Anyone have an MPV previously?

dobbey

how does the boot compare? I've read all the facts and figures, but does it compare to an S-MAX? have you had an issue with the height of the boot? My current Car is a Mitsubishi Grandis, and you can get a bike in that easily. Can you measure the height of the boot opening (or lowest point of boot) please?

And just any general differences really

Thanks

Josh :)

S-Max boot much larger than the Superb, but roof load better with a roof box.

Still need to remove front wheel and seat to get a bike in upright.

The S-Max boot by tailgate is lower due to roof line.

If you want space buy an S- Max but be wary of servicing costs and tyre wear.

I stepped from C4 Grand Picasso... C4GP is roomier if height is important, and has much better all around visibility. Also after being used to almost panoramic windshield in C4GP, I had to choose panoramic roof. Panoramic roof lowers ceiling little bit (unconfirmed, but read somewhere).

But as noted above, length is more than generous and it bests almost everything on the market. I have also upgraded from 2nd longest to the longest Thule and it fits perfectly.

Another notable difference is that C4GP (and most MPVs) have three seating in 2nd row, also 3 isofix latches. Superb have 2+1 seating, as middle seat is for short distances only. Also there is tunnel for 4x4, so there is no much space for legs (not sure does non 4x4 have this?). Adult can hardly fit between two isofix child seats. I am not sure that any child seats can fit in between (did someone manage to fit all three?).

But, since I have two kids, it was better choice for me. I have noticed that side seats in 2nd row are much farther form doors. That looks much more reassuring, and I don't have to say "watch hands" as there is plenty space between car seats and doors. All MPV's with 3 full seats are "too close" to the doors.

Also, practicality of cabin is far behind any MPV. There are no much hidden or visible storage compartments. Boot however is pretty good organized, but no 3rd row available like E class...

Clearly written by someone who has never driven a modern MPV.

It's not about how they drive it's about how they look and their whole ethos. In a nutshell they are "Very Practical".

Now my estate is very practical and dull too, but it doesn't go as far as an MPV. ;) ;)

It's just a personal opinion expressed on a open forum. It's not directed at anyone or an attack, so please don't take it that way.

Cheers

Steve

I moved from a Verso to the Roomster. Rear tailgate on the Roomster very comparable to an MPV and you still have the flexibility of removable and individual seats in row 2. The 1.2 (105bhp) TSI is also quite punchy as the Roomster is much lighter than most MPV's.

Edited by hertsnminds

Different people, different tastes...

I drove S-Max Titanium, and it feels an look sportier than Superb. For that reason my friend bought it instead of Superb. I went another route, didn't mind about sportier ride but more quality interior and more comfortable ride. I still think that my ex Grand Picasso looks more lively than Superb which is a little bit dull to be honest... However bigger MPV-s (Galaxy, Voyager, Sharan etc..) are classic people carriers, and different league, not comparable at all...

I'd like to be mean about the S-Max, but having had one as a hire car, I can't really. It look pretty good for an MPV (certainly better than any others IMO) and drives very well.

The reason I wouldn't choose one is that, like all Fords in my experience, the interiour feels 'tacky'. Not badly made as such, but just looks a bit cheap - lots of silver painted plastic, that kind of thing. Oh and a grim looking stereo too.

Not having 2.4 kids (just one increasingly lanky teenager), a bit of luxury and comfort was higher on my list than maximum internal volume.

I did go the ford dealer, but they didn't have an s-max, so they said they would call me when they got one in. That was 5 weeks ago, and no call. The MPV I am looking at is the Peugeot 5008. Looks quite good, bigger boot than the S-Max, and spec for spec cheaper by alot

S-Max is most expensive mini MPV, it does offer lot, but cost deterred me from buying, so I went for Grand Picasso. I also agree about 'tacky' interior description, and I hate silver finish on most modern cars. It looks awfully bad when first signs of use shows up (scratches, discoloration of most touched parts etc...). Top spec S-Max and Superb are two different leagues regarding interior quality and feel. Actually most MPV's are like that. Recently new Alhambra and Sharan showed up, I haven't had chance to properly see or test them, but I might think they could have better interior. But they are heavier MPV league, like Ford Galaxy, Voyager etc...

Went from company Zafira to Superb Combi.

Skoda is in a different class, both in comfort and handling.

Also fuel costs were almost double with the petrol Vauxhall.

Best move I have ever made in car choice.

Phil

Sorry for thread hijack but i would value your collective opinions on summat.

My 3rd child is about to arrive which will give me a 10-yr old, a 1-yr old and the forementioned new baba.

Do you think the Superb can cope with all 3 kiddies in the back? (Maybe the eldest in teh middle) or is it a C4GP for me?

Thanks guys

Edited by JGMVRS

Sorry for thread hijack but i would value your collective opinions on summat.

My 3rd child is about to arrive which will give me a 10-yr old, a 1-yr old and the forementioned new baba.

Do you think the Superb can cope with all 3 kiddies in the back? (Maybe the eldest in teh middle) or is it a C4GP for me?

If 10 year old will be in the middle and without car seat, it can be OK. I am not sure that three car seats can fit behind. There are only two Isofix latches on the sides. Middle seat has just regular belt. Maybe three seats can fit if none of them is connected to Isofix latches. Also middle seat is not comfortable as it is shaped more like transition between two seats.

In C4GP you have three separate identical IsoFix seats. You can have 2 more in boot. It is easier to put kids in seats, as it is higher than Superb. You can recline backs on 2nd row seat, which will look like Superb seat position.

• 2 months later...

I moved from a VW sharan to Superb Estate.

I was very worried about the downsize.

The space inside the car is only two adults and small child. We took two baby chairs and adult in the middle and was a tight squeeze.

The boot holds 4 biggish cases whereas my Sharan could have at least 6 suitcases. The slope of the boot restricts the space unlike the Passate which is square.

Although good mpg and service costs lower still happy with my superb estate after 60000 in under a year.