Coilovers

joten

Hi,

I have a Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo 77KW 105TSI.

The car is absolutely great and i love it! (my first skoda, used to be a JAP car fan)

Buuuuuuuut, my Opinion is that the car is to tall and the suspension is to soft. When i drive it i feel kind of driving one of these:

Small_Isuzu_truck_side_view.jpg

so i want to lower my car on coilovers.

What coilovers do u recomend for the Fabia Monte Carlo or the other kinds of MK2 fabsters?

Im thinking AP coilovers and i have read good reviews about them.

Edited by joten

It depends on what u have to spend i think ap are around 400 to 500 pounds i find them quite hard personnally.

I have weitecs on mine and the damping is a bit hard but otherwise very nice very little body roll and not bouncy.

Kw are the way forward but are slightly pricey.

Ive owned weitecs and kw and had i known what weitecs were like before i bought them i would have saved a bit extra for kw's

my budget is around 450 - 550 pounds...

I did have FK and Supersport on my earlier cars and the FK is stiff as a rock...

So KW is the one u recommend?

Yeah but they are about £700 but well worth the money

My previous polo had them on wound right down to the bottom and were still comfortable but were a bit high at the back

My polo on kw

IMG_0016.jpg

And my fab on weitec

IMG_0181.jpg

The polo was dropped about 60mm allround but could go down further at the back with the adjusters out.

The fabia was about 70mm but ive raised it a bit now

You can try Koni. They have FSD and sports for Fabia.

If money is not problem then go for bilstein.I had a B16 in my octavia I and let me tell you there was nothing like it :D .

It was still going strong for 3 years and one lac Km before I sold the car.

You can try Koni. They have FSD and sports for Fabia.

If money is not problem then go for bilstein.I had a B16 in my octavia I and let me tell you there was nothing like it :D .

It was still going strong for 3 years and one lac Km before I sold the car.

''Posted Today, 05:42'' GOOOOOOD morning! early on? :p

Nope money isnt really the problem, as i am buying suspension from the UK and not from Norway, where the prices can be multiplied by 3.......

What do u think about this?

http://www.fk-automotive.org.uk/websale7/FK-Suspension-Kit-AKX---55%2f40-mm---fit-for.htm?Ctx={ver%2f7%2fver}{st%2f3eb%2fst}{cmd%2f0%2fcmd}{m%2fwebsale%2fm}{s%2ffk-automotive%2fs}{l%2fEnglish%2fl}{mi%2f8-2834%2fmi}{pi%2f6401554%2fpi}{type%2fabhsuche%2ftype}{po%2f1%2fpo}{sf%2f%3Cs11%3ESkoda%3C%2fs11%3E%3Cs12%3EFabia%20%28Typ%205J%29%3C%2fs12%3E%2fsf}{p1%2fc4217d8fb6e552bfb157f2786cc7002f%2fp1}{md5%2f0234537bc539a6b7713a215106470be7%2fmd5}

Found it on a little google search yesterday! :)

Edited by joten

I'd say go for the AP or Weitec.

Give me a shout if you need any prices.

Damian @ DPM Performance

whats the price on the AP coilovers? :)

article number GF82-012 @AP

Edited by joten

I had the AP coilovers, and tbh, they were ok, no where near as good as KW or Bilstein.

I had them on my car when i was in germany where the roads were good. They performed well at the nurburgring as well, however i removed them within a month of moving back to the UK because they were to crashy on UK roads. I have the same thoughts of weitec coilovers as well (and yes i have driven a fair few with them fitted).

Im thinking of going with the Bilstein PSS10 B16 coilovers which are expensive but very easily adjusted to make the ride harder or softer so i can change between a road and track setting within 2 minutes. With KW this is much harder because in all their wisdom they put the adjustment knobs at the top of the damper resulting in you have to drop your suspension and strut to access it.

Personally i wouldnt go for cheap coilovers again. You are getting what you pay for IMO. A far better otpion than cheap coilovers are the spring damper combos. these offer equal or better handling characteristics than the cheapo coilovers, but much better ride comfort.

By far the best one ive tried to this date has been the bilstein B12 kits. These are essentially just eibach or H&R springs matched to bilstein B8 dampers. The ride quality is outstanding, and the handling sweet as a nut. This is still an option i might persue tbh. I do alot of track day works BUT 95% of the cars life is spent on the road and not the track.

I had the AP coilovers, and tbh, they were ok, no where near as good as KW or Bilstein.

I had them on my car when i was in germany where the roads were good. They performed well at the nurburgring as well, however i removed them within a month of moving back to the UK because they were to crashy on UK roads. I have the same thoughts of weitec coilovers as well (and yes i have driven a fair few with them fitted).

Im thinking of going with the Bilstein PSS10 B16 coilovers which are expensive but very easily adjusted to make the ride harder or softer so i can change between a road and track setting within 2 minutes. With KW this is much harder because in all their wisdom they put the adjustment knobs at the top of the damper resulting in you have to drop your suspension and strut to access it.

Personally i wouldnt go for cheap coilovers again. You are getting what you pay for IMO. A far better otpion than cheap coilovers are the spring damper combos. these offer equal or better handling characteristics than the cheapo coilovers, but much better ride comfort.

By far the best one ive tried to this date has been the bilstein B12 kits. These are essentially just eibach or H&R springs matched to bilstein B8 dampers. The ride quality is outstanding, and the handling sweet as a nut. This is still an option i might persue tbh. I do alot of track day works BUT 95% of the cars life is spent on the road and not the track.

Thank u for your opion! :)

But, are the weitecs a soft kind of coilovers or the stiff kind?

If i where to go for coilovers, i would like the softest kind at about 350 - 550 GBP. any tips? :)

Also I wouldn't go for cheap on a brand new (or nearly new) car.

I have Weitecs from Damian on my Boca and they were a good compromise, they were good on the road but really not man enough for track work.

It's worth spending the money, I'd go KW V2 upwards to be honest, Billies being a very good choice. Buy once, buy right.

Also I wouldn't go for cheap on a brand new (or nearly new) car.

I have Weitecs from Damian on my Boca and they were a good compromise, they were good on the road but really not man enough for track work.

It's worth spending the money, I'd go KW V2 upwards to be honest, Billies being a very good choice. Buy once, buy right.

The coilovers i where to go for are only going to be used on the road. I dont do track days with the Monte Carlo :)

As i said, do you really need coilovers then if your not doing track? Whilst they are a cheap set of coilovers, that money could get you a set of highly regarded dampers and springs.

So you wont have cheap inferior kits strapped to your car.

Ithink so.

The bilstein B12 kit is massively improvement on the AP kit I had. The weitec kit felt the same as the APs. Yet they are all similar priced.

I'm planning on bilstein adjustable coilovers, but I was so impressed with the B12 kit I might fit that instead.

If you do trackdays or want the car really low then you need coilovers. If not then a spring damper kit is the ideal setup imo.

I feel the same about adjustable coilover kits. So many guys for instancebuy KW V3 coilovers but never actually adjust them, couldn't tell you what settings their on and the guys installing them just keave them on the factory pre set settings!! Why bother???, may as well just by a non adjustable V1 kit which is on the factorys pre-set setting already.

Are the B12's any good though? No doubt good quality from Eibach/Bilstein but they only go down 40mm according to Awesome. Just wondering if they are a genuine alternative to coilovers.

I haven't got time to adjust rebound/compression rates so V2+ ain't worth it for me.

Weitec vs. B12 vs. K1's :D

The B12s are IMO better than the weitecs and APs.

The KW V1 will outperform the B12 in the handling dept, but the B12 will have better ride quality

I personnaly wouldn't go any further than 40mm lower. Slamming a car doesn't make for better handling if anything to low will ruin it. The lower you go the harsher the ride and then you'll haveissues with humps as well