On starting

Over the last 3 days on starting the car it has been very lumpy as if it was a 2 stroke starting

I can give it a rev but it then sounds like a lolly stick in a bike wheel for a few seconds

There are no warning lights on the dash, could it be glow plugs or an injector causing the problem.

Once its warmed up its OK thats after giving it a good revving while driving

Well thats the thumping noise constant under acceleration, even blipping the peddle,and when idling its as if its running on 3 cylinders, drove it home 10 miles tonight what a racket still no lights on dash

How much are injectors and what type will I need for mine

Edited by skippy41

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Octavia-Mk2-1Z-1-9L-Diesel-Injector-0414720215-/270836302310?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0f1a01e6

Is this the one I need????????????????

It looks like it has an electrical connection on the side is that correct???

It should be, check this other ebay listing for reference. Its the same part number but their listing gives details of the models and engine codes it will fit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-PDE-Unit-Injector-1-4-TDI-1-9-TDI-0414720215-/270615204989

It says that injector part number is suitable for 'Octavia 1.9 TDI ( BKC, BXE, AXR, BJB Engine Code )' so should be ok.

Do you mean the plastic engine cover? The injectors are under the cam cover on PD engines so this needs to come off too.

Yes the big plastic engine cover was removed all I could see where the glow plugs so I take it the injectors are on the other side and awkward to get to.

Anyone got a picture of where they are, and instructions

I wonder if the could be replaced free of charge just like the ones on the injector thread do you thing thats a possibility at 187,000 miles???

Edited by skippy41

Yes the big plastic engine cover was removed all I could see where the glow plugs so I take it the injectors are on the other side and awkward to get to.

No, as mentioned above they are under the cam cover. After you have removed the plastic engine cover you need to then remove the cam cover to expose the injectors.

I wonder if the could be replaced free of charge just like the ones on the injector thread do you thing thats a possibility at 187,000 miles???

Skoda are only replacing a batch of injectors that are known to be faulty, this is on the PD170 engine only.

Do you know for sure that an injector is the cause yet?

No, as mentioned above they are under the cam cover. After you have removed the plastic engine cover you need to then remove the cam cover to expose the injectors.

So they are under the rocker cover lid not on the outside of the engine??

Skoda are only replacing a batch of injectors that are known to be faulty, this is on the PD170 engine only.

Do you know for sure that an injector is the cause yet?

No, but its a loud thumping sound as if its running on 3 cylinders it sounds like a canal boat engine if that helps

Edited by skippy41

Yes they are under the rocker/cam cover.

The fault could be the injector wiring loom rather than the injector itself. A scan with VCDS would help to establish the exact cause.

just orders this http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_GDVAGPRO_16.html#product_information soI will have one to tell me soon

How much does stealer injectors cost for the 1.9 tdi 105 bhp and looms just in case anyone???

sounds like your camshaft is worn take off the rocker cover and have a good look at the camshaft loabs they should be fearly pointy you will see the difarance by compering one to another

Surely they wouldn't wear that much in 3 days ?!

Surely they wouldn't wear that much in 3 days ?!

they wear over a long time and it happens because the rong oil has been used the noise realy only becomes noticable when it gets to the point when it is not opening the valves anymore so it will sound ok then get bad realy fast

I have just abandons the car just over a quarter of a mile from my house and called the AA, so hopefully will know what the problem is soon

Just wondering if it could be the belt adjuster???? as it starts fine

Edited by skippy41

Well AA has been, and he said the exhaust is blowing back through the manifold air-box???? so could be a sticky valve,injector or egr valve, no faults showing on his vagcom, could not do anything by the road side and the garage is closed till Wed and not to drive it :doh:

Well AA has been, and he said the exhaust is blowing back through the manifold air-box???? so could be a sticky valve,injector or egr valve, no faults showing on his vagcom, could not do anything by the road side and the garage is closed till Wed and not to drive it :doh:

ITS THE CAMSHAFT!

Edited by nath17t

Have you really been driving it for three days waiting for it to breakdown?

If my engine was running rough or sounding very different to normal I'd be straight home / to the dealer.

Have you really been driving it for three days waiting for it to breakdown?

I guess the "breakdown" just over 1/4 mile away from home may have been related in some way to not having Homestart on his AA cover ....or it could have been pure coincidence of course ;)

This is what mine sounds like exactly

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/camshaft-inspection-replace-vw-tdi.htm

And the cure

Lifters, cam, and bearings, £300 approx plus fitting £100 approx, will know for definite tomorrow

Edited by skippy41

So can we assume the car has not been run on the correct VW spec oil for all of it's life, or just that it's got a super high mileage?

Would go some way to explain the poor fuel consumption you've been having though.

The car has always had the correct grade of oil, its just the mileage that has taken its toll

Managed to get it in this morning and the mec will strip it down and see what it needs

I showed him the repair link as he has never seen a car with this problem, so its either just a £90 job if its just the lifters or £300 if the cam needs changing