Auto dimming Rear Mirror

Raf_

If it is the bigger type of mirror that has a rain sensor on (see pic below) you can actually just buy the new bracket and glue it round the old one.

untitled.jpg

The part number for the bigger bracket is (this is a seat part number btw):

3B0 845 543 A - retaining plate for rear view mirror, interior / for vehicles with rain sensor

That is a big round one that fits round the original mirror mount with just a couple of MM to spare. Just glue it on with some appropriate glue (aroldite or similar) and the bigger style mirror mounts will then slide on.

You may also want to get the plastic tube to cover the wires going to the mirror. I got the ones for a Seat Leon as they all seem the same:

1M0 857 591 A - wiring conduit, lower part / for vehicles with rain sensor

1M0 857 591 A Y20 - Pearl Grey

1M0 857 591 - Cupra (don't know what the difference is)

1M0 857 591 01C - Satin Black

1M0 857 594 A - cable channel, upper part / for vehicles with rain sensor

1M0 857 594 A Y20 - Pearl Grey

1M0857594 - Cupra

1M0 857 594 01C - Satin Black

I am leaving the rain sensor for the time being as it is a lot of work (removing mount or breaking my screen). But the above should apply to you guys for the mirror.

Hi Just fitted an auto dimming mirror to my Octy Mk1 from an Audi A8 D2 apparently but taken off a Passat B6. here's a link if it works to the E bay item:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160693413095?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_500wt_1163

It was black as apposed to the light grey/beige interior of the roof of my car but still fits in to the rest of the black interior. I wired it the exact same as my Mondeo I had before. Just pulled out the roof switches /lighting and fitted spade connectors to the positive and earth from the mirror and attached to the drivers side reading light this way I can turn on and off as required or could have just wired to the permanent live feed and earth and have it work all the time.

The mount itself was the exact same if a little loose but some glue on the mounting plate soon sorted thatbut can still twist off and on as required (well still attached by wires tho).

Sorry no pics but happy to talk anyone through it.

Thanks m8 that's really helpful I know some audi a6's had one with a compass built in which would be interesting. Now I need to find a better scrap yard as my local have scrapped all the decent vag cars for some unknown reason! Could be because v is the last row before the crusher!

Wired mine up on Monday.

Really pleased with it. Working great and looks really good. Prefer it to the black on that was there before. Got a light grey one now so it matches the healining and sun visors etc.

Phil

• 8 years later...
On 16/12/2011 at 17:26, greenstripe said:

I am very sensitive to light and the first thing I did when I got my new car was to fit a Gentex auto-dimming rear view mirror in my Fabia II. I'm not sure if this will be of any use to you as I don't know if your windscreen has the same mounting boss glued to it as my Fabia does. mine has one of these:vwadapter2.jpg. I bought one of These it comes with an adapter:

vwadapter1.jpg

the brown horseshoe shaped piece (it's made of copper) -It was a little over sized, so I had to grind it down a little with my Dremel. I then painted it matte black as you can just see it from the outside of the windscreen. The wiring has just two connections: 1 that needs to get connected to an earth point point anywhere on the vehicle and the other that needs to go to a 12volt live supply that goes on and off with the ignition. The unit comes with Scotchlocks for tapping in to the wiring. I know nothing about vehicle electrics and not wanting to upset the can-bus. I arranged for my Skoda dealer to connect up the electrics, once I had done all of the install work and ran the cables. They connected it to the fuse box for me in to one of the spare slots with it's own fuse (not using the Scotchlocks). They charged me minimum labour charge for doing so. -£40 and they washed the car as well.

Hi green stripe, I got the exact one of these like you did. I have the same bracket on the screen and the same VW adaptor.  The thing is, I don’t seem to be able to tighten the Gentex mirror onto my bracket at all, it’s like the torx screw is too short or something and the whole mirror just sort of wobbles about on the windscreen Mount.  I’m normally good with stuff like this, but this has got me stumped 🤔  photo of the bracket, adaptor and the torx screw tightened up to maximum.  Any help appreciated.

4E862C2F-EF6B-41F2-B0DE-FAF8E270A485.jpeg

2CE3FABB-9336-40A2-BA2A-9C6991A9FDCA.jpeg

Hi globalste - That was 9 years ago! trying to remember how it all went together. How does the horseshoe shaped adapter bit fit on to the boss and inside the mirror -mine wasn't very accurately machined so I had to grind it down slightly to fit -  does it go all the way into the mirror? Wondering if you have the opposite problem and yours is undersized, either that or it's  It might be worth getting on to the seller and seeing if they can send you a replacement adapter.