1.8 TSI DSG gearbox

Bloody typical...

Took mine into be serviced and get them to check the box, NFF on the box, no error codes, el zippo! :evil:

Anyway despite this Garland's have filed a report to SUK regarding this issue, whether anything will come of it I don't know, but it's bloody annoying, because at the end of the day I want another DSG boxed car, I don't want a manual one again, but this is putting me off it.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I took it home & on the way home it was almost perfect until about a 1¼ m from home and I got the judder again and it's been doing on & off all day today. :swear: ing thing.

• 2 months later...

My 1.8 TSI has exactly the same problem, but I also noticed it occuring when starting off and turning at the same time. Agree its worse with 4 up. The car's done 14000 miles in 10 months and is not driven hard. Give it some welli and it never happens.

Doing it all of yesterday, and took it to the garage this morning by prior arrangement for them to have a look. The box was the smoothest it's ever been! Sod's law, but there was nothing for them to comment upon.

Keep you posted

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Update - been a few months after I reported it to Skoda and still no resolution.

Part was on back order since December (I know Skoda in Czech Republic lost their computer system and that created havoc).

Anywho - I complained to Skoda uk and they are saying the part might be available this week (good) . The part in question is a clutch assembly OAM/98/4/F.

I am curious it this will help as everywhere I read about DSG clutch judder they say 'mechatronics' needs replacing. But that is what Skoda's computer spat out when hooked up to my Octy.

I will let you know how it went when it finally got :think:sorted.

• 1 month later...

Hello - I do not know if people still follow this topic but I will post an update anyway - for future reference :blush: .

Last week I had the new clutch assemply installed on my Octy and the clutch judder is gone. Gear shifts are very smooth now.

It was a long wait but was worth it.

Anywho... just wanted to give you contact details to Skoda UK guy who was really helpful and made the replacement of the clutch happen much quicker. His name is Daniel Wilson and he was really great along the way - a really nice change from the usual crap british customer service. So when you contact Skoda Uk - ask for Danny.

Pleased to hear that, I had a new clutch pack fitted 2 weeks ago and it has cured my 'judder' too. Just in time for me to pick up my new Peugeot next week! At least im part ex'ing with a clear mind knowing the on going problem was sorted and not becoming someone elses.

• 3 months later...

Had exactly the same problem with mine. Started at about 15,000 miles with a very minor judder. Low speed, light throttle, most likely to occur uphill and four up.

Took it to White Dove in Cardiff. Couldn't find a problem, but identified the fact that there was a technical note about it that requires the replacement of a clutch part. "If it happens again bring it back"

A trip to my dentist of about five miles some two weeks later, gave no indication of a problem on the way there, but every 1st/2nd change on the way back gave rise to the judder, some of which made the whole car vibrate. I phoned White Dove on the way back and took it straight back to them. A technician come out with me and....it drove like a Rolls Royce!!! Whatever I tried it would not do it.

White Dove tried to get Skoda to agree a repair in accordance with the technical note, but "Unless you experience it yourselves, you are not authorised to do it!" After some calls Skoda agreed for White Dove to have the car for a week to see what they could find but the problem did not occur.

I had the car back for over three weeks before it happened again, but on a Sunday and over 100 miles from White Dove I could feel the judder through the pedals and steering, on Monday it was perfect.

Then one afternoon my wife came back from shopping to report that it was 'dreadful', and it was, worst ever. Straight to White dove, she left the engine running while I got a technician.......and it performed, not once , not twice but six times in a row. Yippee!!

Drop off the technician, and immediatly it drove perfectly. Skoda have now agreed to the modification, and its being done as I type.

My only suggestion, which might be of help in the future, is when the dealer has to inspect this intermitant problem, and the car is taken in for them to experience the problem when it is occuring, don't switch off the engine. That seems to have been relevant in my case.

A word of praise for White Dove of Cardiff. They have been very helpful, kept me up to date with what they were doing with phone calls and gone 'the extra mile' in trying to sort things for me.

With all these computers and electronics nowadays and greater mechanical reliability, often garages will overlook the obvious.

One of the primary causes of clutch judder, (assuming it's a dry clutch - ie not running in oil like a motorbike) has always been

oil leaking onto the clutch face.

Cause is failure of the oil seal. I've no idea how the DSG box is set up, but as I believe the clutches run dry and the box has got oil in it; then logic dictates that there must be the possibility of contamination caused by failure of the relevant oil seal?

A clutch is a clutch and oil leaking on to the face will usually produce the juddering symptom, more noticeable in first and reverse on a manual car. Don't know if that's any help to anyone?

• 6 months later...

My Superb 1.8 TSI estate's DSG7 has also started juddering with 2nd gear since 18,500 miles and really shook the whole car this evening. It's getting worse by the week and two different dealers say "No fault found" even after my girlfriend and I felt it when their tech was driving. This is a serious and common fault (a friend also has exactly the same issue with his company Octavia) and I'm shocked at the dealers' failure to acknowledge such an obvious non-intermittent problem. If one of you is a dealer or from Skoda UK who knows what the problem is, please let me know before I formally reject the car and take legal action. A friend in the RAC will act as witness. In my opinion, the DSG7 is weak, not up to the task in a big car and needs to be recalled. Apart from this and lots of annoying rattles and squeaks over the last 3 months which also can't be resolved, the car is just about OK. I was hoping to keep this car for 10yrs (like my 175,000 mile Volvo) but, my gut wants shot of it before the warranty expires. Please can somebody tell me that they have done at least 20,000 miles since DSG repair and provide contact details of dealer who fixed it, thanks. A real shame as I loved this car during the first year and hate it now. In hindsight, I wish I'd now got the DSG6 in the 2.0 TSI as it's much tougher and up to the job. Cheers guys!

Hello again.... I nearly soiled my pants on the M4 this morning after my DSG (in D) went from 7th to 2nd at 60mph with no warning and no error code apart from "D" flashing about 5 times on the multidot after a pulled over to the hard shoulder. It was like hitting the brakes hard (my foot was nowhere near the brake) and luckily there wasn't an Audi licking my tailgate as they'd not have seen any brake light of course. I took a video of the flashing "D" to show my dealer so that they have to now accept that my car has a serious problem. It's now on the ramp being looked at while I type and I hope to hear something this afternoon. I will now always be expecting this to happen again so, I'm trading it in (unless Skoda UK will let me reject it) asap for something with a "proper" auto. My first and last DSG - sorry!

I can now add to the 1.8 tsi troubles with a story of a 7 month old Octavia, 8,000 miles on clock and a faulty DSG gearbox exuding oil and metal filings. Now awaiting word from Skoda Uk about the extent of repair eg new mechatronic or full gearbox.

Cars been off road for 5 days so far until they got to bottom of problem. I'll keep you up to date on this saga which spoils a very happy first seven months of motoring and some satisfaction. in fairness Skoda Replacement Vehicles have been great in ensuring hire car has been frely available - wish the dealer was as quick and efficient

PS hope the dealer is up to the major repair - yes, I must really rename myself Tom Cynic.

Interesting.

I've often wondered if the 1.8 tsi is a bit much for the 7 speed dry clutch DSG. The 6 speed wet clutch DSG in my 2.0 TDI has not missed a beat in 7 years and 74,000 miles.

Now I am told I need a full gearbox/mechatronic replacement on my 7 month old Octavia DSG 1.8TSI.

only problem is the dealer has been told to look for and fit a reconditioned DSG unit by Skoda UK.Should I be worried by the word "reconditioned" or is this normal to ensure a reasonably prompt replacement from within the UK.

whilst I still will have a long warranty to come, I may still have the hassle of a less than satisfactory performance of the new gearbox and more visits to dealers.

anybody any experience of this happening to them?

As your car is only 7 months old, I'd be pushing for a new gearbox and not a reconditioned unit........and I don't think that's unreasonable......after all your car is practically brand new.

• 2 months later...

I'm pleased to say that a technician at my local dealer noticed the problem straight away by saying "F*** me, that's bad!" when I took him for a spin. He said "Drive straight back, you can't drive it like this" and wrote "Clutch Pack" in marker pen on my paperwork. Since they said my car could be unsafe, I was given their Rapid (Rapid by name and by nature!) 1.4 TSI DSG7 demo car as a courtesy car there and then. I recently picked up my Superb with a "Modified DSG7 Clutch Pack" and it's been transformed and I hope it stays that way. If it happens again, I'm going to part-ex before end of warranty it for a something with a DSG6 (New Octavia VRS estate?) as they are much more robust. I'm surprised that this is such a common problem as I'm one of those that has had a major fault with EVERY new car that I have bought but never a company car. ;-( I was hoping to get Shark Performance to upgrade the ECU on my 1.8 TSI but, there's no way I'd risk it now as the DSG7 appears to struggle with the default torque and power.

Hello again.... I nearly soiled my pants on the M4 this morning after my DSG (in D) went from 7th to 2nd at 60mph with no warning and no error code apart from "D" flashing about 5 times on the multidot after a pulled over to the hard shoulder. It was like hitting the brakes hard (my foot was nowhere near the brake) and luckily there wasn't an Audi licking my tailgate as they'd not have seen any brake light of course. I took a video of the flashing "D" to show my dealer so that they have to now accept that my car has a serious problem. It's now on the ramp being looked at while I type and I hope to hear something this afternoon. I will now always be expecting this to happen again so, I'm trading it in (unless Skoda UK will let me reject it) asap for something with a "proper" auto. My first and last DSG - sorry!

Yes I fully understand how you feel, especially about Audi idiots, but who does a proper autobox these days?

• 3 weeks later...

I've done just over 2,000 miles since the new clutch pack and it's actually sharper than when the car was new. However, I'll not decide anything until just before warranty expires. I'm still can't get an ECU update out of my head, has anyone with a "Modified DSG7 clutch pack" done this? Nice to have a superb Superb again. ;-)

Edited by TabbyBoy

"It's that man again!"

Hi

I am having problems with the 1.6 diesel dry 7 speed DSg in a 2010 Octavia hatch.(bought new from a Skoda dealer)

first noticed at about 8 months.

Despite extensive, expensive and 3 months off the road prolonged, warrenty work which finally incluced a complete new transmission.

Problem is still exactly the same.

It only manifests in low speed manouvering on a slope, but transmission drops out of gear or selects a "false neutral"

Despite gently and steadily and increasing applied throttle and left foot remaining firmly planted on the floor at all times.

Skoda are trying to tell me this is a "normal operating chacteristic"

I have recently therefore instigated legal action.

• 10 months later...

EPILOGUE

Skoda has had a product recall here in Australia and at 90,000 km I have had a new mechactonic unit fitted and a new software upgrade, all paid by Skoda.

Post recall, the clutch shuddering from first to second, which I had come to accept as part and parcel of driving the car, has gone! Finally! A smooth car!

Only took five years of ownership and 90,000 km to finally achieve it!!

Edited by afterdarker

• 1 month later...

1.8 TSI 7Sp DSG  2011 Clutch shudder from 2 to 3 from a stop on an incline after 1hour with a load ( 3up ).this fault only started after 20000 miles and was difficult to reproduce until I found the right conditions, only by accident after doing three identical journeys. Took it to DM Kieth Leeds with only 4 weeks warranty left and was  fixed with new clutch pack .First class service but am going to get another 2 year extension to the warranty to make sure 

• 8 months later...

Two years later and I still have my Superb and I'm happy to report that the DSG7 has been flawless ever since the clutch pack was replaced.  Due to the problem I had and my insistence, I was given a free extended two-year warranty and will keep this car until close to expiry, probably when the drop-dead-gorgeous MK3 Superb is out.  I was going to look at a remap if I kept mine but, the new 2.0 TSi 4x4 DSG with 280 bhp will do me when the time comes!