New bushes = increased tyre roar?

I had the vRS serviced a few weeks back now, 60,000 service and cam belt too. The bushes were apparently worn and there was a lot of play in them (whatever that means) so the tech recommended having them changed. They couldn't get hold of Cupra ones that day so I just told them to use OEM ones.

Since then I've noticed that tyre roar (well, I think that's what it is) seems to be at an all time high. I know the Fabia isn't the quietest car anyway, but in addition to the normal noise there seems to be an additional loud roar at speeds above 50mph. On the motorway at anything even slightly above 70 the noise is pretty distracting.

The tyres are all ok, they ain't Pirelli's or anything but there's 6mm on the fronts (Barums) and 5mm on rears (MAXXIS) and PSI's are correct all round. I know the noise wasn't this bad before having the bushes changed, but would new bushes cause this or is it likely to be something else? I don't know if I'm imagining this but the car also seems a little less grippy than it used to be at the front and I'm not as confident when cornering because of this.

My thoughts are maybe they have knocked the tracking out of alignment while changing the bushes - is this possible and would dodgy tracking cause increased tyre roar and the front end to slide more easily? Wear seems to be even across all tyres at the moment.

Thanks guys, hope someone can advise! B)

I was going to suggest tracking. I think it's appalling that even very late Mark 1s are having problems with these bushes - surely Skoda knew by then there was a problem. I had an advisory at the service about mine and they've only done 29k miles - they said it's purely age related!

I was going to suggest tracking. I think it's appalling that even very late Mark 1s are having problems with these bushes - surely Skoda knew by then there was a problem. I had an advisory at the service about mine and they've only done 29k miles - they said it's purely age related!

I know what you're saying here... but it's not really only Skoda's fault... the part was used across the cars based on this platform... And VAG have now revised the part.. it's got 4 little arms instead of the original 2... But yeah, it did only come after production had ended.

To the OP. Wonder if it's a bit of what people complain about when fitting the cupra bushes.. You'll have gone from the original design to the slightly stiffer version i mentioned above.. DRJ has a good point, tracking noise being transmitted more aggressively up the chassis now the bushes are taught again. Is it really bad? I didn't notice any more noise when going to the Cupra bushes myself, but I think colder weather makes the Fabia more rumbly in general and all the rubber parts get stiffer.

Also, if it's the console bushes they changed.. they WILL have put the tracking out, it's a guaranteed side effect from how much they have to dismantle the front end... I had the bushes done on both my Fabia's and both times was advised to get the tracking done afterwards as a given. another thing is, if your tracking's out and the bushes had been on there way out for while then you'll now me driving about on a different contact pact that most likely has a bit more tread left on it... so could be a combination of all the above??

Our SDI failed its MOT yesterday for console bushes.

They are less than 1 year old. They have been in such

a short time that you can still see traces of the

white lube used when they were fitted yet they are literally in bits.

That's the last time I buy any cheap pattern cr@p.

It's not like the SDI gets driven hard either, it's done just 7k

since they were changed last.

Genuine parts for me next time.

I know what you're saying here... but it's not really only Skoda's fault... the part was used across the cars based on this platform... And VAG have now revised the part.. it's got 4 little arms instead of the original 2... But yeah, it did only come after production had ended.

To the OP. Wonder if it's a bit of what people complain about when fitting the cupra bushes.. You'll have gone from the original design to the slightly stiffer version i mentioned above.. DRJ has a good point, tracking noise being transmitted more aggressively up the chassis now the bushes are taught again. Is it really bad? I didn't notice any more noise when going to the Cupra bushes myself, but I think colder weather makes the Fabia more rumbly in general and all the rubber parts get stiffer.

Also, if it's the console bushes they changed.. they WILL have put the tracking out, it's a guaranteed side effect from how much they have to dismantle the front end... I had the bushes done on both my Fabia's and both times was advised to get the tracking done afterwards as a given. another thing is, if your tracking's out and the bushes had been on there way out for while then you'll now me driving about on a different contact pact that most likely has a bit more tread left on it... so could be a combination of all the above??

Hi mate, thank you for your detailed reply. I have just got Skoda bushes on the car, I asked for Cupra ones but was told they couldn't get any in that day and I wanted to get it all done on the same day. Thanks buddy, I will get the tracking looked at and hopefully that will cure the problem.

Hi mate, thank you for your detailed reply. I have just got Skoda bushes on the car, I asked for Cupra ones but was told they couldn't get any in that day and I wanted to get it all done on the same day. Thanks buddy, I will get the tracking looked at and hopefully that will cure the problem.

I have always believed that a realignment is necessary after any

major suspension work. So I'll have to pay for that again as well

as having to pay labour again getting the bushes done on the SDI.

Not to mention the inconvenience of having to have the car off the

road while it's being done.

The 4 web bushes on the vRS are holding well though, they've been on

since June 2010.

I'll be getting a set of these next for the SDI.

When changing from the std spec bushes, the new uprated Skoda "X" style console bushes alter the tracking by a little over 30 mins toe in (1/2 a degree) each side.

The reason for this is the new bushes have a 3mm (approx) offset which the original spec bushes did'nt have.

Here's a pic (offset in direction of arrow).

006.jpg

SDI all fixed again.

Have the genuine 4 web bushes in there now. (as pictured above)

All in supply and fit and realign wheels. £190

Goes back in for its re-test this morning.

Don't just get a cheap tracking job done, you want a decent 4 wheel laser alignment after suspension work.

Check out: www.alignmycar.co.uk

For what it's worth I had Cupra bushes fitted and it does seem rougher and noisier, but feels much tighter. Ifyou've been driving on knackered bushes, then the car will feel different as you've got used to the old, tired set-up.

Don't just get a cheap tracking job done, you want a decent 4 wheel laser alignment after suspension work.

That's what I got done.

I've spent a lot of money where the work was done

this year. He cuts me some slack with the pricing for

the repeat business. I agree that it's very important to

have wheel alignment done properly. My MX5 is off to

Wheels in motion on Thursday

to be set up properly. I've heard it's about the best place I can

take it for the work. £114 inc VAT but there's a lot more to adjust

on the MX5 than the Fabia. :thumbup:

Check out: www.alignmycar.co.uk

For what it's worth I had Cupra bushes fitted and it does seem rougher and noisier, but feels much tighter. Ifyou've been driving on knackered bushes, then the car will feel different as you've got used to the old, tired set-up.

I dunno man, I think I preferred the old, tired set up, haha! The front end now just seems to crash and bang over even slight road imperfections. It does feel tighter but as I previously said, it feels a bit slide-happy at the front too. How much would I be looking at for a proper 4 wheel laser alignment? Don't want to spend that much more on it!

My garage charges ME £22 cash for 2 wheel and £35 for 4 wheel, at places like quick fit expect prices to rise to £65 for 4 wheels.

But a good local cash in hand garage should charge £35-£50 for 4 wheel alignment

My garage charges ME £22 cash for 2 wheel and £35 for 4 wheel, at places like quick fit expect prices to rise to £65 for 4 wheels.

But a good local cash in hand garage should charge £35-£50 for 4 wheel alignment

Thanks mate, the guy I spoke to on the phone was quite coy about the price saying it basically depends on how much the alignment is out by - I wouldn't know how much it would cost to be honest but don't want to be ripped off. :thumbup:

£35 is the price for front tracking. If you want 4 laser alignment with proper print out and be ready to spend a little bit more. On other side at a lot places will charge depend on how much needs to be done and you will know that when its checked/diagnosed. Really accuate equipment cost serious money and garages wont do it RIGHT for nothing.

£90 for a Hunter alignment in Norwich. Even the guys at Robinsons (main dealers) advise you to go elsewhere as their equipment just gives you factory settings, which are generally very slightly less than optimum for most cars.

The Hunter system sets the wheels up to the centre of the car, not some number determined as a compromise by a designer somewhere. Spend the money, you will appreciate the difference.