Fabia 1.4 mpi temperature problem

Schm565

Hi,

Recently bought a 2001 Fabia 1.4 mpi which has a couple of annoying niggles! Hoping someone could give me some tips!

1. Temperature sensor fault(?)

The needle was stuck to the left so I've replaced the sensor. Even after about 30 mins motorway driving the needle was still to the left. On the return journey it did start moving to the centre point but then became unstable and started moving back to the left again (perhaps the old sensor was actually working - but at least it's ruled it out as the cause). The engine management light (and steering light) also came on (although they never had done before replacing the sensor, despite the temperature always reading cold). Restarted the car after leaving it about an hour and the steering light has gone off but the engine light remains lit.

Is it safe to keep driving it with the engine light on? Should I look at replacing the thermostat and/or thermostat housing?

2. Second minor point - After starting the engine from cold the throttle seems to stick on in between changing up gears - does anyone know if this is an easy fix, or should I just put up with it?

Hope someone more knowledgeable can help me out!

Thanks

Sounds like your thermostat has failed open and is over cooling the engine to me.

Ok, I'll look into getting a replacement then. Is there any way to check if it's broken without removing it?

Are there any other common culprits apart from the thermostat? The blowers heat up pretty fast and the coolant pipes feel quite warm after a short run

Cheers

• 1 year later...

Its ur thermo m8 just had mine fixed,was doing exactly the same as urs,also i had no hot air inside so had matrix flushed which was full of rust snd gunge,now it all wirks perfectly.only prob was i had to drive home with window open!!!!! Lol