Bearing gone or tyre noise

If it's the rears it's relatively easy. If it's the fronts, not so easy.

I've managed to change both rear hubs easily enough - a puller might be needed just in case. If you've left it a while potentially the extra heat generated by broken bearings could have kind of 'welded' it onto the axle... At which point it might require a blowtorch to heat it up to get it off.

Many thanks

I had an annoying whine from the rear

The Skoda dealer worked on it took £60 and still there, they could not identify it. advised me to wait until it got worse as did not know what wheel it was coming from

I took the car to "star performance" who tune cars and have a rolling road

They put it on the rolling road and immediatley identified it was the rear near side bearing

It needed the rear nearside bearing and stub axle but it came at a great price, and no trouble since

So a rolling road would show where the fault is at

National

It sounds exactly like when my front offside wheel bearing went. It didn't really make a noise until I was going about 55ish. I thought it was tyre noise as they were starting to get low tread. When I replaced the front tyres the sound was still. The tone of the noise was always the same. It didn't increase in pitch with increased speed. When it started kicking in at 30mph I got it checked out and the bearing replaced and the sound dissappeared.

Not sure if it's the same thing but that's my experience

Right up-date time, my pass side front bearing has gone, I jacked her up and all the wheels spun fine with no play until I got to the nearside front and yup there is slight play and when I spin the wheel it makes a slight grinding noise. So peeps how much am I going to get fleeced for this one?

If you're off to a dealer, it'll probably be about 60 quid for the parts, and maybe 2-3 hours labour.

If you do it yourself... It'll be a lot cheaper (just parts, and if you have tools a bit of messing) but obviously a little extra work. Not impossible however:

Front wheel bearing replacement quick and dirty howto

As for replacement parts if you buy a replacement hub don't forget it's an ABS model - so needs an ABS hub as far as I can remember.

Note - you can just buy replacement bearings and get a friendly garage to press new ones in - but otherwise it'll be a replacement hub.

Edited by Chris Coates

Have you tried swapping the front tyres with the rear tyres? If the noise stays at the back it'll probably be the bearings, but if it follows the tyres to the front then you know it's tyres.

If your near unit 18 they charged me £60 for a front wheel bearing using Gen VAG parts.

Ok thanks for that, my brother lives in Milton Keynes and he owes me a favour or ten so....

while on the subject, the noise is more noticeable on braking is this a classic symptom?