Have I made a mistake?

Ashmount

Hi all

I'm a c class Merc driver who, despite much wooing from my dealer has decided on a Superb Estate 140Ps 4x4 Elegance in steel grey with a few extras in the pack. You don't know the meaning of silence til you deliver that news to a Merc dealer. I've ditched the brolly for a 12 bore swan-off. There are many ways to earn respect.

Before you wolves demand photos I get delivery of this bad boy (did I really say bad boy?) just before Xmas.

However...after reading this most discerning of forums I understand that I'm buying a car on stilts, with a dubious sound system (8 speaker); electric seats with a mind of their own, not to mention the sat nav, which take you where you don't want to go and is driven by a bunch of youngsters (20-42) who have the nerve to drive a car designed for a retired 7 foot men, or women, with 20 years of overdosing on Guinness to their credit and a love of extreme sports. Add to this the necessity for a very fit wife (or so it seems) or something described as a SWIMBO, and I'm left wondering if I've made the right choice.

On the other hand..is this the best decision I've ever made? Convince me...

D

Quite comical I like it, I've still not got mine :-(

I do same to fit manny of your stereo types though, 24, fit misses, extreme ish sports etc.

I know where you coming from with the Merc dealer, was considering a E 350 (the old man always wanted one) and not only did the dealer have a pompous tone & a degree of arrogance I've never encountered but he actually asked "are you mad" when upon his 5-6 (I kidd you not) follow up call I announced "I've brought a Superb"

All the best, how long is your wait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all

I'm a c class Merc driver who, despite much wooing from my dealer has decided on a Superb Estate 140Ps 4x4 Elegance in steel grey with a few extras in the pack. You don't know the meaning of silence til you deliver that news to a Merc dealer. I've ditched the brolly for a 12 bore swan-off. There are many ways to earn respect.

Before you wolves demand photos I get delivery of this bad boy (did I really say bad boy?) just before Xmas.

However...after reading this most discerning of forums I understand that I'm buying a car on stilts, with a dubious sound system (8 speaker); electric seats with a mind of their own, not to mention the sat nav, which take you where you don't want to go and is driven by a bunch of youngsters (20-42) who have the nerve to drive a car designed for a retired 7 foot men, or women, with 20 years of overdosing on Guinness to their credit and a love of extreme sports. Add to this the necessity for a very fit wife (or so it seems) or something described as a SWIMBO, and I'm left wondering if I've made the right choice.

D

:rofl::thumbup: really made me chuckle. With a sense of humour you will fit right in on Briskoda :thumbup:

Hope your purchase/handover goes smoothly and you enjoy your new Superb

Matthew

Surely you've already convinced yourself that this is the correct choice, after all, you've paid the monies for it.

But, as a twenty-something and one of the "bunch of youngsters (20-42) who have the nerve to drive a car designed for a retired 7 foot men", i do feel a little insulted by your post.

On a brighter note, you've done the right thing, and got rid of your poor-man's merc, and bought a quality car, which, as it has 4x4 handles very well. No, it's not on stilts, yes, the Nav works fine, my Drivers seat has only ever moved once in 20 months, and the sound system, once you get the settings right, is not bad at all. - and you'll find the dealers a better bunch to deal with; my merc-derrived Chrysler, was serviced at a Merc main dealer - after they refurbished my alloy wheels after chewing them up for me, i never went back!

Al.

no mistake made, you will be amazed how good this car is.

what you won't get,

1. dealer emptying you pockets every time you go near them

2.arrogant attitude

3.gearbox and electrical faults

what you will get,

1.The delight of having something exceeding your expectations

2.passengers remarking that this really is the thinking man's executive car.

3.excellent service from dealership

downside.......rear passengers are in a different post code to driver

Hi all

D

Well................where do I start

Having now had three OCTAVIAS 04 L&k Estate 130pd,57 Vrs 2.0 petrol remapped to 245bhp (wife made me sell it -TOO FAST)and 08 L&k hatch DSG 140pd

I then embarked on the look out for a nearly new Superb as I had lost loads of money on those three new Skodas

I found a nine month old ex Skoda owned Superb 170CR 4x4 six speed manual and can honestly say it is by far the best car that I have ever had. With 18" wheels it sits quite low so I dont agree with "stilts" I also have a Mazda MX5 which is good fun at roundabouts BUT the Superb holds like s..t to a blanket and it feels like it is on rails.

With the 4x4 system it is much easier to give it loads of welly when pulling out of a junction with only a small gap to go for and no wheel spin like the front wheel drive version.

The sound system is of course personal choice although I find it very good but then my ears are 56 years old!!! Never had a problem with electric seats and if one is clever enough you can set up both keys so the seat is where you or the fit wife wants it to be (PS i have one of those too!!!) Fit wife I mean as she is glaring over my shoulder at the moment!!

As for the sat nav, it does take some getting used to after the TomTom but when you consider the overall Columbus unit it does a lot more than that. Sat nav, phone,media player, radio CD mp3 and all voice activated!! The room in the rear of the car is also something that most other cars lack, you can have a party back there!!

So if an old fart like me can enjoy a Superb then I am sure you will and at around 40-42mpg on average it is a lot of car for the money.

Happy motoring

Regards

Splinter

Thanks for the replies everyone and I'm sure you realised my comments were tongue in cheek and reflected many of the topics on the forum. I'm 56 and planning a walking holiday between the front and back seat of my Superb when it arrives.

I'm getting my Superb in December. It is a dealer demo driven by the MD and I'm really pleased about it, and avoiding the long delivery lead time. I think Skoda aren't making enough of this.You should only be able to buy this wonderful car by invitation and then only after being sponsored by 10 owners. Now that's exclusive.

I did a lot of research and must have read every review going, plus looked at all the videos and even found myself looking for something not to like, but couldn't find a thing. So just gave up looking and bought one. The test drive and the excellent dealership had something to do with it of course :).

I also enquired if my satnav was version 7. I was assured it was and the dealer would upgrade to future versions for me and save me the expense. So off to a good start.

The sawn-off shotgun to replace the umbrella I got from www.justdoasisay.ie. I had the barrel done in Skoda green scrollwork and I carved a hen's head in what was left of the butt. The Skoda badge is meant to be a hen's head isn't it... :S

Sorry about the anti-***** comment which got edited. It was a direct quote fron a Top Gear mag in the shops, but better taste prevailed here.

A

no mistake made, you will be amazed how good this car is.

what you won't get,

3.gearbox and electrical faults

downside.......rear passengers are in a different post code to driver

Seriously ? DSG is not very famous for it`s durability, not by a long shot..... :giggle:

55 myself. Just drove a thousand km during the weekend in my new Skoda.

Sum of complaints: 2

1. No longwave on the radio.

2. When the **** will the English learn to build roads. It took me an hour and a half to get out of London to the M25 and I was nowhere near central London to begin with..

TQB

I have just ditched my c class merc for a superb. I almost bought another c class but saw the light.

When the merc salesman called me to ask "had I thought anymore about another c class" I told him I had just bought a skoda superb, the phone went silent! I asked him if he had ever driven one, "no" was the reply. He hasn't phoned me since.

I have just paid £299 for two years servicing on my superb, including a brake fluid change, air filter and fuel filter change and also 2 mots!!!. My two years servicing cost me £800 at Mercedes!!!

My superb (170 dsg, rosso brunello) makes my c class (c200 cdi) look and feel like a horse and cart!!

Everybody who has been in my superb has had their expectations exceeded.

I am sure you won't be disapointed. However if you change your mind you can always go back to the merc showroom and ask to be flogged, ripped off and buy a car that is very common and very boring.

My seventeen year old wife loves my superb, plenty of room for her and all her friends in it. She can't wait to pass her test!!

My seventeen year old wife loves my superb, plenty of room for her and all her friends in it. She can't wait to pass her test!!

17 year old wife ? Here you can`t even get married without an approval from the ministry of justice and also approval from your parents.....

And although superb is a fine car, come on....it`s skoda...... :rofl:

I have just ditched my c class merc for a superb. I almost bought another c class but saw the light.

When the merc salesman called me to ask "had I thought anymore about another c class" I told him I had just bought a skoda superb, the phone went silent! I asked him if he had ever driven one, "no" was the reply. He hasn't phoned me since.

I have just paid £299 for two years servicing on my superb, including a brake fluid change, air filter and fuel filter change and also 2 mots!!!. My two years servicing cost me £800 at Mercedes!!!

My superb (170 dsg, rosso brunello) makes my c class (c200 cdi) look and feel like a horse and cart!!

Everybody who has been in my superb has had their expectations exceeded.

I am sure you won't be disapointed. However if you change your mind you can always go back to the merc showroom and ask to be flogged, ripped off and buy a car that is very common and very boring.

Snap - just about exactly my experience - except for the 17 year old wife...I worked out that I'll be saving around £1100 a year in fuel, tax insurance and servicing.

After having 2 A4 Avants I wanted something with a bit more room. Was thinking 2nd hand A6 Avant or a Discovery. (I have a caravan to tow).

I have had lots of experience of the Mk1 Superb and various Octavias in work so I had a look at the Mk2 Estate when it came out. Liked it a lot and ended up with the Dealers own car at 5 weeks old! It's a 170 DSG Elegance. Now had it 19 months, 22000 miles (3500 of those towing) and it's great! No major issues (1 ABS sensor fixed very promptly), very comfy, very very very roomy and as Topgear says 'the ultimate wildcard choice'

Can't think of anything I would replace it with except maybe an E Class Estate, but it's not worth the extra money to me.

I do regularly drive a couple of Mercs and like them a lot, but for me the Skoda is ideal.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!!

PS I don't think is't on stilts, the audio is excellent, my seats have never moved without my say so, the sat nav has taken me all over Ireland, Scotland France and England without a hitch (except for the one pulling the caravan!!), I am 46, have done the Guinness thing, like canoeing and mountain biking and have a wife who has been 17 a couple of times over and then some!! (but is still fit)

Edited by Hillhound

After having 2 A4 Avants I wanted something with a bit more room. Was thinking 2nd hand A6 Avant or a Discovery. (I have a caravan to tow).

I have had lots of experience of the Mk1 Superb and various Octavias in work so I had a look at the Mk2 Estate when it came out. Liked it a lot and ended up with the Dealers own car at 5 weeks old! It's a 170 DSG Elegance. Now had it 19 months, 22000 miles (3500 of those towing) and it's great! No major issues (1 ABS sensor fixed very promptly), very comfy, very very very roomy and as Topgear says 'the ultimate wildcard choice'

Can't think of anything I would replace it with except maybe an E Class Estate, but it's not worth the extra money to me.

I do regularly drive a couple of Mercs and like them a lot, but for me the Skoda is ideal.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!!

PS I don't think is't on stilts, the audio is excellent, my seats have never moved without my say so, the sat nav has taken me all over Ireland, Scotland France and England without a hitch (except for the one pulling the caravan!!), I am 46, have done the Guinness thing, like canoeing and mountain biking and have a wife who has been 17 a couple of times over and then some!! (but is still fit)

Hillhound,

Thanks, I had a couple of C Class Merc Estates and BMWs before and as the time came to change I started to look at lifestyle and matching that to the car. I have a big dog and like to tour and the Merc didn't cut it from that point of view. Maybe an Estate by name but only for the weekly shop. The E Class hits it for space, but then you start taking in all the other comparators you suddenly realise what a great package the Skoda Superb Estate is...and then you drive it and there is no more argument. And I say 'argument' because I have struggled with myself over this one and I'm happy to say it wasn't the badge that won me over but the car itself. When I've told friends, particularly Audi drivers that I'm getting a Skoda quite a number have come out and said they were looking hard at one as well.

Pleased about the 4x4 too as last winter finished me with Merc.

I was interested to see our PM swish off from No 10 in his Jag (I think). Here in Northern Ireland (where common sense always prevails :( ) its good to see our Ministerial cars are Skoda Superbs. - not to mention the police service and our fast response ambulences.

My own will be about 10 weeks when I pick it it up and I'm really starting to scratch.

With all these fit wives around, I'm starting to wonder do they come with the car instead of flowers? ;)

Flowers!!

I never even got an umbrella!! Seriously check for your brolly in the back passenger door. Don't take no for an answer. Dealers are like toddlers, very crafty!!

The e class is a nice car but twice the price for a good spec with a few extras.

I have never had a seat problem, got lost, broke down,suffered dsg failure (done75k!!). I drive it hard, it never dissapoints. My stereo sound the business, the hard drive is bigger than my laptop!! I even have set the memory seat to my wifes setting for if she passes her test.

Flowers!!

I never even got an umbrella!! Seriously check for your brolly in the back passenger door. Don't take no for an answer. Dealers are like toddlers, very crafty!!

The e class is a nice car but twice the price for a good spec with a few extras.

I have never had a seat problem, got lost, broke down,suffered dsg failure (done75k!!). I drive it hard, it never dissapoints. My stereo sound the business, the hard drive is bigger than my laptop!! I even have set the memory seat to my wifes setting for if she passes her test.

Oh righto - no flowers...bottle of Budvar?...wave good bye even? Oh well.

I've already checked the brolly bit and I'm assured its there waiting for me as it should be.

My first Superb (Mk1) replaced a top of the range Merc E-Class and was in almost every way a better car at almost exactly half the price. After four superb years of fault-free motoring there was really no doubt as to what its replacement would be. Once again my new Superb Elegance Estate, now 5 months old, was not much more than half the price of the current Merc equivalent, and has already wafted my wife and me across much of France and Spain in considerable comfort.

I was pursued by the Mercedes sales folk for some years. It was only when I told them that I had replaced my E-Class with a Superb that I experienced that classic silence and the calls stopped.

Ashmount

Only just noticed that you are from NI as well!

As you say, lots of Skodas in public service here (are they going to get their pension cut!). And of course Value Cabs have a huge fleet of them.

Although I havn't had a lot of experience with them, I have found Mulhollands in Randalstown good to deal with both for my initial purchase and subsequent warranty/service/parts.

Have recently seen a few Superb Estates as Police cars, see below from BBC News

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/57117000/jpg/_57117977_accident.jpg

Ashmount

Only just noticed that you are from NI as well!

As you say, lots of Skodas in public service here (are they going to get their pension cut!). And of course Value Cabs have a huge fleet of them.

Although I havn't had a lot of experience with them, I have found Mulhollands in Randalstown good to deal with both for my initial purchase and subsequent warranty/service/parts.

Have recently seen a few Superb Estates as Police cars, see below from BBC News

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/57117000/jpg/_57117977_accident.jpg

I saw my motor in Mervyn Stewart, who have been very good to deal with too. I park quite close to where a lot of the Value cabs guys would stop for a chin wag between fares and found myself taking a hard look at the Combi. The drivers are very proud of their cars. Saw one lately out with a little tin and paintbrush blacking in his wheels.

What finally pushed me to a decision was the end of a really bad day where I missed my flight from London and ended up coming back to Belfast on the last available flight but to the wrong airport to where my car was parked. The airport taxi was a Superb hatch. As we cruised in near silence from road noise along the motorway I asked the driver how long he had the car. It looked immaculate and I thought it was nearly new. Not so; 2 years old and 100k miles on the clock. Asked about reliability - nothing other than services in that time, but he thought he might need a bush as he had a slight vibration in one wheel.

When I finally climbed into my C Class to wend my way home for the first time I was disappointed with it. Ordered my Superb about a week later.

Looks like the police combo was unmarked in your picture. The grill will be ideal for concealing those nifty little red and blue flashing lights they fit on the unmarked cars.

A

My first Superb (Mk1) replaced a top of the range Merc E-Class and was in almost every way a better car at almost exactly half the price. After four superb years of fault-free motoring there was really no doubt as to what its replacement would be. Once again my new Superb Elegance Estate, now 5 months old, was not much more than half the price of the current Merc equivalent, and has already wafted my wife and me across much of France and Spain in considerable comfort.

I was pursued by the Mercedes sales folk for some years. It was only when I told them that I had replaced my E-Class with a Superb that I experienced that classic silence and the calls stopped.

silence? that's good.. guess they know Merc cannot match the value of the skoda superb! and once pple switch.. there is no going back!:D

I must admit the silence of my Superb is very noticeable especially since coming from my agricultural Audi A4. The road notice from the tyres is minimal, engine noise is very low and there is an apparent lack of wind noise also.

I must admit the silence of my Superb is very noticeable especially since coming from my agricultural Audi A4. The road notice from the tyres is minimal, engine noise is very low and there is an apparent lack of wind noise also.

Here we can see how much the circumstances affect the noise. You say that the car is so very quiet,I haven`t seen one test drive here that woud say that superb is a quiet car..... B)