New air scoop!

Had this little beauty made up in preparation for my induction kit, it covers the whole of the intake mouth that is currently there but gives it a ram effect unlike the original that catches the air as it passes, its no good at the moment because the original air intake pipe is square and this is round but will be ok to feed the induction kit with round ducting.

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

Comments ;)

Looking good!

The way my intake worked out I had next to no room for something like that, so I just used a "more conventional" way of sealing the gap between the Air filter intake and the cold air inlet.

How much did it cost to get made? Looks pretty simple!

Cost me nothing but the lad who made it asked me if anyone on here would be interested so i can ask him how much he would want if people are interested?

It's just a bit time consuming, its getting the angles right, welding and then powder coating.

Does look like a well made addition. Is it for cosmetic reasons or are you after performance gain ?

Usually a ram air intake has a divergent profile after the intake orifice to up the pressure.

It's more performance really as I'm getting an induction kit that has a round cold air intake, so it's better than placing the round pipe infront of the rectangular intake scoop.

Yes it's aluminium! I'll find out if he's interested in making any more and get a price.

The diameter of this on is 70mm I think, it's a peice of intercooler pipe he had left over so I said use that an if I need to I can get a silicon reducer off eBay for a couple of quid.

The fabia uses a 70mm piping so you've picked a good size :thumbup:

If it was me, I'd have it set up like the Forge kit. The filter being up out the way.

I'm going to be re-designing mines like that as I currently have the filter right at the air duct.

You should be able to get a sexy piece of aluminium piping made to flow around the battery instead of having the horrible looking tumble dryer piping like the Forge kit :rofl:

FMIND15.jpg

Thats my engine bay on Forges website.

The hose used on the Forge kit is pretty rubbish and started to wear through very quickly as it moved about and rubbed on the engine bay. I took it off pretty quickly. An aluminium pipe would be good, the only bit that is awkward is it also has to curve vertically a touch, so alignment could be fun.

Edited by E1uSiV3

Shame I'd need a 104mm feed.

Don't see why he couldn't use a 104mm pipe instead, I'll ask!

The fabia uses a 70mm piping so you've picked a good size :thumbup: If it was me, I'd have it set up like the Forge kit. The filter being up out the way. I'm going to be re-designing mines like that as I currently have the filter right at the air duct. You should be able to get a sexy piece of aluminium piping made to flow around the battery instead of having the horrible looking tumble dryer piping like the Forge kit :rofl:FMIND15.jpg

That's a damn good idea mate! never thought of going up past the battery with ally pipe, ones i get the filter, i'll see where it fits best. But the pipe up past the battery will be top of my agenda!

i think ally would be alright. better heat resistance than most plastics and its cheap while keeping the weight down.

carbon fibre would be my money no option choice but v.expensive.

i suppose you could wrap the pipe with heat proof tape like an exhaust manifold?

Its curious how Skoda havent moved the battery like they have done on the Ibiza.

They chose to bolt weights to the rear crash bar instead!! I guess they believe people would rather the spare wheel, which i guess you cant argue with.

weight8.jpg

Thats about as rudimentary as it comes.

Due to the high temp of the engine would the Ally be worth using ?

Don't see why not, it's gotta be better than plastic

id be well up for buying that scoop and pipe work if it was to be made up. just fit the filter around that to fit. be it k&n apollo forge or pipercross viper.

I'll hopefully see the lad in work tomorrow so I'll ask him what he thinks about making some. I'm going to be going for the Apollo!

i think ally would be alright. better heat resistance than most plastics and its cheap while keeping the weight down. carbon fibre would be my money no option choice but v.expensive. i suppose you could wrap the pipe with heat proof tape like an exhaust manifold?

All the above! you could wrap the pipe with the heat tape stuff but to be honest it probably wont make that much difference on my car, maybe on a highly tuned one. The amount of cool air blowing in should be enough to keep the air intake temp's cool, and I think it's going to be better than standard.

When I first saw the pic I thought it was one of these :)http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-cast-iron-effect-universal-hopper/72857#

Screwfix is down when i tried but can imagine it to be a t peice off a gutter or something :rofl:

Should be good enough i'd of thought, I'd love to get the ITG one but at nearly £270 it's a tad bit expensive for an air filter. And the forge one doesn't do it for me either at £170. It looks like a universal carbon one off ebay for £30 with their sticker on and the correct fittings.

What one are you going for next, the ITG?

The ITG is bigger than the forge and much bigger than the apollo. That's for a reason.

There's two ways of reducing the filter restriction.

1- larger surface area

2- make the filter less restrictive allowing larger particles through.

I see that Apollo as coming under number 2. Id be happier in the knowledge that my filter was actually filtering the incoming air to the correct standard.

You can order the parts for an ITG and build your own. Much cheaper option.

I like this fabrication idea might have a snoop around and work and see what materials i can find, might by a filter that will clamp on to the hoseing and build a shield around it and a pipe comeing off the side.....sort of like the forge one buy full alliminuim