Project Fabia "Mongrel" thread

devonutopia

Well, as I made a project thread on another forum, why not copy/paste as I never did a proper mongrel thread. Should be a good read for those that don't know much about the car:-

This is about my Skoda Fabia TDI project. Began in February 2004 when I bought my car second hand for £5k - It was only 3 years old at the time and had done just 60,000 miles. Perfect time to start playing - just out of warranty.

This was it the day i collected it: Was totally stock aside from some limo tints and 15" Golf GTI rims the previous owner put on.

New_furby1.jpg

At the time I wanted it to kind of follow in its predecessors footsteps - which I crashed.... So I fitted the remapped ECU from that car into this one, and right away - 145bhp. Thanks very much - stock engine. Later I had it tweaked again by Jabba and it got to 154bhp - largely on stock PD100 setup. Think I had a panel; filter and decat.....

Within a couple of months I was back using a Fabia on track. This is me at Anglesey in mid 2004. By now the car was running on 17" wheels again, and I'd lowered the suspension using just springs.

FURBYANGLESEY2.jpg

But I always wanted something a bit more... OK, a LOT more from this car so I decided as I was unable to buy a vRS when I was looking for a new car, I wanted to build something bonkers. So this is when "The Mongrel" project began to take shape. The idea? To build a PD130 converted Skoda Fabia - The first in the country (world to my knowledge....) so this began in the summer of 2005. Here's some pics.

DSCN9049.jpg

stripped.jpg

HYBRID.jpg

A tasty Allard VT2 turbo was fitted as I decided if I was going to do this right, it needed a hybrid right away. So the above one was used.

DSCN9147.jpg

Trying to use vagcom / ETKA to help with where things were missing.

DSCN9222.jpg

312mm Audi TT brakes fitted at same time as oem 256mm would not cut the mustard

DSCN9082.jpg

Once the engine work was all completed (Took a while due to rewiring needed and other teething issues due to this conversion never having been done before) I was remapped by Jabbasport to a healthy 221bhp and 360 lb/ft. The power was immense and finally I had a car with proper guts.

The show season the following year usually brought over some curious folk

DSCN0378.jpg

I had it back on dyno a couple of times to confirm power was around 220bhp.

DSCN9320.jpg

And also continued to use it on track, finding the new power very useable and made the car a bit of a track weapon. This was Mallory Park in late 2005.

mallory1.jpg

I had a go at topping up fuelling fitting a US Designed propane injection kit. It did the job but soon found lugging that tank in the boot affected performance so OUT it all came about a year later.

DSCN0087.jpg

DSCN0090.jpg

Over the next 18 months or so the car remained in this form. It went to Czech Republic and back (TWICE) and even did a Nurburgring session where I did my first laps ever - 15 of them in total. However, as usual, 220bhp started to get a little boring, so I knew it was time for the next step, so the car was given to Allards who fitted a VT5 turbocharger and then mapped it. It ran more power, but I began dabbling with nitrous and LPG injection, so I never knew the power it did compared to before. However, it did one run with nitrous and propane on of 259.4bhp. This kind of power is only temporary though and without NOS i reckon it ran 240 to 245 daily.

I added a few bits along the way. I decided to try out a water methanol injection kit - Snow Performance stage 2. The battery went into the boot, so I had room to install the pump & control gear/reservoir into the engine bay. Here's a couple of pics.

DSCN2221.jpg

DSCN2222.jpg

Yes, that is a Nitrous solenoid in blue above. I installed a Wizards of NOS 100 shot kit to see what would happen. :D :D

DSCN2223.jpg

I also made some styling changes. I got a vRS Fabia front bumper and chopped out the numberplate area much like I did with the other bumper. Then meshed it off, and also fitted a Leon Cupra R front splitter. This splitter fits well on the vRS bumper.

And now power was getting quite serious I needed some gauges to be able to keep an eye on things. I ended up getting a Racetech needle boost gauge, backlit, a VEIsystems digital EGT gague, and a Spa dual water & oil temp gauge. And an oil pressure gauge on its own too.

DSCN1481.jpg

DSCN1480.jpg

After getting used to this power, I also began to realise the traction issue so got a spare 6 speed box and a Peloquin differential, and combined the two along with a 600 lb/ft Spec Clutch and ally flywheel from the USA. The clutch is amazing and the diff just allows reliable power application all the time. When the car wheelspins now it is spinning up both wheels equally so you just know grip is lacking :D Around corners, the diff puts power down so well to the outside wheel.

Here's some pics of the clutch going in

DSCN1667.jpg

DSCN1671.jpg

DSCN1674.jpg

Whilst owning this car I also got a taste for detailing and the like. After getting some tips I decided the Brembos could do with some work. Came up lovely.

Before

DSC00385.jpg

Wet sanded

DSC00387.jpg

Lacquered

DSC00394.jpg

I also did some machine polishing on my car and since this time have done various friends and family motors, and also trying to get into doing as a kind of part time sideline business too.

Removing swirls - before and after shots.

DSC00269.jpg

DSC00270.jpg

and another set

DSC00272.jpg

DSC00273.jpg

In the rain, the dogs danglies wax I use meant ultra nice and bulbous beading. :D

DSC00159.jpg

After more abuse, the (now my second hybrid) turbo finally let go - Doing what it did best - giving me max boost up Kesselchen on the Nurburgring. I decided now that it was time for the ultimate rebuild, so I made some more upgrades.

Head was sent away for more porting. I fitted Firad nozzles which provide plenty of fuel. Forged rods from Rosten for secure power. And at the heart - a GTB2260vk turbo - stock from 3 litre Audi Q7, which is amazing in stock form. Mounted to a tubular manifold. It looked lovely:-

DSC00577.jpg

Also, I decided the butcher the car to fit Mark 5 Golf GTI front seats, The comfiest most supportive seats I have ever sat in! (Thanks Dad for getting one so I could find this out!) Took some work to get them in though!

DSCN2887.jpg

DSCN2888.jpg

At the same time, to avoid what I suspect was overheated oil that killed my turbo, I fitted an external mocal oil cooler where my old side mount used to sit. Keeps oil temps well in line with what they should be.

DSCN2965.jpg

• Like 1

Some installation photos whilst work was going on:-

cleaned up piston VS old one. More life given

DSCN2980.jpg

New steering wheel :D

DSCN3000.jpg

Decided to renew the headlights as they were getting proper cloudy with age. New first, then old....

DSC00501.jpg

DSC00502.jpg

Cleaning the cylinders

DSC00500.jpg

Part from the old turbo. Guess thats how it died then LOL

DSC00618.jpg

Head going back on

DSC00579.jpg

DSC00584.jpg

Video of first start-up. Rough as a badgers! :D

th_MOV00595.jpg

Finally (and I am still going...) I got some good mapping for this new engine and am now at a consistent 275bhp on relatively mild mapping of 2.2 bar of boost. There is potential to safely wind this turbo up to 2.5 bar. :D

I took this car to Santa Pod early on and with a bit of nitrous helping things along I managed a quarter mile of 13.7 seconds @ 105mph. Poor launching meant times were quite low compared to the speed I was crossing the 1/4 mile line in. Here's a rather poor pic of my slip. Shows I was reaching 96mph from standing start in 11 and a half seconds. Before this motor would be lucky to reach 60 in 12 seconds on original power.

mini-137QUARTER.jpg

Whilst the car was in early stages of running new gear I took the opportunity to do something I always wanted - get the roof painted black. I didn't want just stock looking black so I got a purple flake put in the lacquer, which only shows up when the sun shines directly on it. Otherwise it is a metallic black like any other. Gave it the same wax treatment of course.

DSC00727.jpg

Also painted the wingmirrors myself, using oem Skoda metallic black paint. :)

Firstly got spare mirrors off Ebay - were in red with damage so sanded down:-

DSC00632.jpg

Then painted black (coat of primer in between but no pic of that stage)

DSC00633.jpg

and on the car:-

DSC00684.jpg

I have done a couple of rollings roads since, both with no nitrous as I am yet to really see what it can add (plus the bottle is empty at the moment :D) - Here is the better of the 2 runs. My other one was 272bhp but proper smokey

DSC00917.jpg

And here's a dashboard video of an uphill bit of acceleration. All testing of course, not on public roads.

Also recently have fitted the bigger 256mm back brakes as found on some other VAG machinery. Step up from the old 232 setup for sure. Also went for some tarty discs and pads.

This was when I was tarting them up ready for fitting. All painted with primer and red paint to match my Brembos

DSC00870.jpg

Then on the car!

DSC00894.jpg

Needed some adaption of the car to make them fit! LOL

DSC00893.jpg

Ummm, and this is where I am at the moment. I am sure to have left out plenty of natty details like Brembos brakes, various alloy wheel uses, interior changes, bodywork changes, and the like, so here's a few pics to finish off this car project.

DSC00934.jpg

DSC00620.jpg

mini-RING10EUROORIGINALSHOT.jpg

DSC02101.jpg

DSCN2246.jpg

trax320.jpg

Great thread Jason. :thumbup:

Really nice to see how you've tried things and how the car has developed.

I'm looking forward to seeing your recent modifications in action and watching just how low you can get that quarter mile time next year. B)

Quality thread, enjoyed reading this. You must be pretty handy with the tools by sounds of it!

I've learned by experience, but I have a good mate who is a trained mechanic with all the gear & know how to do most of the work! :D That's him angle grinding my back brakes in this thread. :D

• 1 month later...

Really love this thread, its been a great source of motivation and inspiration to me. I'm currently working on a similar project, a pd 100 base with a sprinkle of pd 150 / 160 parts plus a few other toppings from other marques.

The one point im sticking on at the moment is choice of box. I've been looking at the 6 speeds off the early vrs with the longer ratios.

Would you happen to know if the box came from a car of the same age would the box mate up? or is there adaptation to be done.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

My gearbox came from a PD130. All the 02Ms fit fine. If you're converting a 5 speed though, you will need a few other bits too like driveshafts, starter motor, gearstick/cabling, clutch & flywheel.

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/transmission/?sort=featured&page=1

The above chap does 6 speed conversion packages - worth a call/email if you want to reliably get everything you need in one hit. :) The packkage isn't listed on the site though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Fantastic build thread, this car is amazing with the work that has gone into it. Have you any more close up pic's of the manifold to fit the Q7 turbo on it?Is the turbo also still running standard internals?Who built the manifold for you?

im sure the manifold is all designed and made by darkside developments :) they sell them on their site

luke

That one didn't come from them. The manifold is turning out to be a bit of a nightmare - I think it could be leaking already so soon after the last welding up and work done. I might just bite the bullet and buy Darkside's one as it seems to be a better bit of kit.

• 2 weeks later...

That one didn't come from them. The manifold is turning out to be a bit of a nightmare - I think it could be leaking already so soon after the last welding up and work done. I might just bite the bullet and buy Darkside's one as it seems to be a better bit of kit.

From what ive seen and read, all their kit seems to be high quality. Im hoping to get mine down there for mapping and a few little pieces. Its just gaining the funding as it'll probably kill my clutch knowing my luck :3

Some serious dedication, time, money and lots of love.

Trully an inspiration.

I can not give you enough credit for such awesome machine, it's simply just amazing.

You sir, are amazing.

• 11 months later...

Maybe when the new turbo is properly tuned up and remapped I will.

Only real update is a GTB2566vk turbo, and a new PB at the Pod of 13.4 @ 113mph (on my old turbo though)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Little bit of an update due to for this thread

New exhaust - 3" straight through.  This is the downpipe.

DSC_0005.jpg

This the system fitted.  Neat fit for a side exit!

DSC_0197.jpg

3 bar boost gauge as I will be pushing boost in excess of 2.5 bar (my old gauge) soon

DSC_0193.jpg

New 6 pot brakes fitted which have better caliper clearance than my old brakes!

DSC_0199.jpg

DSC_0202.jpg

• Like 1