Fabia 1.4 16 V "broke down" but then seemed OK?

On Sunday I was pootling along in my 2003 Fabia 1.4 16V, when all of a sudden I had no power so I pulled over to the side of the road. The engine was still idling perfectly smoothly (not lumpy at all) but if I pressed the throttle nothing happened the revs remained constant! The Engine Management end EGR/ECR (I think) lights were on on the dash.

I called the breakdown people, then switched the ignition off. After 20 seconds I restarted then engine and it revved absolutely fine, so I drove back home (it drove as normal, not in Limp Home mode) (and cancelled the recovery). I used it later that evening and it seemed fine again and the dash warning lights were not illuminated either.

Now not sure if this is relevant but the Catalytic converter had developed a small rattle (a few weeks ago, before this break down), so I was planning on getting the exhaust done in the spring time, before its MOT.

What do you chaps reckon? A bit of moisture on a sensor or a complete ECU problem? Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks for your help.

So Vagcom off ebay then? Do I need software for it though to read the codes (and understand them)?

Also how can I be sure to get the correct Vagcom cable (regarding OBD2 and Canbus etc.) ?

AND some ebay listing refer to a licence from Ross Tech that may be required to use, this is when it starts sounding expensive.

Edited by davetrousers

A simple USB cable is all you need, VCDS lite is a free download from Rosstech, these two items will allow you to read and reset codes, they won't do more complex tasks such as throttle body adaption but for now they'll do what you want.

Just post your codes here and I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction.

Have run Auto Scan it says: (and also says at the end Sorry This function requires VCDS Lite to be registered and activated. Please contact the author or distributor for an activation code):

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.1

Saturday, 26 November 2011, 14:20:45.

Chassis Type: 6Y - Skoda Fabia I

Scan: 01,02,03,08,09,15,17,19,25,37,44,46,55,56,76

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine Labels: 6Q0-907-37x-ABS.LBL

Controller:

Note: Can't Synch Baud Rate

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 6Q0-907-37x-ABS.LBL

Controller: 6Q0 907 379 H

Component: ABS/ASR 5.7 FRONT V20

Coding: 00124

Shop #: WSC 13765

VCID: 42F7C90B5D81

1 Fault Found:

01314 - Engine Control Module

79-10 - Please Check Fault Codes - Intermittent

Thanks

The Ebay ones seldom do they are not the best cables.

Wow, awesome advice, newsflash for you:

A cable is a cable, if it's correctly soldered to the plug at one end and likewise at the other IT DOESN'T MATTER!

OP, you can't run autoscan with VCDS lite, please select the engine module and run that.