Pavement Parking

bandrew465

@OldTrilobite exactly. Pavement parking impacts the pedestrian and especially the buggy user but in reality has no benefit for other motorists who still have to slow down for oncoming traffic. A lose lose…

Edited by SteveTheElder
  • Like 3

I think a blanket ban on "wheels on the pavement" would be impractical in many parts of the Country.

Fine in areas like this in Edinburgh

1169821591_Screenshot2023-11-12at07-51-55GoogleMaps.thumb.png.bc8ad283063485fa18fd6105b86e3116.png

But more difficult in residential streets like this in Salford

1649993023_Screenshot2023-11-12at08-03-12GoogleMaps.thumb.png.1334747ecaaf67503b85caa8dbaf6539.png

A couple of cars are too far on the pavement but most have left plenty of room for Wheelchair users and pushchairs to pass. So where space is available it should be used for the benefit of everyone.

The council where i live deal with dropped kerb infringement, £30 fpn. The people monitoring that could easily take on the size of gap left with photographs and issue tickets in the same way.

As for hindering traffic on busy roads, that is why we have that idea of putting yellow lines down for where Parking is not allowed.

• Confused 1

@Stonekeeper4 countries make up UK & Northern Ireland.

So the new regulations are about Scotland i believe and 'the First City in Scotland' to introduce the ban.

The thing is the Exclusions can cause issues, but as i said there are By-Laws already in Scotland and towns where they enforce no Pavement parking, 

and as for Double Yellow Lines or restrictions on the road so people park on the pavement there are Police Officers deal with that not just Traffic Wardens.

Fining people is all good and well, but you have no idea how many have had issues with that vehicle before action is being taken, and it should be removed, not just getting a ticket for a Registered Keeper or Driver.

Maybe give the Driver a Community Pay Back Order of 20 hours litter picking.'

Screenshot 2023-11-12 08.56.02.png

Screenshot 2023-11-12 08.56.42.png

Edited by Rooted
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

Are the White Vans maybe all the same contractors there doing work at the time and not going to be parked overnight. 

Head for thinking, feet for dancing. 

Quite possible. white van drivers tend to have no consideration for the inconvenience they cause whilst at work.

(It's been interesting whilst researching this topic how many Newspapers cannot spell in their reporting of Councils efforts to curb people parking on the kerb.)

They all appear to use American spell checkers?

• 3 weeks later...

Pavement parking. A double-edged sword.

I live in a narrow road and am disabled, so in a normal width road, I'd be entitled to a disabled space. But my road (, according to county) is too narrow for a disabled space. We've asked county councillor to see what can be done. Ideal solution would be to reduce pavement width and have a one way system adopted. But county have no funds for this, and central Govt wont help.

So it appears that if you live in a road where you're all homeowners, help is there. Live in a road where its narrow and partially owned, Rishi & mates say, stuff you.