Multi Function steering wheels and cold weather

Mr Hugo

I've got an Octavia II, and a a few of us have had problems with our multi-fucntion steering wheels.

I'm posting this here as well to ask if the problem has also been seen on any Yetis.

Does anyone lose function of the steering wheel controls when the car is cold (in cold weather)?

Relevant topics on Octavia II forum:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/205172-retrofitting-mfsw-to-octavia/

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/179372-mfsw-doesnt-like-cold-mornings/

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/225380-mfs-just-stopped-working/

It's an annoyingly intermittent fault which my dealer has struggled to diagnose, so I'm keen to hear from people with the same problem. Thanks.

Hi,

sorry to hear you guys are having issues. No problems with either our Monster or Fabia II FL which both have MFSW.

Daft question time but are you getting a lot of internal condensation :wonder: ask because that's one of the reasons I let my last Octy go; let to much moisture in somewhere. Feel sure that sort of issue could cause such problems on an icy morning.

Best of luck sorting it,

TP

Not seen it on my Yeti and I drove my two previous octavias in temperatures down as low as minus 20 and never saw any issues.

Sent from my motorola xoom using tapatalk

Can I ask? Is this associated with the lovely 4 spoke steering wheel; or that crappy 3 spoke thing?

and what is wrong with the 3 spoke perforated leather 3 spoke flappy paddle MFSW as fitted to Elsie then?

I might agree slightly with the standard smooth leather MFSW, I personally can't see the point in that, but I wouldn't call it crappy.

BTW I have not had any problems with the switches on the MFSW in the cold, just problems with the main relay, draining the battery in the cold. New part being fitted tomorrow.

Thanks all for your answers. It's good to see it doesn't affect most people. Suggests that when I can get the correct part replaced (still under warranty) I'll be fine. Just need to find out which part it is.

Daft question time but are you getting a lot of internal condensation

No, haven't noticed anything abnormal. But thanks for the suggestion.

I think it's a dodgy connection on the slip rings, and condensation could well play a part.