Deposit paid on new vRS

It's mainly a VAG badging exercise this. Audi for example, have been using the terms differently to Skoda.

According to Skoda's website, at this moment in time, it's referred to as a TFSI. This is confusing in another way, as it's actually a different unit to the one used in older vRSes, which were also badged TFSI. Then when the newer unit was released, they badged it a TSI. How straightforward emoticon-0143-smirk.gif

http://www.skoda.co....aspx?model=1Z35

It's got a 2.0 litre turbo petrol engine in it, that's all you need to know ;)

And equally important will be chain driven and not belt.

Absolutely, as well as being slightly more economical and also will respond a bit better a stage-1 remap :)

More technical detail on the differences between EA113 and the newer EA888 are pretty well documented here:

http://en.wikipedia...._TFSI_125-199kW (OLD)

and

http://en.wikipedia....5kW_.28EA888.29 (NEW)

The TSI engines are the Turbo/supercharger types and T FSI are just Turbo Charged , The Octavia VRS is a 2ltr T FSI engine.

The FL Octavia has the TSI engine and it is Turbo only. The pre FL has the TFSI engine and it is also Turbo only.

The FL Octavia has the TSI engine and it is Turbo only. The pre FL has the TFSI engine and it is also Turbo only.

But that FL TSI engine is now referred to as the TFSI. Straightforward eh? :)

Referring to the Skoda Octavia vRS EA113 or EA888 is surely a more logical way of referring to your motor vehicle? ;)

But that FL TSI engine is now referred to as the TFSI. Straightforward eh? :)

Referring to the Skoda Octavia vRS EA113 or EA888 is surely a more logical way of referring to your motor vehicle? ;)

Its not referred to as the TFSI in any Skoda Octavia?

Its all quite clear to me. I've got a TSI. Its the same engine as in the Golf GTI Mk6 with slightly less power.

What does "continuous vane-adjustable" variable intake valve timing mean though?

Edited by juan27

Has it EVER been TSI in the brochure?

The brochure I downloaded in June 2010 before buying mine had TFSI in it. I just assumed they hadn't got round to changing it.

Has the engine cover got TFSI on it now?

I do take your point though that even Skoda don't seem too sure!

Edited by juan27

Now you're asking! Not too sure to be honest, don't tend to keep that close an eye on the brochures or the website, as both tend not to be that upto date emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

In some ways, sticking to TFSI would be more consistent, taking the VAG family as a whole.

For example, I don't think Audi have ever used TSI, with either the EA113 or EA888 (you can see I've resorted to referencing engine codes, in an attempt to be clear about which we're talking about :D)

Well, what would you like to know?

:p

You could call it a new TFSI, or a TSI if you like. The first term is certainly the most accurate, as the unit is indeed a Turbo with Fuel Stratified Injection. Or you can call the latest one an EA888, definitely!

But if the VRS is a TFSI then so is the 1.8TSI as its got the EA888 engine too.

My handbook calls my VRS a TSI as does the latest edition.

Czech Skoda-Auto website on the RS:

Motory

Benzinový motor 2,0 TSI o výkonu 147 kW......

Seems to me the factory call it a TSI but Skoda UK either haven't bothered to update their website/literature or want to carry on with TFSI for some reasons of their own.

Unless I'm very much mistaken there's nothing that comes from the factory that calls it anything but TSI

In the end it doesn't really matter. Its all juat marketing:

From various VAG (UK) websites about the 2.0 engines:

TSI when fitted to the SEAT Leon/Exeo, TFSI when fitted to the Audi TT.

TSI when fitted to the VW Passat and TSI when fitted to Golf GTI (and R which I thought had the "old" engine)

TSI when fitted to the Skoda Superb but "T FSI" when fitted to the Octy VRS...

From the Irish brochure:

The Octavia RS combines excellent technical

parameters with comfort and a sporty style. It is offered

in a liftback and a Combi version and you can choose

between the 2.0 TSI/147kW (petrol) and the 2.0 TDI

CR DPF/125kW (diesel) engine for either version.

So the bottom line is TSI is the VW group norm.

Why Skoda UK (on the website) call the engine one thing in the Octavia VRS and another thing in the Superb and don't follow what the factory calls it in the VRS handbook is anybody's guess.

Edited by juan27

PS Just looked at the car configurator on SUK website. If you select the "T FSI" engine for the Octavia VRS it brings up a picture of an engine cover with TSI written on it (in fact moulded into the plastic)

I thought it was on the engine cover...saves me opening the bonnet on mine!

So the definitive answer is:

The current petrol Octavia VRS has an engine known as TSI in many other VW group products including the Skoda Superb.

In the Octavia VRS handbook it is referred to as a TSI, and on the engine cover it is badged as such.

For some reason Skoda UK refer to this engine on their website as the "T FSI"

Nothing on the car itself says anything but TSI

Edited by juan27

Was at the barber's this morning and whilst waiting flicked through the Top Gear new car listings.

If they are to be believed all petrol Audis are TFSIs and everything else (VW, SEAT and Skoda) are all TSIs with the exception of the Octavia VRS which is marketed as T FSI, but as I've said before has TSI moulded into its engine cover.

Not for the first time Skoda UK leave me mystified.

Edited by juan27

As said, there's not really any rhyme nor reason to it.

That was the point I was trying to make at the beginning, that the unit in an Audi is the same, but it's badged differently.

• 4 weeks later...

Xenons woulda been my choice on the list.

Mine's also on order for March delivery, so while I still have some time to consider options, why Xenons?

Are they that much better than normal Halogens?

Enough to justify the £750 retail?

My only problem is we can't spec folding mirrors! Starting to really p1ss me off... SUK say can't, but its available in other countries.

Mine's also on order for March delivery, so while I still have some time to consider options, why Xenons?

Are they that much better than normal Halogens?

Enough to justify the £750 retail?

My only problem is we can't spec folding mirrors! Starting to really p1ss me off... SUK say can't, but its available in other countries.

Worth getting xenons i say,They make a big difference B)

• 1 month later...