Lidl winter screenwash available again

Just visited my local Lidl (York) and found their wonderful winter screenwash on sale. This is the stuff that protects down to -60C and is suitable for the fanjets fitted to the Octavia. It's £5.99 for 5 litres.

The guy in there told me it flies off the shelves and is usually only available at this time of year so I bought 6 bottles - should keep our two cars going till October 2012!

Hi Steven,

I might of missed discussions on this so apologies, but how is this better than Halfords Premium screen was ready mixed 5L for £4.99?

Simon

Some screenwash is specifically developed for fan type washer jets (the ones that produce a spray or mist rather than a single stream of water).

The maximum temperature they protect against also varies too. Generally the lower the temperature the higher the price.

Some screenwash also contains chemicals that help to dissolve the deposits found in tap water that have been known to block up the fanjets.

Skoda have been known to refuse warranty claims on various components linked to the front and rear screen washer system (jets, pipes, pumps etc.) if there is evidence to suggest that you haven't used the genuine VAG screenwash. A con? I'll let you decide!

Apprantly the genuine VAG (Audi, VW, Skoda & SEAT) screenwash is good stuff. Others, as the OP suggests, have discovered that there are cheaper alternatives out there that offer similar or better levels of protection.

Last year I bought 10 liters of the genuine screenwash on eBay for £25 or £2.50/litre. Even so this is much more expensive that the Lidl stuff...

There are hundreds of screenwash threads, especially during the harsh winter of 2010.

Some don't give screenwash 'quality' a second thought, others like me who have experienced frozen washers and the subsequent smeared screen whilst trying to complete an 80 mile daily commute and have had to soak their washer jets in vinegar to unblock them will testify it's worth getting the good stuff!

Edited by silver1011

Hi Steven,

I might of missed discussions on this so apologies, but how is this better than Halfords Premium screen was ready mixed 5L for £4.99?

Simon

The Halfords stuff protects down to -6 whereas neat the Lidl stuff will protect down to -60! Diluted 1:2 it will still protect down to -10 and give you 15l of screenwash.

This stuff got us through the worst of last winter without any trouble - unlike the rubbish that we bought from a petrol station that we left in the car and froze before we'd diluted it :dull:

I got several genuine VAG screen wash bottles on my 2010 service deal vouchers and it really is good - never get a blocked nozzle or that fluffy blue scum building up in the filler filter.

I think it would have been nearly £4 a litre bottle, but dilutes about 4 to 1 unless really freezing. Running out now so as we have a local Lidl I'll have a look.

Guys

Just to let you know that the VAG stuff works out to around £1 per litre and is excellent. Not sure if it protects down to -60deg at that concentration though...........

Guys

Just to let you know that the VAG stuff works out to around £1 per litre and is excellent.

I can vouch for the genuine VAG stuff, however as per my earlier post the cheapest I've found it for netted down to £2.50/litre.

Where are you buying the litre bottles for a pound?

I've heard rumours of five litre containers, but for a fiver?