MG, what a joke

FellyMagic

I quite like the looks too, and it is well specced! I'd probably have it over a similar priced focus ;) however, I haven't sat in one to check out the interior, I sat in a superb recently in my skoda garage, and the interior was lovely... lovely alcantara seats too... not sure what spec it was.

I'm quite happy to stick my head above the parapet and say that I liked the MG6 that I sat in.

From the outside it's a decent looking car and the interior was a very pleasant place to sit.

List price (which nobody pays) for the top spec hatchback is £20k including heated leather electrically operated seats, reversing camera and satnav, sunroof, alloys, climate and so on - for a car of that size it's quite reasonable.

Pricing up an Octavia Elegance with the 1.8T engine and some of those features as options was coming up as about £24k and if you do the same for a Focus, Astra or Golf you'll see just as large a number.

I expect the driving dynamics aren't class leading and they definitely need a good diesel engine sooner rather than later but it's a shame to see them struggling so badly.

That car is 6 months old, and will have had a list price close on to the £24k of the Octy, and has sat on the forecourt unwanted, which says it all. Tyres will probably have nice flat spots too, and things will be starting to seize up. If he knocked £5k off the price, he 'might' stand a chance of shifting it

I'd rather have a Superb 1.8TSi Elegance Estate for about £21k -ish on the VAT campaign, I would that that most people would do the same.

I think it that MG was £14,995 it becomes an attractive buy if you're happy to run it until it dies.

That car is 6 months old, and will have had a list price close on to the £24k of the Octy, and has sat on the forecourt unwanted, which says it all. Tyres will probably have nice flat spots too, and things will be starting to seize up. If he knocked £5k off the price, he 'might' stand a chance of shifting it

No, £20k *IS* the list price, and as far as I can see it's a brand new car with delivery miles.

http://www.mg.co.uk/the-models/mg6-magnette.aspx#/?page=PRICING_MG6

If sure that if you wandered into a dealer you would be able to negotiate a healthy discount, just like you can with plenty of other makes.

As for cars seizing up because they have sat on a forecourt for 6 months...

It's not that long ago that manufacturers built cars before they had buyers and then stored them at the docks or on airfields. You had no idea how long your car had sat around before it got to the dealers and that never seemed to cause them problems.

Well even Ssangyong managed 39 sales,and Perodua managed 42, but Skoda managed a respectable 2944, which gives them an almost 3% market share for October. Kia seem do be doing rather well, notching up nearly 5000 sales last month. Blimey!

Take away the 15%, 20% deals and skoda wouldn't shift as many cars as they have, simples. That's why they keep extending it. VW's plan is to overtake Toyota in sales, diff is Toyota don't have to offer up to 20% off their cars to shift them

No, £20k *IS* the list price, and as far as I can see it's a brand new car with delivery miles.

If sure that if you wandered into a dealer you would be able to negotiate a healthy discount, just like you can with plenty of other makes.

It's not that long ago that manufacturers built cars before they had buyers and then stored them at the docks or on airfields. You had no idea how long your car had sat around before it got to the dealers and that never seemed to cause them problems.

Reg date - 01-Jan-2011

That makes it over 11 months old, not new in my book. As has been said it has been sat there all year totally unwanted and they still want £20k for it. I saw a demo driving down the A5 the other week in black and to be fair it looked terrible. It simply has been over designed, trying to bolt the best bits of every car together and failing miserably. From the reviews and the high res pics i have seen of the interior, that is also a massive fail too, such as the handbrake which you jam your thumb in the centre console when releasing.

I saw one the other day and nearly crashed the car I was that surprised to see it. It's a shameful use of the MG badge as there is nothing MG about it. Chinese developed and built. The whole BL saga from the mid-70s makes me cringe. There was so much potential and actually some good cars.

Rover SD1 Vitesse

Rover 800 Vitesse

Rover 75 V8

Reg date - 01-Jan-2011

That makes it over 11 months old, not new in my book. As has been said it has been sat there all year totally unwanted and they still want £20k for it.

The car is brand new and unregistered, to list a car on ebay you must specify a registered date even for new. Even if it was 12 months old its still new. Vauxhall and ford have massive stocks of new cars stored on fields and ex. army base runways, some of which have been there for 18 months or more. These are still sold as brand new, despite some of them being up to 2 years old already. The only difference this is at a dealer and not on a giant car park of new cars.

The car is brand new and unregistered, to list a car on ebay you must specify a registered date even for new. Even if it was 12 months old its still new. Vauxhall and ford have massive stocks of new cars stored on fields and ex. army base runways, some of which have been there for 18 months or more. These are still sold as brand new, despite some of them being up to 2 years old already. The only difference this is at a dealer and not on a giant car park of new cars.

This ^^^^^

For a start, if it really was registered on the 1st of January that would have made it a 60 plate not an 11, and it would also have needed the DVLA to have been working on a bank holiday.

It's a brand new car being advertised at list price.

As an aside, you can still buy new previous-shape for a huge discount if you know where to look.

Calling it an MG is taking Pee, 90% of the UK population associate the MG marque as pure British made sports cars, more recently the Phoenix group started of well and went bust but at least it was an all British Brand. For some reason the Chinese makers seem to think if they stick a well known badge on a car it will sell, definite Fail. I think a totally new badge name on it will help the sale numbers + £5k. of the price of course.

Just looking at the kit tally on this one, it's quite extensive but if the interior feels cheap and nasty, I'd regret it everyday I sat in it. I've only seen one in the metal and not had access to the interior so can't say for definite what it's like inside but from what I've read on't interweb, it's not good. Maybe they should knock off the 9995 bit off the price...

I quite like the looks too, and it is well specced! I'd probably have it over a similar priced focus ;) however, I haven't sat in one to check out the interior, I sat in a superb recently in my skoda garage, and the interior was lovely... lovely alcantara seats too... not sure what spec it was.

Both of you havnt sat in the car but have negative views of the interior already? badge snob? i am sure the dealer will give a big discount as stocks are not moving.

20k for a MG :drunk::rofl:

i am sure BMW Mercedes Driver do the same

£20k for a skoda :drunk::rofl:

when you can can have c class or BMW diesel for same price

Edited by tony2311

Calling it an MG is taking Pee, 90% of the UK population associate the MG marque as pure British made sports cars, more recently the Phoenix group started of well and went bust but at least it was an all British Brand. For some reason the Chinese makers seem to think if they stick a well known badge on a car it will sell, definite Fail. I think a totally new badge name on it will help the sale numbers + £5k. of the price of course.

So it is ok for vauxhall and Ford.

What about the nissan micra when it was first built here? big advert built in britain when all they did was screw a few bits on.

So it was ok for a few brits to stick chavy head light & silly badge(England flag,chequer flag) on a 12 year old car HONDA/BMW design car.

All Phoenix group did was drain the company dry then sell it for peanuts and make British tax payers lose many millions. do your research Phoenix milk away millions and rob everyone who had dealings with the company

Edited by tony2311

They won't give you a discount which proves as to why the car is still at 'full price' when it is 6 months old. And those cars that 'sat in fields for ages' were nearly always plagued with issues, especially rust, and electrical gremlins, as the damp got in. The Roewe 850(its real name, not MG) is NOT a quality product, and it isn't going to be the bargain you think it is, when after 6 months it is worth less than £7000, and there is nowhere to get it serviced, and the warranty is worthless. The dealer margin on these cars isn't that great, and they will not sell them at a loss. Whoever buys that car must insist on a replacement battery, and 4 new tyres before it leaves the forecourt.

Also, Motorpoint Group of Derby recently purchased a batch of MGTF's directly from MG, and have been selling them for around £3-5000 less than UK list, and these are 61 plates. Talk about kicking your 'dealers' in the crotch...

Both of you havnt sat in the car but have negative views of the interior already? badge snob? i am sure the dealer will give a big discount as stocks are not moving.

i am sure BMW Mercedes Driver do the same

£20k for a skoda :drunk::rofl:

when you can can have c class or BMW diesel for same price

I have actually sat in several examples Tony, the plastics are 3rd rate, with sharp edges, and exposed screws, the leather is the same 'petrochemical substitute' type as found in the Cityrover, which wore after only a few months, and they aren't screwed together that well at all. They just feel flimsy and not worth the money, plus its the good old 'blow your headgasket every 200 yards' K series under the bonnet, an engine that first saw the light of day in the 1980s in the Rover 200.

And Keith Adams actually shares these views, and he has actually driven the things. It pains him to see how crap the car, and the company is, and he knows it is all a living joke now. He even used the infamous line 'so long & thanks for all the fish'.

No it's not a fair comparison.
But would you take a chance on a Chinese car?

This is basically going how I thought it would go. Only they're going downhill quicker than I suspected.
And I think Skodas are a overpriced right now too.

No it's not a fair comparison.

But would you take a chance on a Chinese car?

This is basically going how I thought it would go. Only they're going downhill quicker than I suspected.

And I think Skodas are a overpriced right now too.

it helps if you base it on the right car instead of found a a old first chinese design car then compare it with a BMW 7, how much more bias can you be?

compare the roewe 550 video to the 2005 octavia

is the Chinese car really bad? is the interior really cheap because you read about it?

Edited by tony2311

it helps if you base it on the right car instead of found a a old first chinese design car then compare it with a BMW 7, how much more bias can you be?

It helps if you read the post.

I never said it was a fair comparison.

Edited by Aspman

I know I posted the roewe 550 video, but you do have to ask how fast it was going, as it's the C-NCAP not Euro-NCAP which I think is slower.

Anyway, sure all will be revealed when the MG6 goes through the euro ncap.

I'd not buy one tbh, but that's more because I think we send enough money to china and I'd want a car made in Europe.