'Which?' Winter tyre tests

jeep

Just published and interesting, although I take all this stuff with a pinch of salt, so too speak. The top performers in order were Continental WinterContact TS830 (smug feeling), Goodyear UltraGrip 7+, Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3. So these were the three best buys according to Which? Although I've seen the Continental tyres do very well in comparative tests previously, which is why i chose them in the first place, over so many other subjective opinions supporting other brands.

JP

Edited by jeep

Out of interest, does it cover A Yokohama winter tyre? I'd probably choose those three as my top ones due to reviews ive read tbh. :-)

Hi, Yes the other brands were, Maloya Davos, Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D, Vredestein Snowtrac 3, Yokohama W.drive, Uniroyal MS + 66, Nokian WR G2, Kumho I'Zen KW 23, Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero 2, Avon Ice-Touring ST, Firestone Winterhawk 2, Kenda Polar Trax KR19.

It would be useful if the cost per tyre was included?

And for those who want to fit winter tyres on a tight budget...

Were there any budget winter tyres that came up to scratch and at what cost per tyre?

It would be useful if the cost per tyre was included?

And for those who want to fit winter tyres on a tight budget...

Were there any budget winter tyres that came up to scratch and at what cost per tyre?

Hi, the three cheapest tyres out of this selection, Avon £85.00, Kumho £86.00, Kenda £81, all came towards the bottom of the pack, although the Avon had good wet braking and handling, but also the worst wear rating of any of the tyres. I should add that the Kenda tyres were found to have poor wet braking and handling, way behind the other tyres - so best avoided according to Which?

Edited by jeep

That's Which? for you - behind the curve, as it is so often. They managed to miss testing all the most significant new winter tyres of 2011: Goodyear UltraGrip 8, Dunlop Winter Sport 4D, and Nokian WR A2 and D3, settling instead for outdated versions of each. My reaction to their report was to ask myself (not for the first time) why I bother subscribing.

The better winter tyre tests come from Germany, Switzerland, and Austria.

That's Which? for you - behind the curve, as it is so often. They managed to miss testing all the most significant new winter tyres of 2011: Goodyear UltraGrip 8, Dunlop Winter Sport 4D, and Nokian WR A2 and D3, settling instead for outdated versions of each. My reaction to their report was to ask myself (not for the first time) why I bother subscribing.

The better winter tyre tests come from Germany, Switzerland, and Austria.

Yes I tend to agree, not really an expert guide on many matters. So many reviews can be found on the web now from more dedicated sources, it is quite easy to evaluate and see the direction the consensus is heading. That said the Winter Contacts received good comparative ratings from other sources when I did my research last year, and proved themselves to me in the snowy Chilterns last year, and they ride and wear well, so I hope to get a few years out of them just covering the winter months.

Anyone seen any tests of the Hankook winter i-cept Evo tyres ?? I am running these on my Yeti at the moment, but they have not really been put to the test as yet - the snow did not reach Cambridgeshire yesterday. I paid about 100 pounds a tyre from mytyres back in August - I think they have been advertised mroe cheaply since then.

Pete

Anyone seen any tests of the Hankook winter i-cept Evo tyres ?? I am running these on my Yeti at the moment, but they have not really been put to the test as yet - the snow did not reach Cambridgeshire yesterday. I paid about 100 pounds a tyre from mytyres back in August - I think they have been advertised mroe cheaply since then.

Pete

It came 5th out of 7 in a 2011 Auto Bild Performance Winter Tyre Test. Summary here http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2011-Auto-Bild-Performance-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm and the real thing here: http://www.autobild.de/artikel/winterreifen-test-2011-dimension-225-40-r-18-1944746.html

Out of interest, does it cover A Yokohama winter tyre? I'd probably choose those three as my top ones due to reviews ive read tbh. :-)

We've got Yohohama snow tyres on our Bongo 4x4 camper. We parked the Octavia and Fabia up and just used it all the time in the snow.

Last year in the bad snow they performed brilliantly, never got stuck once.

Snowplough3.jpg

Got the Yeti now though so don't need to use the Bongo for general use this winter.