Where did you get the light sensitive module for the coming home lights? eBay? Linky???

From Maplins - kit here £6.99

Will take some more pics and try to get a simple wiring diagram uploaded.

Karl :thumbup:

Presumably you could very easily link that into a relay or something to get a cheap set of auto lights too?

Yes your right already thought of that and will be trying it myself soon.

Really interested in the coming home lights and the auto headlights on when dark! Can any one help me!

Will try and get some sort of diagram up tonight.

Some more pics of the coming home lights install

Module installed under fuse box cover

LightSw.jpg

Sensor on dash (hardly visible)

LightSensor.jpg

Will see if I can post wiring diagram up soon

Simple circuit made from Light Sensitive Switch bought from Maplins

LightSW-1.jpg

If it is powered from the live with ignition rather than the interior light it will function as "auto side lights"

Thanks!

Couple of questions if I may?

If you open a door mid journey, say to let someone on/off, would it active the side lights? (I know it's not a problem as you'll have them on anyway with it being dark.)

I tried doing this with a simple relay (with some success), but I think it beeped when the side lights were used, as the door was open with no key. Does yours do that too?

After looking at the Maplins part, I'm guessing there's a potentiamiter (sp!) to change the light/dark cut off? And it says 24v output - so could it be used for high beams too? Or would it be too weak.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by TriggerFish

Thanks!

Couple of questions if I may?

If you open a door mid journey, say to let someone on/off, would it active the side lights? (I know it's not a problem as you'll have them on anyway with it being dark.)

I tried doing this with a simple relay (with some success), but I think it beeped when the side lights were used, as the door was open with no key. Does yours do that too?

After looking at the Maplins part, I'm guessing there's a potentiamiter (sp!) to change the light/dark cut off? And it says 24v output - so could it be used for high beams too? Or would it be too weak.

Thanks,

Joe

Yes if it dark and you switch off your sidelights it will then switch them back on.

Yes the car does beep when its dark as you open the drivers door only it does not do it on any of the other doors though (might be something that can be switched off with VagCom)

I can be a little bit annoying but what I've done for the moment is to place some foam in front of the speaker at the back of the instrument cluster which does not block it completely but makes it less annoying.

Yes you have to play around with the potentiometer to get it to switch on at the right level of darkness.

The relay is rated a 24 volts 10 amps which means it will be OK to switch up to 24 volts, but because the car is 12 volts it would only handle about 5 amps which is about 60 watts in total enough to power the side lights which if you are using standard bulbs would be about 25 to 30 watts but not enough for any of the main lights. If you wanted to do this you will have to use this circuit to power a larger relay or two.

Hope this helps

With the addition of an extra diode it will also function as automatic sidelight unit. The only extra thing needed is a connection form Live with the ignition on, as in the following modified circuit

LightSWmod.jpg

The reason for the diode is to stop the interior lights lighting up when the ignition is switched on.

The 3 diodes...... Are they going with the flow into the switch or against the flow?

I know anewman posted a link but just in case you didn't understand they do go with the flow into the switch

ie positive end towards the module, negative end towards the switch (negative end has a strip around it)

Hope that makes it clear

I know anewman posted a link but just in case you didn't understand they do go with the flow into the switch

ie positive end towards the module, negative end towards the switch (negative end has a strip around it)

Hope that makes it clear

lol! Yeah i understood it but its good to hear someone back up what i though! I got hold of the lighting module but im a bit annoyed at maplins for not actually selling it made up! Looks like im going to be getting the soldering iron out! :doh:

Sorry should have made it clear the you had to solder it together yourself but it does say kit lol

Anyway a number of people have asked could I do a complete made up kit with all wiring etc all set up and ready to go.

So considering doing it as some people unlike you do not have the necessary skills and equipment to do this sort of thing.

Karl

Sorry should have made it clear the you had to solder it together yourself but it does say kit lol

Anyway a number of people have asked could I do a complete made up kit with all wiring etc all set up and ready to go.

So considering doing it as some people unlike you do not have the necessary skills and equipment to do this sort of thing.

Karl

not sure i actually have the skills i need but there is only one way to learn them! lol

Always wanted to do this!! How do I have the lights turn on when I unlock the car? Help would be great! Cheers Jay

When you unlock your car the interior light should turn on, hence the wiring diagram showing the unit hooked up to the interior light :) The interior light also stays turned on for a short time after the door is closed.

When you unlock your car the interior light should turn on, hence the wiring diagram showing the unit hooked up to the interior light :) The interior light also stays turned on for a short time after the door is closed.

Hmm so what would I need to get to do this? And does it involve soldering? Thanks Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks

Just thought i would post an update i went to Maplin got the kit and gave it a go (failed i cant solder for toffee)so i sent message to Korban (a gentleman) and as a result of this i now have the kit which is well made and was well packaged.

This was also followed up by a call to further assist me with the wiring of same.

So if your having any probs you know where to go (by the way im not on commission)

Regards Whoosh

Just a thought.... from what i've read on here about wiring up footwell lights, you either go up the A pillar to the roof light if you want them on when the doors open or to the back of the light control switch to go on with the sidelights. Couldn't these lights be added to your circuit board for the best of both worlds?

Great idea with the coming home lights, I have bought the circuit and its all working but i was just wandering what diodes you used to restrict flow direction for the connection to the side lights? Were they from Maplin?

Jack

Hmm so what would I need to get to do this? And does it involve soldering? Thanks Jay

Just to give you an idea as to what tools you need to do this properly

Tools.jpg

Can be done with just a basic soldering iron but damn sight easier with the correct kit !

Hi Folks

Just thought i would post an update i went to Maplin got the kit and gave it a go (failed i cant solder for toffee)so i sent message to Korban (a gentleman) and as a result of this i now have the kit which is well made and was well packaged.

This was also followed up by a call to further assist me with the wiring of same.

So if your having any probs you know where to go (by the way im not on commission)

Regards Whoosh

Thanks Whoosh, let me know how you get on.

Just a thought.... from what i've read on here about wiring up footwell lights, you either go up the A pillar to the roof light if you want them on when the doors open or to the back of the light control switch to go on with the sidelights. Couldn't these lights be added to your circuit board for the best of both worlds?

Yes shouldn't be a problem, I will look into it.

Great idea with the coming home lights, I have bought the circuit and its all working but i was just wandering what diodes you used to restrict flow direction for the connection to the side lights? Were they from Maplin?

Jack

Sorry Jack missed your post earlier, The diodes I used were 1N4001's which I already had, a better choice would be 1N4007 which are more common and slightly higher power. Might get them from Maplin but I normally buy from CPC

My link

Karl