6x9 Speakers Fitting

Evening all,

Have got some 6x9's and an amp lying about and have decided to fit them to the furb...

I was pondering - what would be the best route;

Can they fit in the rears where the small ones are? (i doubt it... :S thought i'd ask)

Second to that - i saw grr's thread on creating a stealth shelf - is this really the best way to do it, or can i use existing shelf with mdf attached to the bottom? I live in a fairly okay area and they are yellow so i thought they may look grooooveh with the yellow on yellow? no :p

Or is it best to just get a solid MDF shelf recarpet it and start from there?

All opinions and options are welcomed.

Andrew

Well you say all opinions welcome, and sorry but IMO best place is the bin. 6x9's are only good for just creating loud music. Otherwise they mess up the sound stage (sound appears to come from the rear). There's a reason for the standard fit locations in the Fabia with the tweeters high up (although tweeters in rear door was ill thought out). A subwoofer in the boot is a different matter, as the human ears are much less able to distinguish the location of sounds of lower frequencies.

Upgrading the front speakers/adding sound deadening/amping the front speakers/installing a sub+amp are all far better things to do.

Also see http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28317

The Fabia's dont really need 6x9's as the speakers in std form are actually not bad. What you really need to do is upgrade the headunit. And yes I am a trained sound engineer and ICE installer. 6x9's suck!

I'm also an sound engineer, and I agree that 6x9's suck balls, but if I'm honest the standard speakers are not that great either compared with other VAG systems I've come across, even with my decent head unit running zero EQ (EQ is a no no) i just feel it's lacking any sort of depth. IMO of course as sound perception while mainly the same for most people it still boils down to personal preference.

Cheers for your responses, yeah 6x9's aren't great but I like the oomph they have to offer that the 10's lack in the rear. Especially as sub's love to dominate what precious boot space I have, it seems a reasonable compromise haha

I've changed the HU already to a Sony XAV-70bt, and next on the list is investing in some front speakers.

Cheers for your responses, yeah 6x9's aren't great but I like the oomph they have to offer that the 10's lack in the rear. Especially as sub's love to dominate what precious boot space I have, it seems a reasonable compromise haha

I've changed the HU already to a Sony XAV-70bt, and next on the list is investing in some front speakers.

Low pass on the amp? If so, will it do a reasonable high crossover point? Something like 120hz would have them working sub-ish and putting the sound directly into the cabin.

J.

I've got a Double din Pioneer with a std set of speakers. It actually handles the tunes I throw at it ok. Obviously fund allowing i'd upgrade all the speakers to 2 sets of components off a 4 channel amp. But where funds are limited an upgraded headunit with std is a far better setup than the std headunit can provide. thats all i ment!