Fuel consumption dropped

ChrisBP

Hi, the fuel consumption of my 07 Superb 2.0 had dropped. Up until a month ago, I was getting an avg of 42-43 MPG, now, it has dropped to about 37.

I have had this superb for about 8 months now with no problems - had a 1.9 before which gave 41-42 MPG.

Any ideas why it should have dropped?

At the risk of siunding stupid - would the fact that we use the heated seats now be relevant?

Cheers,

Chris

It would... but not massively so. Heaters... heated rear window/mirrors? It all adds up. Along with cooler ambient temperatures so your car is slower to get up to operating temps.

Check your tyre pressures too.

There are so many variables, but the above are what spring instantly to mind.

Ah, I did have four new tyres fitted before Christmas - had Continentals on there before - were very noise - lile I was on a skateboard! Replacew with Perelli - much quieter. I will check the pressure.

I know winter diesel gived lower MPG - had my other Superb for several years, so know it drops, but this has been significant.

Thanks for the replies.

Chris

Edited by ChrisBP

Mine has dropped too to around 32 mpg. In the summer it returns 37 mpg on the same 7 mile commute to work.

Good luck with Pirelli! My ones developed a lot of noise after 15k miles - see sawed edges apparently. Have switched to winters now (Michelin) and dead quiet now.

In the spring, I am facing the prospect of having to buy a full set of summer tyres. Will not touch Pirellis ever again, even though the ones I fitted came very highly regarded, precise model 225 45 R17 Pirelli P7 Cinturato 91 load rating Y speed rating. Were very quiet initially and returned excellent fuel economy as well as traction. But I think the autobahn mileage I do has killed them. At lower speeds they might have been all right.

Mine drops about 3 or 4 mpg in the winter as well..... engine takes about 6 miles to warm up to a point where the temperature sensor is showing fully warm, tyres stay cool so pressures inside are less when moving, lights are on, heated seats are on etc.

Incidentally, after reading the thread I thought I'd take the good advice and go and check my tyre pressures and was amazed to read (on the label inside the fuel flap) that the recommended pressure for the front tyres on the V6 is 38 psi (2.6 bar). I've normally pumped them up to around 32 psi for some reason, so I tried it at 38 psi and the car certainly doesn't feel so much like a "nose heavy barge" now!!

I really must make more of an effort to read the labels on things .....

Mine drops about 3 or 4 mpg in the winter as well..... engine takes about 6 miles to warm up to a point where the temperature sensor is showing fully warm, tyres stay cool so pressures inside are less when moving, lights are on, heated seats are on etc.

Incidentally, after reading the thread I thought I'd take the good advice and go and check my tyre pressures and was amazed to read (on the label inside the fuel flap) that the recommended pressure for the front tyres on the V6 is 38 psi (2.6 bar). I've normally pumped them up to around 32 psi for some reason, so I tried it at 38 psi and the car certainly doesn't feel so much like a "nose heavy barge" now!!

I really must make more of an effort to read the labels on things .....

Good result, thanks for sharing.

Mine has dropped too to around 32 mpg. In the summer it returns 37 mpg on the same 7 mile commute to work.

Good luck with Pirelli! My ones developed a lot of noise after 15k miles - see sawed edges apparently. Have switched to winters now (Michelin) and dead quiet now.

In the spring, I am facing the prospect of having to buy a full set of summer tyres. Will not touch Pirellis ever again, even though the ones I fitted came very highly regarded, precise model 225 45 R17 Pirelli P7 Cinturato 91 load rating Y speed rating. Were very quiet initially and returned excellent fuel economy as well as traction. But I think the autobahn mileage I do has killed them. At lower speeds they might have been all right.

hey man how r u getting such a mpg ?

i have just drove my one 10 miles on M1 at 55mph on cruise control and i got as far as 30mpg which is not good for me

so....

same car same Auto-box what is the difference between our cars

i also just put new oil and filter just 3 days ago

???????????????

Get yourself a V6 manual ... averages 48mpg in the summer and 46 in the winter and will probably do a bit better now that I've found the tyres were running 6 - 8 psi too low.

To all V6 owners, if you're not running your front tyres at 38 psi and your back tyres at 35 psi, please. please try it. I've had the car for three years now and the increased pressures have absolutely transformed the handling and ride quality of the car, and I would say have given an extra 3 mpg on a 100 mile trip on A roads.

But that is on motorway right?

No that's an average of eveything .... town work, A-Roads, B-Roads, short trips, long trips. Am lucky enough to rarely drive in the city, so there's very little time sat in jams or queues. On a motorway at legal speeds it would be around 52 mpg on a long trip in summer.

My 02 reg

only gives me 22mpg around town

and on M roads only if slow and stedy max.40Mpg

I will check the psi in my tyres

also about to change my exhaust for cat free

and pipercross panel air filter

also just done oil change

and after all will use a battle of Redex injector cleaner

so will let u guys know

hey man how r u getting such a mpg ?

i have just drove my one 10 miles on M1 at 55mph on cruise control and i got as far as 30mpg which is not good for me

so....

same car same Auto-box what is the difference between our cars

i also just put new oil and filter just 3 days ago

???????????????

I find that the Auto Box takes AGES to warm up. And it's best to let it warm up slowly. If you slip the torque converter too much while it's cold it will cost you in gallons of diesel :-)

I use the tiptronic function to drop it into 3rd 4th and 5th as early as possible. Otherwise it slips, slips, and sloshes around too much and I can see the trip MPG barely climbing into the teens.

I find that mine is actually not that economical that 50-60 mph. It revs too low and as long as you are on level ground it's OK. But if you leave it in cruise control and approach a hill it will start dumping a lot of fuel in as the engine is off boost and not very economical. My economy is better the faster I go :-) Best around 70-75mph, where I get 45-48mpg, sometimes even 50mpg probably with tailwind. The hotter the day the better it gets (thinner air). I also find that the economy improves if I give 'er some throttle once properly warmed up and let the speed drop to my target speed then switch cruise on. For example, if I want to eco cruise at 75mph, I accelerate to 90, then release throttle and at 75mph hit cruise button. It tends to then stay more economical then if I accelerated to 75 and then hit cruise control. There is a lot of hysteresis in VGT (turbo) control and EGR valve, and it seems to drop into a more economical mode if approaching your target speed from top down rather than bottom up. :rofl: Try it.

• 1 month later...

HI All

i've got an 03 Elegance Diesel PD130 and the tyre pressures set at 32 all round.

Should I increase these to 38?

I've noticed that since I had them changed after an accident (don't ask) they're set at 32 and seem to feel a lot more bumps

You need a new fuel filter and air filter Chris.

Have you gone and bought another Superb, not a 2.0 I hope, you have haven't you, don't you read, that engine has terminal oil pump failure, happened twice to another cabby on Aqua and countless folks on here, 2.0 isn't as eco as a 1.9 due to the 10 BHP extra.

What am I going to do with you?

Edited by Supurbia

• 2 weeks later...

You need a new fuel filter and air filter Chris.

Have you gone and bought another Superb, not a 2.0 I hope, you have haven't you, don't you read, that engine has terminal oil pump failure, happened twice to another cabby on Aqua and countless folks on here, 2.0 isn't as eco as a 1.9 due to the 10 BHP extra.

What am I going to do with you?

Hi Ian, yeah, i did read about the issues with the 2.0. I believe the issues are to do with sludge blocking the pump.

When i got mine, it had just been serviced, but I got it serviced again a couple of thousand miles later by JKM. I got them to switch it to fixed service distance, but use the long life oil.

Its due for another service now. I will get JKM to flush the engine out, do a full service and use the long life oil again.

Consumption is back up to 41 now, so is okay.

Mine has done just over 100K now - was 89 when I got it - has FSH and was a bargain - £5K - and perfect condition.

It's not sludge that causes it Chris, it's a bad design fault, so be prepared to write it off if it goes, cabbie I know had it go twice on his, really sad, he bought it almost new just after I got mine, lovely red elegance with leather, if you notice the engine get any rattly noises you can't remember hearing before get it in for testing pdq, I would say this one has already had it done once as they normally only last about 60k, so be prepared for the worst if it arrives.

No early B6 Passats either in future, 07 onwards ok, before NO NO, I'm going back to VX or Toyota next time, I've had about enough of VW and their shabby arse ways.

It's not sludge that causes it Chris, it's a bad design fault, so be prepared to write it off if it goes, cabbie I know had it go twice on his, really sad, he bought it almost new just after I got mine, lovely red elegance with leather, if you notice the engine get any rattly noises you can't remember hearing before get it in for testing pdq, I would say this one has already had it done once as they normally only last about 60k, so be prepared for the worst if it arrives.

No early B6 Passats either in future, 07 onwards ok, before NO NO, I'm going back to VX or Toyota next time, I've had about enough of VW and their shabby arse ways.

Hi Ian, you say "I would say this one has already had it done once" - do you mean engine replacd - I have the FSH and no mention of it.

Was there a modification that was designed to counter the dedign flaw?

I must say, my first Superb was a pain in the a**e - several issues - most due to damage caused by Skoda dealers. My current one is really nice - no issues at all.

I spoke to a few people before I bought this one - a few indicated that servicing was crucial on the 2.0 - has to be done reguarly - hence why I use the long life oil, but have fixed servicing.

If you remember, I had planned to leave the UK some time back - but we got caught up with a few things - however, we aim to leave in Q3 this year, so the Superb only has to last us a few more months.

I would guess, if it was going to go wrong, it would have done so by now - IF its on the original engine - and as I say, no indication that it has ever been changed.

It doesn't wear due to poor lube Chris, it wears because it's got a shaft that rounds off because it's a loose fit shaft, make a ring with your index finger and thumb, then put your other index finger insice the loop you created and roll it around, this is basically what the oil pump spline is doing inside the pump drive.

There's no certain mileage for it, it just goes when it goes, cabby I know had it happen twice to him.

Hi ian,

Just found this http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b7-chassis/140949-2-0tdi-oil-pump-balancer-shaft-problems-definitive-guide-audi-vw-skoda-seat.html#post1431134

Seems to detail the issue well.

I may get the garage to take a look at mine to see which I have - if its the dodgy one, i may get a new / modified one fitted - depends on price!

Hi ian,

Just found this http://www.audi-spor...tml#post1431134

Seems to detail the issue well.

I may get the garage to take a look at mine to see which I have - if its the dodgy one, i may get a new / modified one fitted - depends on price!

Do you want the bad news or the bad news first?

The bad news is irc they all are affected, it's the SCC or SSC engine code, same as a VW BKP/BMP lump with a different i'd, so that's every 2.0 Superb as VW doesn't give Skoda the latest thing until it has to.

The bad news again is to replace that pump with a modded one it's about £1200 iirc inc labour.

The good news is there's always Autotrader to offload it on if you have to, cheapest option is get an extended warranty, a Skoda one would be best then they can't wriggle if the worst happens, the turbo's are made of chocolate as well just to cheer you up some more, as I'm finding out right now myself, that's another £1000 if I can't nurse it through until I replace the car.

btw incase you are now thinking get shot of, don't buy a Passat earlier than 57 unless it's a 1.9, and the one to go for is the 2.0 CR engine most commonly found in the Highline spec, way to tell is open the hood and the engine cover has fake manifold mouldings that go like this / / / rather than a PD which go I I I so don't get mugged off with a PD advertised as a CR, earliest CR is generally an 08 and not found in the SE,SEL or Sport models, but dealers will still advertise a PD as a CR including VW dealers either out of ignorance or dishonesty, that's assuming you'd ever want a VW anyway.

• 2 months later...

Hi

I bought a 07 skoda superb elegance 1.9 tdi 115 with 105k about 6 weeks ago, problem is I'm getting bad MPG.

Just had an oil change.

Urban best I'm getting is 36/37

Motorway best 51.

£90 diesel got me just 600 miles.

Is this right ???