Ap's Mk2 vRS thread

apmaman

Well cars booked in for a its first service on the 5th, woohoo. I spoke about the misfires and they're going to look into it which is good....I'm going to asked about getting some things coded in through the Vag-com, one button open at least. What else can I get added on?

I've also developed a leaking roof, which is quite concerning. I have a thread in the general section if you are to look...

Other than that this "project" is pretty well done. I'm happy with the performance the TMC box provides and I dont want to go stage 3 until the 3 years is up warranty wise.

I have been drawn in another direction and I've picked up a new project for over winter... I have an old school 1962 VW beach buggy which is my new thing so I'll be working on that and leaving the fabia alone now.

FYI the threads located here,

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=270103

• 2 weeks later...

Well first service came and went.

Nothing they can do about the leak as they washed the car and no water was seen inside the car or head liner etc but said to keep an eye on it, and if it comes back bring it in.

Other than that, jobs a good'un!

Just noticed the new ITG intake, cool. :rock:

My issue is though, if you look at the actual intake used from the original one, there is virtually no air being captured !

I only found this out recently looking at the old one in the shed and it took a while to figure out exactly where the air goes in !

I'll bet there's more air getting behind the headlamp assembly (via the arch as well) than directly through the front.

I can see why ITG originally went the route of the headlamp as clamping it to the original housing at the front seems pointless.

When I get round to it, a pikey mod in the wheel arch seems the way to go, similar to the Mk1 for intercooling, but obviously in this case to feed the filter with more cool air.

Mines does connect to the original air intake bit but I dont use the fitting from the oem intake.. hard to explain but..

If you remove everything from the oem pipe work, even the thing thats held in with the two hex bolts you have a fairly big rectangular hole where the air would feed into.

I bought one of those universal air feed scoops from demon tweeks and fitted it to where that original bit was screwed into so I have maximum un-restricted air as possible feeding into it, the only restriction is the small lips from the grill to prevent water getting into it from the rain.

If you have the time and rescources a feed could be taken from down beside the wheels or perhaps even from the engine bay floor liner, with some gauze to stop rocks and crap from coming up the intake pipe, but thats way too much work for what little it would gain... Might as well just take a headlight out! haha!

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update.

I've had the car at Crail again, fastest I can seem to do is 14.0 / 14.1 with a 60ft time of ~2.1s. I think that is pretty good for a stage 1 car with all the interior etc still in the car.

I'm going to hang up my semi-slicks for now as I believe thats as far as the car can go without some serious modification which I do not have the money for at the moment.

Looking forward to the hybrid turbo news which has been coming from vagoc. I don't know why APR just dont buy the DSG software off the Auzzies, but I guess if a bunch of criminals can do it, so can the UK! :giggle:

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers fella.

ITG have "discontinued" this as it was too expensive to produce, and with the retail tag being so high to cover costs few were made. I was lucky to get one on ebay, however if you contact ITG directly im sure they will be able to sort you out.

• 5 months later...

Not done a lot to the car since. I'm actually thinking about getting rid of it come the second service. It's costing me quite a lot and I want to save up to buy a house, or head back into education to get a degree in Engineering since I can't get diddly with my HND.. Should of went there in the first place Id be almost finished by now... Oh well!

I have however got some really cool car mats

2013-02-07193138_zps3c2c1e85.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well its time to say goodbye to the Fabia.

I have agreed to end my finance agreements and I am on the look for a new car.

The Fabia, while it has had its faults with oil consumption and the odd dodgie elm light come up it's gave me a lot of smiles per miles. Realisitcally it wasn't that feasable keeping it any longer as I have been getting more and more issues with it, oil being one and it goes through a lot of fuel. I mean, a lot... So its time to cut off and get something a bit more sensible.

For a hot hatch it does what it says on the tin, can carry 5 people easily and still go like the clappers when you want it too, which is all you really want in a hot hatch isnt it? Enough room for your buds on a road trip and enough welly to give 90% of things on the road a run for there money.

If anyone has any questions regarding the TMC, ITG intake, varex etc etc feel free to drop me a PM.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That is/was my fabia thread too on fastcar forum haha. What a ****e forum tbh....

As for the intakes, you could get a silicone pipe work to feed the intake of the ITG if you measured out the dimensions of the intake apature, then some reducers or something to connect it to the air feed from the slam panel. If you used something like the demontweeks air scoop I used you could do it with a few pipes to get it all to match, would need a few trial runs to get it to all sit perfect but nothing stopping you. The only thing is siicone pipe isnt that flexible, it tends to collapse if you bend it to much then bounce back into shape when released. The tumble dryer pipe is excellent at flexing into any kind of shape you want. 

Performance wise the ITG felt better, but no dyno results to prove otherwise against the Pipercross. Many more cool points for the ITG as its all carbon fibre, and who doesn't love that?!?!