7% Bio-Diesel/93% Diesel fuel mixture

I read a letter (D. Dewhurst, Saga Magazine) who says that he saw a notice in a Morrison's supermarket filling station stating that "Diesel fuel contains up to 7% bio-diesel". He goes on to say that his vehicle handbook clearly states that "your vehicle is not adapted for the use of bio-diesel" and also states "if the quality of the diesel fuel is poor, it is necessary to drain the fuel filter more often than stated in the service schedule". He also says that the local Skoda dealer would/could not say if this 7% bio-diesel would damage his Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi engine.

Has anyone come across supermarkets supplying bio-diesel/'ordinary' diesel mixture and do they know if this mixture will damage diesel engines over a period of time? Do other supermarket filling stations supply this bio-diesel/diesel mix as standard? You would think that they would not be supplying fuel that would damage modern diesel engines but it is early days yet so we must wait and see but is it safer to use the more expensive 'premium' diesel fuel?

Perhaps supermarkets are doing this to push us to use the more expensive diesel fuel at the expense of the standard bio-diesel/diesel mix before stopping producing the cheaper grade altogether?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ken

I read a letter (D. Dewhurst, Saga Magazine) who says that he saw a notice in a Morrison's supermarket filling station stating that "Diesel fuel contains up to 7% bio-diesel". He goes on to say that his vehicle handbook clearly states that "your vehicle is not adapted for the use of bio-diesel" and also states "if the quality of the diesel fuel is poor, it is necessary to drain the fuel filter more often than stated in the service schedule". He also says that the local Skoda dealer would/could not say if this 7% bio-diesel would damage his Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi engine.

Has anyone come across supermarkets supplying bio-diesel/'ordinary' diesel mixture and do they know if this mixture will damage diesel engines over a period of time? Do other supermarket filling stations supply this bio-diesel/diesel mix as standard? You would think that they would not be supplying fuel that would damage modern diesel engines but it is early days yet so we must wait and see but is it safer to use the more expensive 'premium' diesel fuel?

Perhaps supermarkets are doing this to push us to use the more expensive diesel fuel at the expense of the standard bio-diesel/diesel mix before stopping producing the cheaper grade altogether?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ken

Hi

All diesel sold in the UK now has up to 7% biodiesel in it. It will not break your engine and is warranted as safe by the Government to use in your vehicle. It still conforms to the EN590 standard for diesel.

If the diesel has more than 7% it is not EN590 standard and should be labeled differently (i.e. 20% would be B20, 100% would be B100).

Having a small amount of biodiesel in your fuel helps keep your engine cleaner, quieter and better lubricated than straight diesel. Biodiesel has good cleaning and lubrication properties and also helps reduce emissions as it has oxygen molecules in it so it helps get a more complete burn of your fuel. These are desired properties that oil companies normally try to obtain by putting additives into the fuel.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about if you stick to the EN590 standard diesel.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by FatblokeVRS

I have read though that higher bio-diesel content causes problems with the newer cars fitted with DPFs. I researched this following the discovery that my oil level in my 2.0 CR Scout had climbed to about 200-250ml above the MAX line in 7000 miles. This apparently is caused by unburnt diesel draining down from the DPF due to an interrupted DPF regeneration. This drains to the bottom of the sump. Diesel with less bio-diesel content aspirates and combusts with engine heat but bio-diesel does not. Repeated interruptions cause the oil level to rise. There have been reports of runaway engines and subsequent fires due to overfilling of the oil level.

I'm resigned to doing an oil change mid service now to clean the diesel out as running with that ****e in for a while will no doubt cause excessive wear.

The other option I have heard of is to use quality fuel such as Shell which contains less bio-diesel rather than the crap sold by Morrisons. A few pence per litre extra is a small price to pay if it means saving your engine and extra oil changes! I'm going to try our local fuel supplier Texaco consistently now to check if I can replicate the problem (did fill with Morrisons previously).

Edited by glossopwhite

I was doing a long run and left car to refil when it needed to and timing it off services signs on motorway with light on and 20 miles range i pulled in and it was BIO diesel :( next place was 80km away so I had to get sat nav out and go to nearest shell on it :D i passed 0 miles range in doing so. But I am very careful to use Shell where I can one I avoid at all costs is Asda :thumbdown:

Thanks for the info. It sounds as if you know what you are talking about so I feel more at ease now as long as I use diesel fuel to EN590 standard. And thanks to everyone else for their comments.

Ken

Hi

All diesel sold in the UK now has up to 7% biodiesel in it. It will not break your engine and is warranted as safe by the Government to use in your vehicle. It still conforms to the EN590 standard for diesel.

If the diesel has more than 7% it is not EN590 standard and should be labeled differently (i.e. 20% would be B20, 100% would be B100).

Having a small amount of biodiesel in your fuel helps keep your engine cleaner, quieter and better lubricated than straight diesel. Biodiesel has good cleaning and lubrication properties and also helps reduce emissions as it has oxygen molecules in it so it helps get a more complete burn of your fuel. These are desired properties that oil companies normally try to obtain by putting additives into the fuel.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about if you stick to the EN590 standard diesel.

Cheers

Dave