Help! Door locked issue (again!)

I've had a search on the forums and it seems not uncommon that Octy I doors mysteriously deadlock. I have the same problem with my '95 1.4 TSI.

The rear driver's side passenger door is locked solid. All the other doors work normally using the central locking and remote. I've tried simultaneously pulling the handle as I unlock remotely, kicking the door (gently!) as I pull the handle and pulling both interior and exterior handles simultaneously. All to no effect beyone winding me up. AFAIK, the car hasn't had any knocks or bumps that might cause a deadlock to misfunction.

Is this a regular problem, because my dealer says they have never heard of it before? They also suggested a day's work at presumably lots of ££££

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Please bear in mind I have figured out where the petrol goes and how to turn on the music but am otherwise mechanically incompetent, so will not be able to try reprogramming the warp drive or changing the fuse on the flux capacitor type stuff. So any advice needs to be simple(minded)!

Thanks!

No real use to you as I don't know if its common on Mk2s.

However I replaced the mechanism on my Mk1 as it happen to my first Vrs. For a quick fix I could knock/bang the door near the handle at the same time as operating the keyfob which would action the solenoid... sometimes :dull:

Thanks. I tried a few knocks with no success. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow.

As a related issue, anyone any views whether any work should be covered by the three year warranty? I know 'adjustments' to doors aren't, but in my view failure of a deadlock is a safety issue and hardly an adjustment ...

Edit: And if it's any help .. the door 'sounds' normal, in that it makes the same noise as the others when the central locking remote is used, which makes me wonder if the locking/unlocking mechanism is working but the deadlock is just stuck in the locked position .. if that makes sense?

And I tried more judicious thumping in different areas of the door; again to no success. :'(

Edited by TomGoodheart

As a related issue, anyone any views whether any work should be covered by the three year warranty? I know 'adjustments' to doors aren't, but in my view failure of a deadlock is a safety issue and hardly an adjustment ...

Unless it's been caused by mistreatment then it'll be covered by warranty, safety issue or not.

Unless it's been caused by mistreatment then it'll be covered by warranty, safety issue or not.

Also I am sure its an MOT requirement to have full operation/access of the doors??

Well, as Sod's Law would have it, the door had freed itself by 8.30 when I took Wifey to work this morning!! This despite it being stuck solid after me bashing at the door panel last night and no better at 7.30 when I cruelly sent Wifey out to take daughter to school (so I didn't have to get out of my nice warm bed!)

Whether the bashing helped free it or it was a whim of the Gods of Irony .. who knows! But I gave what I could see lashings of WD40 and got it to the dealers asap!

I'm pleased to report that they (Progress Skoda, Bedford) found there's a faulty latch and have ordered a replacement. As it's covered by the warranty it's all a welcome relief to find it sorted almost painlessly.

Apparently it's a rare problem in the current model. But in case anyone else does have problems, it's worth checking the latch.