Human Rights act and the tale of the cat

gadgetman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15272121

Another case of the HRA being abused by large groups of people...

From wikipedia I learn that the marriageable age in England and Wales is 18 (16 with parental consent), in Scotland 16...

If it's OK to marry at the age of 18 in England or another EU country, why is it not OK to do the same in Turkey, Argentina, or Ukraine? And why shouldn't those marriages be considered legitimate in the UK?

Because Brits are more mature, sensible, and rational than the rest of the world? Wish that was true, but I would say it's just a case of hypocrisy and double standards (by no means found in the UK only).

Suits me.

Back then children were disciplined and knew their place, unlike now.

Half the world didn't want to live here because we didn't dish out free money, unlike now.

The police were still a force, unlike now.

In those days we really were world leaders and not Americas lapdog, unlike now.

You really could leave your front door open, unlike now.

We had industry and manufacturing in the UK back then, unlike now.

People had a sense of shame, unlike now.

Criminals were treated like criminals rather than victims, unlike now.

Prison was not a nice place to be, unlike now.

Bring it back I say.

And my right wing opinion is no more or less valid than someones opposite

view but I'll be lambasted for having it anyway.

Sorry if the lentil brigade find it unpalatable but it's how I feel.

Yes Victorian Britain was perfect of course, no grinding poverty, squalid living conditions or children dying in their droves from easily and cheaply curable diseases.

Nobody ever got killed or injured in industrial accidents and women had a wonderful time as chattels of their husbands and baby machines. Clearly there was no child abuse.

Oh and we're still using the prisons the Victorians built, granted we've greatly reduced the use of treadmills, flogging and hanging.

This is not a lambasting and I don't eat lentils if I can avoid them, but I think you have to be a bit more balanced in your rosy tinted view of the Victorian age.

Needless to say many of the bad things I have mentioned have been greatly reduced by laws introducing rights for the ordinary folk objected to by generations of tories and the papers owned by them.

The HRA may need reform, but lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

From wikipedia I learn that the marriageable age in England and Wales is 18 (16 with parental consent), in Scotland 16...

If it's OK to marry at the age of 18 in England or another EU country, why is it not OK to do the same in Turkey, Argentina, or Ukraine? And why shouldn't those marriages be considered legitimate in the UK?

Because Brits are more mature, sensible, and rational than the rest of the world? Wish that was true, but I would say it's just a case of hypocrisy and double standards (by no means found in the UK only).

Or maybe we don't want people marrying to get into the UK ;)

I guess we could just remove the right to come here if you get married. After all if you love them that much you can always give up your UK citizenship and go and live in their country with them.

Or maybe we don't want people marrying to get into the UK ;)

I guess we could just remove the right to come here if you get married. After all if you love them that much you can always give up your UK citizenship and go and live in their country with them.

Not sure if I've got all the details right from the Beeb link, but as I understand it the law applies even when the partner already in the UK is a thoroughbred Brit with a line of ancestors going way beyond Bill the Conqueror... isn't it a bit harsh to suggest that he should renounce his/her citizenship in order to unite with that smashing 19 yr old Ukrainian (as Lennon/McCartney said, Ukraine girls can knock you out ;) )

An ingenious solution would be to raise the age limit to 21 for all... then there cannot be ground for complaints.

Simple answer Bring back National Service and you get Benifits vote etc after your national service.

It's simple and keeps those voting to those that have earned the right to vote.

Have you just watched 'Starship Troopers' Duncan?

"Service guarantees citizenship"emoticon-0105-wink.gif

The Human Rights act is fine if not abused (mostly by lawyers sniffing a large payday) It sould be there for the benefit of the decent honest hardworking people of the country, who for the most part don't need lawyers every other week. Sadly, as has already been said they are ignored in favour of the scum that plague society, Thats why murderers rapists and child abusers in prison are talking to their cronies on facebook whilst their victims lives are either snuffed out, or destroyed. This is why we can't deport criminals who if they are returned to their homeland they will face the death penalty so they are given a house a pat on the back and told keep your nose clean an we'll give you money. I think there should be a measure, a standard of what constitutes humanity a ceiling and any who go beyond that,premeditated murder, murder in furtherence of another crime, rape, abuse of children shouldnt have the human rights act applied to them and should reap what they sow.I could rant on but i know many will dissagree with me, and thats fine but I feel unless we start to really punish criminals then crime, and legal representation will continue to be the only growth industies in the Disunited Kingdom, formaly known as Great Britain

I understand the principle of the Act and agree with its conventions and aims. HOWEVER, the grim reality is the Act is abused and, more often than not, by those in society who have little to offer, no respect for the UK or it's people, and use it as a tool against common decency.

I feel the most frustrating reality is the Act seems to fly in the face of common sense and against the wishes of our people and their upbringing. Yes, we are all diverse in terms of ethnicity, culture, sexual orientation and so forth BUT why would an individual or group of people deliberately want to erode social standards?

I guess most, if not all forums members, would like to live in a prosperous country, a clean environment with top class education for their children, a safe place to live with low crime levels, and excellent medical facilities for example. Let's face it, it's not too much to ask for our people, who ever they are, to work hard and live within the boundaries of the law, is it?

The 'system' is broken and on a one way collision that will only result in disaster. That's why those who see others buck our social etiquette become intolerant and rightly frustrated. You have to ask why many thousands leave the UK each year for a better quality of life, that speaks volumes.

It's funny how our Human Rights are breached every day as Article 10 deals with 'Freedom of speech' but nobody listens.

Have you just watched 'Starship Troopers' Duncan?

"Service guarantees citizenship"emoticon-0105-wink.gif

I hadn't actually but I've got to admit with the current situation it sounds more appealing everyday.

May the beginings of a political party for someone with the ability to sleazball it up like an MP.