vRS very unhealthy

Guest George512

Guest George512

Well I have already booked the car in at Capitol Skoda but it's not due in til next Tuesday, due to the EML coming on a couple of times with no other noticeable symptoms but today things took a turn for the worst.

I noticed today a big drop on the normal power, quickly followed by stuttering under load/boost, then the EML did it's 5 seconds of flashing and disappeared again... Then after Uni on the drive home, I booted the throttle and was met with even worse misfiring/stuttering as well as a new warning coming on the maxidot about Engine fault: workshop, and the EPC light coming on... then the car kinda stuck in stuttery limp mode.

Oh well, hope it's nothing bad and is quickly fixed under warranty!

Should phone Skoda Assistance and they will diagnose it for you and if they can't fix it will get it straight in a dealer (priority) and give you a hire car. :thumbup:

Should phone Skoda Assistance and they will diagnose it for you and if they can't fix it will get it straight in a dealer (priority) and give you a hire car. :thumbup:

Only problem with above is you may end up at White Dove in Cardiff! Capitol were always brilliant with me when car was under warranty. Now i tend to use Europerformance in Llantrissant. Good luck.

Only problem with above is you may end up at White Dove in Cardiff! Capitol were always brilliant with me when car was under warranty. Now i tend to use Europerformance in Llantrissant. Good luck.

Very true.. also We will not be able to diagnose and Engine Management Light fault over the phone it will need to be connected up to a diagnostics machine at your local dealer

When this happened to mine it was a faulty spark plug.

Injector coil was also a possibility but found not to be the case.

Hope you get going as soon as possible, I was instructed to stop driving the car until fixed.

Regards

Tony

But it will be under warranty as it is a VRS II and Skoda assistance would do a roadside diag with their portable VAS machine and may be able to fix it there and then.

Guest George512

Thanks for the well wishes peeps :)

I didn't think of the assistance bit next time I'll bear it in mind.

I will update everyone with the news when it's been in :)

Well I have already booked the car in at Capitol Skoda but it's not due in til next Tuesday, due to the EML coming on a couple of times with no other noticeable symptoms but today things took a turn for the worst.

I noticed today a big drop on the normal power, quickly followed by stuttering under load/boost, then the EML did it's 5 seconds of flashing and disappeared again... Then after Uni on the drive home, I booted the throttle and was met with even worse misfiring/stuttering as well as a new warning coming on the maxidot about Engine fault: workshop, and the EPC light coming on... then the car kinda stuck in stuttery limp mode.

Oh well, hope it's nothing bad and is quickly fixed under warranty!

Sorry to hear of your troubles. :doh:

Unfortunately, I too have had problems with my vRS. The EML came on a few weeks back and then went out again ,so thought nothing of it.

However over a period of time the frequency increased until the dashboard warned me to pull over.

It always seemed to happen when trying to put my foot down in Sports mode!

To cut a long story short ,after a couple of RAC call outs and a week at the dealers for investigation .it turns out that the culprit was not only a couple of ignition coils but the spark plugs.

Apparently, the spark plugs were upgraded on the later models.

Car seems to be running fine now, fingers crossed.

Dealer been top class as usual, gave me a hire car for the week and sorted things out,

Really glad when I got my vRS back ,it was awful driving a 1.2 htp,soooooo bloody slow!!! :rofl:

Also had a software update,by the way.

Sounds like your car suffering the same way.

Hope you get it sorted.

Guest George512

Hey bingo thanks for taking the time to reply. That sounds exactly like mine was - under very heavy acceleration (which I don't do too often) I got the EML. It came on a second time so I rang up to book in a couple of weeks ago. Then in the last couple of days, exactly like yours did, mine took a turn for the worst.

I will be sure to mention the spark plugs and coil packs, and also the ECU update to the dealer, hopefully that will speed up their diagnosis :thumbup:

Hey bingo thanks for taking the time to reply. That sounds exactly like mine was - under very heavy acceleration (which I don't do too often) I got the EML. It came on a second time so I rang up to book in a couple of weeks ago. Then in the last couple of days, exactly like yours did, mine took a turn for the worst.

I will be sure to mention the spark plugs and coil packs, and also the ECU update to the dealer, hopefully that will speed up their diagnosis :thumbup:

No worries matey ,glad to help. :thumbup:

Do let me know how you get on.

Guest George512

An update, car went in this morning and just had a call from the dealer and it's ready for collection. Apparently the car only needed a "software update" and that "seems to have fixed it" so hopefully all is sorted. I'm a little bit sceptical considering how bad the misfire was but I'll take their word :)

Guest George512

Cool, yeah I've had the lumpy misfire when cold problem as well as some more severe misfiring.

Just drove the car back now, seems to pull a lot stronger now under load, not sure if I felt a couple of little blips in power delivery or not - going to wait to take it for a longer drive before I make my mind up. Fingers crossed it's just my imagination!

Cool, yeah I've had the lumpy misfire when cold problem as well as some more severe misfiring.

Just drove the car back now, seems to pull a lot stronger now under load, not sure if I felt a couple of little blips in power delivery or not - going to wait to take it for a longer drive before I make my mind up. Fingers crossed it's just my imagination!

:thumbup:

Good news, lets hope its sorted first time. Keep us posted

Guest George512

:thumbup:

Good news, lets hope its sorted first time. Keep us posted

Thanks for the kind reply :)

Just taken it for a more "spirited" burn down the M4 a bit to Bridgend and back again now the roads are dead. I think it must be sorted, the power delivery is strong and smooth all the way to the redline again. Very happy with it :)

Glad you're car seems to be behaving itself again.

Although I was a little wary my fault would reoccur, so far so good.

I must admit the car does seem to pull differently when in sports mode, the software update obviously does something, exactly what though I really don't understand! :giggle:

Guest George512

False alarm, mine is still misfiring, so I best ring up the garage and get it back in.

If anything, it seems to be at low revs. For example if you put it in manual/tiptronic, leave it in 7th and put your foot to the floor, it misfires like crazy.

:( Gutted

It does sound like it could be the spark plugs or ignition coils as that is when they are under most load and likely to fail. Yes take it back and mention that you have been on here and other people have said they had the same problem and it was fixed with new spark plugs and coils.

Ian

Guest George512

It does sound like it could be the spark plugs or ignition coils as that is when they are under most load and likely to fail. Yes take it back and mention that you have been on here and other people have said they had the same problem and it was fixed with new spark plugs and coils.

Ian

I did, but typical garage didn't really listen to anything I said. I shall ring back and say something like a "VW mechanic friend" has said it's probably the plugs/coils...

Thanks though :)

I replied to another thread on a similar subject as i've been having exactly the same issue. I thought we'd sorted it with a change of fuel. Unfortunately not the case as the misfire is back again!

Been back to the dealers today and they are unsure what it is as the computer isn't giving them a clue. It's back with them on wednesday to see if they can find the problem.

I'll be mentioning coil packs, spark plugs and software updates too.

Out of interest how old is your vrs? How about the ones that have had spark plugs replaced? Mine arrived at the end of march.

Hope all goes well.

H

Guest George512

That sucks, mine is also march 2011 on an 11 plate. As far as I am aware it hasn't had spark plugs replaced (it's ex demonstrator).

Do let me know how you get on, I hope it's something simple in both cases! I'll be ringing my local dealer on Monday to book it in again. I'm just a little bit concerned because the EML hasn't been back on this time so I suspect the ECU hasn't logged as many events. Hopefully they'll have something to go by.

All the best

• 4 weeks later...
Guest George512

Right an update, nearly a month later. I'm pleased to say that my car now seems to be fine. And the root of the cause - fuel, would you believe it. Previously I was running it on a diet of pure Tesco Momentum 99, but have now switched to Shell V-Power. Misfire problems completely cured immediately and the car runs like a completely different one. Literally feels like it has been remapped on V-Power.

So pro-tip for those with TSI misfire issues - FUEL... perhaps try some V-Power.

All the best and Seasons Greetings :)

Right an update, nearly a month later. I'm pleased to say that my car now seems to be fine. And the root of the cause - fuel, would you believe it. Previously I was running it on a diet of pure Tesco Momentum 99, but have now switched to Shell V-Power. Misfire problems completely cured immediately and the car runs like a completely different one. Literally feels like it has been remapped on V-Power.

So pro-tip for those with TSI misfire issues - FUEL... perhaps try some V-Power.

All the best and Seasons Greetings :)

Great news, hopefully this does not start the massive fuel debate as this has been done to death on the vRS but worth noting.

Happy Xmas to you as well.