What is the point of 18 inch wheels ?

Mog-Puss

I'm thinking of the Elegance spec but worry about the 18 inch wheels adding noise.

I've posted about noise previously and it is a big issue for me. I've also noticed comments about the sense of using smaller ones with winter tyres for ride/noise issue and also cutting through better to tarmac. I've seen people here say that for winter they will change to 16 inch.

Now, what in the first place, is the point of having big wheels ? I can understand it from a point of view of looks, but apart from this, why would they be an actual advantage ? Is it all about prestige and never mind the downward effect on comfort/quietness ?

Can I specify smaller wheels if I go for the Elegance or am I stuck with the 18 inchers ?

I find contrary advice about noise associated with 18 inch and Elegance. I've heard it said 18 inch is noisier but others say no difference noticable. I've heard it said that the Elegance spec has greater sound prooofing anyway but again this gets contradicted and that there is no extra. I've had both aspects asnwered differently at different times / person spoken to, at both manufacturer helpline and at dealer.

I've got to get this right.

I'm thinking of the Elegance spec but worry about the 18 inch wheels adding noise.

I've posted about noise previously and it is a big issue for me. I've also noticed comments about the sense of using smaller ones with winter tyres for ride/noise issue and also cutting through better to tarmac. I've seen people here say that for winter they will change to 16 inch.

Now, what in the first place, is the point of having big wheels ? I can understand it from a point of view of looks, but apart from this, why would they be an actual advantage ? Is it all about prestige and never mind the downward effect on comfort/quietness ?

Can I specify smaller wheels if I go for the Elegance or am I stuck with the 18 inchers ?

I find contrary advice about noise associated with 18 inch and Elegance. I've heard it said 18 inch is noisier but others say no difference noticable. I've heard it said that the Elegance spec has greater sound prooofing anyway but again this gets contradicted and that there is no extra. I've had both aspects asnwered differently at different times / person spoken to, at both manufacturer helpline and at dealer.

I've got to get this right.

About sound proofing : there is no difference whether you have elegance or the cheapest, greenline. I don`t have to guess, because I have both of them at use ! So all the stories about better sound proofing are BULL****.

And I only use 16" wheels on elegance, I had 17" last summer and they are noisier and they don´t last that long. So the only reason that I can see is the looks.....and that makes no difference to me.

The Elegance has 16" as standard or 17" as option with the sports suspension. I have driven quite a few Elegance on standard 16,s. They are significantly quieter than my 17's but that may be down to different brand of tyres.

Edit:

Forget that!! Just noticed this is the Superb section not the Octavia :blush:

Edited by eccleshill

Pretty much sums it up really, it's down to looks, the 18" wheel and tyre combination are heavier than the 16" which in turn reduces the fuel efficiency.

The only Superb available (in the UK) with 16" wheels from the factory is the greenline, there is no option (again in the UK) for anything other than 18" wheels.

Tyre noise is ALL down to the brand and pattern of tyre, OK a wider 225 section has to be a bit noisier than a 205 simply because there is 20mm more rubber on the road, but IMO the OE 225/40/18" tyres are not particularly noisy, neither does the low profile effect the road comfort - something I was concerned about.

My summer OE fit 225/40/18's will replaced with my winter 205/55/16" winter wheels and tyres in the next week or two. (as I did last year) :thumbup:

Thanks for those replies, folks.

I cannot understand why I couldn't just order 16 inch wheels ! After all, there exists a Greenline version of the Elegance, which only comes with the 16 inchers. So there cannot be some technical reason why I can't have them.

I'm finding stuff like this increasingly frustrating with Skoda and I think the company need to snap out of this nonsense. How about this one - if you specify the S model, you "can't" have lumbar support in your seats ( D'oh ! The most natural choice for taxi perhaps, but spoiled by this alone as you really do need supportive seats if you're in the thing all day/night ). And what about the various examples in the options list where you can only have certain options if you also choose other ones ( you don't actually need )

I'm actually swinging more to the SE model rather than Elegance. The standard wheels on the SE are 17, are they not ? I wonder though, if on the SE model I could ask for 16 inchers instead ? ( and also have a full wheel for the boot - which is possible now if it's 16 inch specified ). So, can I ask for 16 inch on the SE ?

Thanks for those replies, folks.

I cannot understand why I couldn't just order 16 inch wheels ! After all, there exists a Greenline version of the Elegance, which only comes with the 16 inchers. So there cannot be some technical reason why I can't have them.

I'm finding stuff like this increasingly frustrating with Skoda and I think the company need to snap out of this nonsense. How about this one - if you specify the S model, you "can't" have lumbar support in your seats ( D'oh ! The most natural choice for taxi perhaps, but spoiled by this alone as you really do need supportive seats if you're in the thing all day/night ). And what about the various examples in the options list where you can only have certain options if you also choose other ones ( you don't actually need )

I'm actually swinging more to the SE model rather than Elegance. The standard wheels on the SE are 17, are they not ? I wonder though, if on the SE model I could ask for 16 inchers instead ? ( and also have a full wheel for the boot - which is possible now if it's 16 inch specified ). So, can I ask for 16 inch on the SE ?

Here in Finland Elegance comes with 17" as standard, but you can choose the 16"-option with no additional costs. :thumbup:

And over here you "can't" specify anything downward, although he's going to check with Skoda tomorrow. If Skoda are bloody-mided about it then it's really silly.

Also, I believe I'm meant to have a full wheel in the boot according to taxi regs ( I'll need to check that ) but apparently as a spare the only one that is a full version is a 16. 17 and 18 spares are only available as space saver versions.

I actually wanted to buy a greenline Elegance simply for the MPG economy, but discounted it straight away as few of the options I wanted/needed :giggle: are not available on the greenline so I went for the 170CR Elegance instead :rofl:

I actually wanted to buy a greenline Elegance simply for the MPG economy, but discounted it straight away as few of the options I wanted/needed :giggle: are not available on the greenline so I went for the 170CR Elegance instead :rofl:

Greenline cannot be bought with spare tyre at all, other models can. It`s that f*cking economy, you know..... B)

Here in Finland Elegance comes with 17" as standard, but you can choose the 16"-option with no additional costs. :thumbup:

And yes, thats what I did. As a side note to the comfort issue (my driving point for the 16-inch) you also have the higher price of the 17-18 inch tires when they eventually are to be replaced. The discussion about comfort in general and noise in particular is in my eyes/ears very personal. What I think is noisy you might even notice and vice versa. You have to test and decide for your self what you can accept in this area. Good luck! :)

/Superbjoser

Simple. If you do that, more people will buy a higher (and more expensive) spec. And that = more £££ :thumbup:

We have the same problem with the Yeti. I wanted 16" wheels on my elegance but no I wasn't allowed to 'downgrade'. The customer is obviously not king......

But, if you look in the yeti section (I can't add link) you will find the Skoda have relented, as long as you don't cancel the order. Thread is called something like downgrading to 16" from 17". The op is The Plumber, who managed to persuade Skoda cz to change order. Auto express ran an article on 9/11/11 on this.

Maybe time to try again .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bear in mind if you get a car with 16" wheels and it normally comes with 17" such as a SE then you might have problems when you come to sell it. A garage will certainly mark it down in price

After four or five years as a taxi and well over 200K miles the look of the wheels won't be a great factor in the small value remaining. For ownership/use scenarios yes perhaps, but not this.

I've just changed from an octavia vrs on 17" rims to the superb elegance on the 18" rims and it is MUCH quieter.

The ride quality is also much improved over the octavia.

I find with 4 people in the car we can have a conversation without resorting to shouting (unless SWMBO is driving but that's a different issue).

Winter tyres are a personal preference for some people, personally I have never found the need for them although that was in manual cars and having never driven an auto in snow before I'll reserve judgement on that.

Not sure about prestige though, all the top marques have 19 or 20" wheels now, a top spec mondeo has 19" rims, insignia elite has 18"...

Message fluffmeister on here, he has a Superb with 17" wheels and I think he'd like to have 18" so perhaps you could do a swap with him?

I Do, and if ANYONE has a set of 18's with tyres and would prefer 17" Wheels, I have an Immaculate set of Triffid's with less than 3000 miles on them that I would be happy to work out a deal with on a set of OEM 18's. Triffieds are the standard wheel on the SE Plus and optional elsewhere,

Here is a pic of my car on the Triffid's, and I really want 18's :)

2011-11-15161443.jpg