recommendations for roof rack/roof bars

Hi after some advise on roof bars for a octavia mk1 5 door 4x4 is there any particular ones that are better than others would be used for carrying a surf board :)

Hi Dandelph

I got Thule feet that clamp into the gutter fixing points and standard black Thule bars.

Really good quality and attach quickly and neatly just using a standard allen key.

To go with the bars I got the Thule bike mount and Thule Roof Box.

Whole lot is black and look great on my Black VRS.

Just use Thule website to get correct models to fit to the car. I bought mine from Halfords for convenience. Not cheap but work well and look great.

Hope it helps.

Tris

• 4 weeks later...

I bought some from Amazon and fitted them and a ski box on top. There was a horrible whistle on the first outing. After much experimenting with gaffer tape covering different parts of the ski box and roof bar brackets it finally turned out to be the ribs in the alloy of the roof bars on top. A strip of gaffer tape along the top of each roof bar sorted the problem.

I have thule ones that clamp into the door frame, they were for a mondeo originally but with a bit of pikey love they fit the 4x4 :D But definately recommend thule as they are available as lockable. I know of guys that have lost board and rack at the same time.

I've heard good things about Atera. I have a set for our Punto in the garage but not even opened the box yet :giggle:

I can recommend this site to get them from - http://www.roofbox.co.uk/roof-bars/

I bought Cruz bars for mine as I was on a budget and also needed two bike carriers at the same time. The Cruz ones have been used probably hundreds of times now. During the summer they go on at least twice a week and are still going strong. Very good for the price BUT I've lost all of the plastic covers now (retaining clips snap) and the fixing bolts are cream crackered, the mounts themselves are starting to show wear as well. Basically after a few years they are ready for the bin but you pays your money and takes your choice as they say :p

Edited by lordrobs