Front Wiper motor

Morning all. I have an intermittant problem with my front wipers. Some mornings when I switch them on nothing happens. If I then manually pull the blade whilst in the on position they will slowly start to work. This has been getting worse of late so Im guessing the motor is dying. Would I be right in thinking that the correct part number would be 1J2 955 113C ? And would it come with the linkage if I bought it new?

Dan

Most likely that the linkage is seizing up (very common problem). I've just replaced the linkage on my mates 02 Audi A4 which was doing the same thing as yours until it finally seized up solid a couple of weeks ago. Linkage kit was £66 from TPS. My local TPS had 4 of them on the shelf because they sell 2 or 3 a month!

As with Paul, it is most likely the linkage.

Pop out the scuttle panel (wiper arms come off first) and then remove the motor and linkage. Remove the circlips, and separate the linkage. Clean up the spindles, pack the bushes with grease and reassemble. Job done. I did this back in 2006 and I haven't have a problem since.

Here is one of mine cleaned up (note the pitting on it):

002.jpg

The skuds wipers were incredibly slow, fast speed remained the same.

I removed the wipers motor and rack

IMGP2800.jpg

Removed the circlips at the wiper arm ends of the wiper cranks

remove the washer and the O ring below and keep spraying penetrating fluid from both sides of the shaft (there's no O ring at the base end of the crank shaft, just a washer). Pop the ball joint off the base of the crank

Clamp the base of the crank in a vice (I had to smack the tommy bar of the vice with a hammer!) and continuously rotate the rack to help free the shaft whilst pushing the housing off the shaft. The passenger side took 10 mins of winding backwards and forward to get it out, the drivers side took 30 mins :o, lube continuously!

IMGP2801.jpg

Once the cranks are out emery cloth the shafts to remove the corrosion, the cranks shaft housings have a pressed bush at each end, between is powder like corrosion and old dry grease that causes the shafts to seize, scrape out the crud and wash out with wd40.

Clean, dry, silicon grease (silicon to protect the seal from perishing - thanks wild Bill) and reassemble.

IMGP2802.jpg

Don't be tempted to hit the shafts out, you'll damage the thread!

Mind those fingers, these are basically a guilotine and will cut your fingers off!

Clean out the scuttle drains to prevent water ingress into the foot wells.

IMGP2804.jpg

Refit the wiper motor / rack, plug the wiring back in, reconnect the battery, ignition on and the wipers should self park (its highly likely the motor will move whilst removing the cranks), turn on the wipers and check both speeds and intermittent wipe functions, turn off the wipers and allow to self park (remove the ignition key) before refitting the wiper arms (a dirty screen helps to position the wipers in the same position as previous)

This would also be a good time to replace the pollen filter beneath the windscreen scuttle panel.

+1 for linkage spindles. Happened on mine recently. I replaced the motor anyway as had ordered a new one and got a good linkage from a breaker, as with limited tools I could not free the spindle. Have a spare motor should you need one...

I agree that its probably the linkages but I was thinking of buying a used motor with the linkages already attached. That way I can grease up all the relevent parts before I strip down my own wiper motor and linkages. Then swap it all over.