Estate tyre pressures

Paul R T

Hi All

I have just bought a Superb Estate SE 170 CR (June 2010) - and have just joined this forum. The tyres are 225/45 R17 94W and I will be useing it frequently to tow our caravan. The tyre pressure recommendations shown on the filler cap are 2.2 bar front and rear for lightly laden, and 2.4 front, 3.1 rear, for fully laden.

I have two queries:

Scanning this forum over the past two evenings I have come across a post suggesting that Skoda have subsequently (since June 2010) changed their tyre pressure recommendations. Does anyone have any info on this?

Secondly, when I am towing the caravan, there are just two of us in the car (plus the dog!), but not too much other weight other than the 80kg noseweight of the caravan on the towball. Does this equate to fully laden for the purpose of tyre pressures? Any comments from other caravanners using this model?

Thanks in advance for any help and info.

Cheers

Paul

Hi All

I have just bought a Superb Estate SE 170 CR (June 2010) - and have just joined this forum. The tyres are 225/45 R17 94W and I will be useing it frequently to tow our caravan. The tyre pressure recommendations shown on the filler cap are 2.2 bar front and rear for lightly laden, and 2.4 front, 3.1 rear, for fully laden.

I have two queries:

Scanning this forum over the past two evenings I have come across a post suggesting that Skoda have subsequently (since June 2010) changed their tyre pressure recommendations. Does anyone have any info on this?

Secondly, when I am towing the caravan, there are just two of us in the car (plus the dog!), but not too much other weight other than the 80kg noseweight of the caravan on the towball. Does this equate to fully laden for the purpose of tyre pressures? Any comments from other caravanners using this model?

Cheers

Paul

I think this model failed the elk test with standard tyre pressures because a tyre rolled off one of the front rims with the car slightly overloaded. Skoda subsequently recommended higher pressures.

The front tyres on my same model were down to the wear marks at only 17,500kms on the original Skoda recommended pressures. Skoda said this was normal despite the fact that my style of driving used to get 20,000mls+ (not kms) from a set of fronts on a Superb I 2.5 Tdi auto in the UK.

The replacement tyres on the 170 CR Wagon are at the higher 36psi recommended by the tyre fitter and it steers way better. Hopefully the tyre wear will also be better and all four tyres will stay on the wheels in a 'roo test (not many elks in Australia).

Cheers

Paul

No where near fully laden...you have 638kg between the empty weight of the car and its max weight. Assuming 2 people @ 75kg each, a dog of 15Kg, the towbar (perhaps 30kg) and the 80kg noseweight of the van, that comes to 275kg. If all your clobber is in the van and you've got an empty boot then you'll only need a bit more pressure in the rear tyres, perhaps half way between 2.2 bar and 3.1 bar.

I tow a van at close to max weights so when fully loaded for holiday I'll change tyre pressures accordingly but a bit of guesswork is needed if you're nowhere near the max. When I'm towing the van empty (on my own) to/from servicing or storage I don't bother changing tyre pressures...no need.

cheers Simon

Hi!

Two things: failed elk test was on the 18' tires, the other sizes was OK. The other issue is the weight of the car. It IS heavier than the spec say it is. Therefore the higher recommendations. I cant speak wisely about towing so in my non-towing world I'll go with 2.7 all around for a longer (heavier loaded) trip.

/Superbjoser