Winter Tyre Headache

langtoonskoda

Just purchased my first Yeti.

It's now time to fit winters and being cautious, I contacted my insurance company and they say it's happy

for me to fit winter tyres as long as they meet the manufacturers documented spec..

This is where the problems begin..

I've spent days now searching through this site for pointers to the mythical vehicle documentation

that the Skoda owners manual tells you to refer to regarding Skoda approved tyre sizes.

The excellent Factory fitted Rim’s & Tyres UK guide comes close but not quite..

I purchased a second hand 2.0 TDI 110 4x4 Yeti. If I'm right, this is the 81kW model??

The standard size tyre appears to be the 215x60x16 95H.

An alternate winter size appears to be 205x55x16 94H.

There is a note in the forum to say that 91T is acceptable for 2wd 77 & 81kW engines, but no

note to say that it is acceptable for 4x4.

Phoning around 5 local Skoda dealers resulted in 5 sets of varying opinion on the subject. The best

value/quality tyre option offered by both one of the dealers and one type company was 205x55x16 91T.

The fact that the UK speed limit is 70 (honest..), plus it's winter (in Scotland we really do get winter..)

so speeds are considerably lower, the tyres will never get anywhere near the rated speed.

Can anyone confirm if this is a valid speed/load rating for the 110 4x4? or advise once and for all what Skoda UK

deem acceptable?

Many thanks..

Graham

Welcome Graham

Unfortunately as you have found out, Skoda UK are very unhelpful in that they do not recommend anything....

Only if you want to fit snow chains.

I went for 215/60 R16 on my Yeti, and many people have gone down this route. I do not intend to use snow chains. The reason for the smaller tyres is the size of the chain links so there is clearance between the wheel and the suspension.

Some people don't like the look of their Yeti on 205/55 R16 as the wheel arches look empty.

By the way, there is a section on the main forum home page just for this type of question, called Tyres, where we should be posting all topics like this, there was a big upset a week ago.

Maybe a moderator will move this there.

Check out the rest of Briskoda.

Hi Graham,

The document in question is published but by Skoda Germany;

My link

The 110 4x4 has an engine code of CFHF which you will find in the fist column of the above document. Note the official winter tyre as you suggest is the 205/55 R16 94H but that's to allow for chains to be fitted. If your not going to use them and your running on 215/60's as standard then stick with them would be my advice.

Of further note for a 4x4 you do need a 94 load index (91 for 2wd only).

Regards,

TP

Hi there,

Thanks for the advice.

After the last two winters there's a chance that at some point I may need to fit chains if things get extreme up here in Scotland.

The German site you mention verifies that the 205/55 R16 94H are options should chains be required.

Will these be valid without chains as well?

Does the German ok hold true with Skoda UK?

Sorry to be a thickie on this but it's better to check.

Thanks again

Graham

Edited by langtoonyeti

The German info is the approved manufactures list and applies to all Skoda models mentioned. Ran 205/55 R16 94 H winter tyres fitted to 7Jx16 ET45 rims on my previous Yeti 140 with no issues.

Note the European type approval number on your V5C and you should find it on the list (unless there's been an model update since the list was last amended).

TP

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There is a dealer in Mansfield who is offering winter tyres and wheels complete, maybe if you ask them they will tell you the spec of the tyres fitted.

Hi Graham,

The document in question is published but by Skoda Germany;

My link

The 110 4x4 has an engine code of CFHF which you will find in the fist column of the above document. Note the official winter tyre as you suggest is the 205/55 R16 94H but that's to allow for chains to be fitted. If your not going to use them and your running on 215/60's as standard then stick with them would be my advice.

Of further note for a 4x4 you do need a 94 load index (91 for 2wd only).

Regards,

TP

Thanks for the link.

Found my engine code - Located correct tyre size - thats the winter tyres I have fitted - printed out the page for reference,

John

Many thanks for the link from me too. :thumbup: I have found the right page for my Octavia II but so far have been unable to identify in my car's documentation where there is mention of its Typschlussel-nummer.

Many thanks for the link from me too. :thumbup: I have found the right page for my Octavia II but so far have been unable to identify in my car's documentation where there is mention of its Typschlussel-nummer.

Hi DGW,

apologies for missing your question; the Typschlussel-nummer I believe is the trim code but not sure if it applies to Germany or market wide :wonder: I use the Gen-nr e11 ...................... This can be found in your V5C

Oh by the way an updated list has just been published;

My link

Regards,

TP