VWlabs Navsync

Navsync worked for me today.

It depends on how much you use sat nav. As mentioned else where I will go and see between 2 and 8 clients a day all over south London and Surrey/Sussex & Kent, so I personally find it very useful, not having to dismantle all the time like I used to do with Tom Tom on the iPhone and other standard alone units. Yes I could get a brodit bracket that fixes it permanently somewhere, but I like my car to look tidy & OEM without any wires or add on units to be seen when parked or when driving. Specially as I can park in some pretty dodgy areas.emoticon-0136-giggle.gif To me, a bracket means there is something in the car worth nicking, or then there is the tell tale circle on the window unless you clean it every time you remove it. Then you have to store it somewhere in the car or take it with you. No For me the Columbus is the best option, but for some it is not worth the cost if they don't use it several times a day, every day of the week.

This works with all firmware versions, as they are exported as Vcard files and the columbus has always been able to import these. The 38xx firmware is required if you want to import POI's as opposed to destinations.

• 5 months later...

In case my recent experiences are of any help:

I couldnt get VWLab Navsync to download/install until I first removed Adobe AIR from my PC and let VWlab re-install its own version.

Vcards ( ****.vcf) files are placed in a folder named "destinations" ( Columbus doesnt see them otherwise).

Columbus saw and listed non-VWlab created vcards but although I had GEO data in them couldnt load them.

Havent worked out yet what fields are essential for Columbus to work - does anyone know ?

• 2 weeks later...

Message on the VWlabs.com website -

IMPORTANT NOTICE

We would like to thank all the users of vwlabs.com for being a part of our research community. Your participation and feedback have been critical to the continued improvement of existing and new ideas. Unfortunately, the applications presented in vwlabs.com will soon be shut down. Vwlabs.com will continue to be available in its current form until June 14, 2012.

Thank you for your support!

Volkwagen Electronics Research Lab

So any other way of getting destination info onto SD cards in the right format ?

• 1 month later...

I just create simple vcard files manually :-

e.g.

BEGIN:VCARD

VERSION:3.0

GEO:53.385544;-2.351603

END:VCARD

Just paste the above into Notepad, change the lat. long.*, and 'save as' a .vcf file with an appropriate name.

* for the lat. long., I just find my desired location in Google Maps, right-click on the point I want to go to and select 'Drop Lat/Long marker'. Then just copy the figures and paste into the vcard file. 2 things to note - you will have to use Ctrl-C to copy the lat/long from Google Maps, and you need to replace the ', ' separator with a ';' instead (i.e. replace comma+space with a semi-colon)

• 5 years later...

Topic dragged from the dead, but i found a cool util on github that does exactly what is needed & will convert from GPX and ITN to vw's archaic VCF format. Its a java app so you'll need to succumb to the eternal misery of java updates and bow down at the temple of Larry Ellison, but it works. Brilliantly.

https://github.com/SiWoC/VcfCreator