I have my first rattle

It seems as though I have solved my tinny, metallic rattley, resonating sound that sounds like it is behind the glovebox and only really ever happens at idle, more so with the clutch down and then again when at 1500rpm, specially in slow traffic when holding the revs in and around that range.

As requested above here are some pictures of where it comes from in the engine bay and how I solved mine.

Engine1.jpg

Engine2.jpg

Engine3.jpg

Engine4.jpg

As you'll see from the first picture there is something else I am going to do as I believe the air intake box and air filter box moves far to freely and giving it a bit of a whack creates quite a rattle. My independent mechanic seems to believe it could give off a bit of an exhausty booming noise, which my car sometimes does, again at specifically low engine revs. So I am going to cable tie the neck of the air intake towards the front sill and create enough tension so that the two boxes no longer rattle when struck and wobbled. Also going to get new clips for the engine cover itself as that to moves a little to freely. Hoping that when those two things are sorted that my motor will be as quiet as it can be.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the pics and for the extensive explanation!! I will try to apply it tomorrow in my car. Also I think that the idea about holding the air intake it's great and will try it also.

New clips for the engine cover??

Hello, I've just checked my car's engine bay but it looks way different than yours, there's a big black plastic piece in the place that you've marked in your photos, reference 1K1 614 105 CM. you didn't unmount anything to get access to it , right?

7edurabu.jpg

3etytury.jpg

Nope, didn't unmount anything, but one thing I have just noticed, your profile says your car is the Audi TT and not a Skoda Superb?

If that is correct then it's not going to be the same as mine because this topic is all about the Skoda Superb II, and mine is the 2.0 TDi 140 BHP CR, hence the reason my pictures look nothing like your engine.

Edited by Chauf4

I haven't updated my profile, now I have a skoda superb combi (estate) exclusive tdi 140BHP DSG CR . I think that the engine code is cffb.<br /><br />My engine looks like yours but for the plastic piece I have posted the pic of.

Edited by javinv

Ah ok, had to check lol

The white plastic/bottle, looks like it's the brake fluid container but I may be wrong. Mine, I'm sure, is on the left handside of the engine block. I'd have to say I'm not experience at all with other variants of engine slotted into the Superbs, and so if it's different to what I faced with here then I'm at a bit of a loss to be able to help you.

What I found and did has totally worked for me, I have a noise free drive each and every time now. No tinny foil like metallic rattle/vibration/resonance anymore and no booming exhaust-ish type sound coming from the engine whilst holding revs or slowly moving through the lower rev range in 1st or 2nd gear due to securing the air intake system and not allowing it to move and rattle as freely as it did.

I hope you find a way to do the same or similar, I guess there is always a chance that someone who has your variant on the engine will be able to interpret what I did to mine to see if it can work on yours.

Good Luck :-)

Doesn't it looks like yours but for the black plastic behind the white bottle?

I can't believe you've solved that vibration.. I've visited my dealer so many times about it...

In the end you did the wire thing to secure the air intake? what kind of wire?

Could it be different because my car has the driving position on the left instead to your UK version? Could you post some pics of the left part of your engine bay, I mean, the mirror to the zone where you located the vibration cause?

THANKS A LOT

u4ahu8eh.jpg

ytymu3at.jpg

Edited by javinv

Ah, of course, your the other way around. You need to try and locate the engine bay wall nearest where your passengers left foot would be, if you see what I mean. It should be covered in a silver lining, if you can get your arm in there and give the lining a bit of a banging you might find, like I did, a bit that vibrates back at you after being struck. Then all you would need to do is pin down the wall lining to stop that area vibrating.

Ok understood!!!

As soon as I try it I will let you know my results. It will be around the end of the week since tomorrow I take the car to the garage for its first revision.

Could you post some pics of the air intake solution?

Thank you!!

I also have.. when car is cold

Yep my March 12 twindoor has the same rattle when its cold - it seems to fade away once its warmed up. I thought it was a door seal? I've not checked it out yet though.

• 2 weeks later...

Was in Skoda the other day and they said this was a known problem in the Superb..

They solve it by sticking foam between the heater pipe (if this makes sense) and the dash where they make contact, Would make sense in those cars that don't rattle when they are cold (like mine!).

Mine is out of warranty so it's a do it yourself job. Not too sure where to begin following a quick look though! Any ideas???

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on this as to how effective the various fixes are ?

Javinv, thinking about yours, won't your engine bay have a slightly different layout as your car I am assuming is left hand drive ?

Hi, yeah all the brakes system parts are opposite .

I have confirmed with another superb that the rattle comes from the air intake conduct and the solution is the one published here securing it.

As soon as I have it ready I'll post some pics.

There's also an error in the installation of the air intake box, but I have to look in mine if that's correct. Would solve the problem with the cover of it moving so easily ( in my car it's almost free)

Sorry not to get back sooner - have cured mine by removing side panel and stuffing bits of carpet in 2 accessible area around the glove box. Basically I wedged the glovebox in place and no rattle!

Not the correct solution but now out of mind!!!

• 3 months later...