Snow Chains

As the OP I want to say thanks to everyone who passed on their experiences of snow chains.

I have taken the plunge and have ordered Thule K-Summit (K23) snow chains and will pick them up next weekend. I'll do a trial fit and if I remember I'll post here how easy they were to fit, and how long they took to fit; might also post a pic or two :)

Before anyone puts fingers to keyboard to say "you can't use them in the Uk", "in 25/30/45 years of driving I've never needed them", "winter tyres are all you need", "snow socks are what you need", please bear in mind I was not seeking advice about how to drive a car in snow, where chains could be used, or the merits of alternative traction improvement products; I was after first-hand feedback from people who had actually fitted snow chains.

Update time:

Took the plunge and bought a set of Thule K-Summit snow chains, model K23.

They are to fit (hopefully I won't need them though) 205/55R16 winter tyres that are fitted to steel wheels.

I picked them up this morning and as it was dry I did a trial fit on the drive.

Much dirty jeans and a wee bit of swearing later I got them on, I reckon 30 minutes in total (excluding using an identically sized summer wheel & tyre from the garage to confirm they would actually fit ..... it wasn't working on the fitted wheel so thought I needed confirmation they would actually fit round a wheel, they did but it was tight!).

Apart from it being the first time and I really didn't know what I was doing I think it was awkward because my winter tyres are relatively new so have loads of tread (ie they are 'big').

I also think it might be easier if the tyres were wet as the chains were reluctant to move on the tyre into their correct place in the middle of the tread.

I had to open the chains and lay the top 2 arms on the tyre (ten to two position), locate the chains as best I could, roll the car forwards 1/2 wheel revolution, position the other 2 arms (which were now at the top), and then manhandle/manipulate/push/tease the chains into place.

Once in place I could fit to one of the wheel bolts and ratchet up to secure in place.

The chains fitted out the box as they came fitted with 17mm wheel bolt adaptors (my wheel bolts are 17mm diameter).

In the (very nice) bag were 19mm, 21mm, and 22mm adaptors for different wheel bolts (obviously I don't need these), and a spanner.

If I ever have to use them in anger I'll post a review.

Surprised how difficult people think they are to fit. Plenty of chalet girls manage it alright on minibuses. :p

First time on with mine was with my car stuck, blocking the exit from a car park at a ski resort with a French ski instructor swearing at me. B) First time taking them off was at the same resort on the side of a road on the way into town nearly midnight on new years eve trying to get to a party. It was chucking it down and I couldn't see a thing. I slipped and dropped the still closed loop on one over the back of the tyre and got it caught around the half shaft. :rofl: Aside from that it was easy.

That said, I had watched a couple of vids on youtube before we went on holiday showing how to fit them. That was a big help. Watch a vid or two on youtube, have a practice on the car in the light and dry (having the wheel off the car is only going to hinder you - it wants to be vertical and steady).