Reflections on a 2011 Yeti year

calv123

I've now had my Yeti for a year and have done about 8000 miles in it. So for me it's still early days yet and there's not much I can say that hasn't already been covered by other contributors more eloquently than I can express. In summary: it's done what I expected it to, it's comfortable feels solid, it hasn't gone wrong, fuel consumption has been OK - not as good as previous Octavia, but to be expected given it's a 4x4 and must be pretty good compared to other makes. It's coped very well with family use. I had been concerned I'd miss the cavernous boot of my previous estate, but the Yeti's is just big enough on most occasions. I did have to use a roofbox for the Christmas holiday trip south to carry the vast/obscene amount of presents - maybe someone can inform me of the appropriate collective noun - a 'sleigh' of presents? The height of Yeti isn't ideal for fitting and ease of use of a roofbox, but in the scheme of things a small inconvenience. Overall, I'm very happy with it and will probably keep it for several more years.

To me of more interest has been the year of posts in this forum. I found this forum by searching for waiting times and got drawn in to reading the often informative, interesting and entertaining posts. There are some people on here who are very dedicated to helping others, or maybe they just have too much free time, but whatever, thanks to all of you and to the moderators for running the site. While I do occasionally look at other forums on Briskoda this is the one I read most.

If there were awards for 2011 forum posts, this would be my starter list with an apology first of all for those of you I've not mentioned as so many of you make worthwhile regular contributions. For the Haynes manual award of technical help I'd nominate The Plumber, also a future contender for lifetime achievement award throughout Briskoda. For the Blue Peter award of 'here's one I made earler' - 900000 with special mention for silver steelies. For services to off-roading Rockhopper and Llanigraham. Funniest post, well - that's even more subjective - in the debate about acronyms vs abbreviations,I think it possibly started off about a topic on DMFs or SMFs, there was for me a particularly succinct gem from Bobdog. Controversy of the year award goes to our correspondent from Taiwan for his choice of user name that can't be named any more, though a close run thing with winter tyres, Shell fuel, moving of posts to a better site on Briskoda (glad nearly everyone stayed in the end) ..... I could go on and on with categories, but I'd better get my wife some breakfast before she complains I'm wasting time on 'that site' again.

I wish you all a great year I look forward to your 2012 posts.

I've now had my Yeti for a year and have done about 8000 miles in it. So for me it's still early days yet and there's not much I can say that hasn't already been covered by other contributors more eloquently than I can express. In summary: it's done what I expected it to, it's comfortable feels solid, it hasn't gone wrong, fuel consumption has been OK - not as good as previous Octavia, but to be expected given it's a 4x4 and must be pretty good compared to other makes. It's coped very well with family use. I had been concerned I'd miss the cavernous boot of my previous estate, but the Yeti's is just big enough on most occasions. I did have to use a roofbox for the Christmas holiday trip south to carry the vast/obscene amount of presents - maybe someone can inform me of the appropriate collective noun - a 'sleigh' of presents? The height of Yeti isn't ideal for fitting and ease of use of a roofbox, but in the scheme of things a small inconvenience. Overall, I'm very happy with it and will probably keep it for several more years.

To me of more interest has been the year of posts in this forum. I found this forum by searching for waiting times and got drawn in to reading the often informative, interesting and entertaining posts. There are some people on here who are very dedicated to helping others, or maybe they just have too much free time, but whatever, thanks to all of you and to the moderators for running the site. While I do occasionally look at other forums on Briskoda this is the one I read most.

If there were awards for 2011 forum posts, this would be my starter list with an apology first of all for those of you I've not mentioned as so many of you make worthwhile regular contributions. For the Haynes manual award of technical help I'd nominate The Plumber, also a future contender for lifetime achievement award throughout Briskoda. For the Blue Peter award of 'here's one I made earler' - 900000 with special mention for silver steelies. For services to off-roading Rockhopper and Llanigraham. Funniest post, well - that's even more subjective - in the debate about acronyms vs abbreviations,I think it possibly started off about a topic on DMFs or SMFs, there was for me a particularly succinct gem from Bobdog. Controversy of the year award goes to our correspondent from Taiwan for his choice of user name that can't be named any more, though a close run thing with winter tyres, Shell fuel, moving of posts to a better site on Briskoda (glad nearly everyone stayed in the end) ..... I could go on and on with categories, but I'd better get my wife some breakfast before she complains I'm wasting time on 'that site' again.

I wish you all a great year I look forward to your 2012 posts.

Hear, hear to that - couldn't have put it better - the site is A1 and that is definitely due to the aforementioned and all the other contributors. May I too add my best wishes to everybody for 2012, hope it is a good one for you all.

Honoured to be mentioned in such illustrious company - those blokes tell us all useful things, I just do silliness! Best wishes to all - let's have more of it all in 2012 (26k miles and going strong).

Awh... a Blue Peter award. Bless. Ta. :blush:

Like you I really enjoy the people on here, the banter, the jokes and humour. But most of all I enjoy the knowledge out there about our great little Beastie that is the Yeti. I've had mine just over a year now and it has done just over 12,000 enjoyable miles and about a third of that number in posts on here. :blush:

Hi All

Happy New Year!

I've also just completed a year of running our 1.2 TSI DSG Yeti. I do miss the mpg of the diesel Octavia but on most reasonable runs (20 miles) I'm managing 40 mpg so not too bad. Very happy with ease of getting in and out, comfort of seat and performance of car. No problems so far after 5000 miles.

The Briskoda Yeti group is an endless source of useful information and quite a bit of amusement.

So thanks to you all, and keep up the good work!

Fred