring?

Rob.

With my current 1.5Mb line, I'm way over 1GB per day. I've never been bothered by NTL asking me to reduce my bandwidth. Having said that, 99% of my bandwidth usage is over FTP and I never use any P2P software which is what they're claiming to be ruining the experience for all.

I'll have a look at the upgrade proposal when I get home. When NTL originally announced the upgrade quite a few months ago, they mentioned a £10 admin charge to upgrade and of course you have to agree to new T&Cs which would include the enforcing of a bandwidth limit. If that is the case, I may well not upgrade as my current usage with my current 1.5Mb line would exceed by far the limit imposed on the new 3Mb line ;)

I'll have a look at the upgrade proposal when I get home.

I seem to recall reading yesterday on the website that they would only be monitoring the caps at this point, and that enforcement would happen further down the line.

Or from my experience of NTL, they wanted to enforce caps but they're still figuring out how to do it... ;)

Rob.

Can anyone recommend a free little Windows utility which would monitor the traffic on my router to let me know how much data I'm typically transferring?

Try doing a google search for "packet capture" which should give you a few options.

Xavier, I think unless you are on the current 300k service then the upgrade is compulsory and will happen automatically over the coming weeks unless you force it using the link at the start of the thread. 300k users will have the option though because of the heavily reduced cap.

Just tried to upgrade to NTL's 3Mb service through their site. Selected the 3Mb upgrade option. Cannot find server....:(

Strange...I did it this morning, and had no probs...completed in around 10 seconds. Did anything come up at all?

Strange...I did it this morning, and had no probs...completed in around 10 seconds. Did anything come up at all?
Three options - 1, 2 and 3Mb - which I found by doing a Google search for NTL Broadband speed upgrade since the autoregister link in the 1st post didn't work. I then ended up with the same autoregister link which again wouldn't work. I will try from another PC.